Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How a windowing system is implemented in C ? Post 302888513 by Corona688 on Friday 14th of February 2014 04:37:40 PM
Old 02-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolatt
but my question is at a much lower level how the code accesses the bare graphics card?
Nobody except graphics card manufacturers has programmed graphics cards at the bare metal for over 20 years. If you want the best performance, you use the drivers they make. For UNIX, that mostly means using the drivers they make for X11.

Memory-mapped I/O is often involved, yes.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Free software like proftpd or wu-ftpd implemented under SSH

Anybody can to suggest to me a ftp software like proftpd or wu-ftpd (ftp with chroot for users) implemented with tunneling under SSH. Thanks in advance. Hugo. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hugo_perez
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What do you want to see implemented in Unix ?

Hello all, I just want to ask everyone what does he/she want to see implemented in Unix ? Applications, services, drivers, modules ? Just mention it here :) Thank you very much in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: core-ix
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X Windowing system

Hi All, I am new to UNIX. In a linux text I have seen that the display is managed by X windowing system. Please give some details about the working of X windowing system. Any help would be appreciated Thanks, Jaysamson (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaysamsonp
1 Replies

4. Linux

swapon: Function not implemented

Hi, Trying to add a swap file to my server as below: dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile1 bs=1M count=2048 2048+0 records in 2048+0 records out 2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 27.4514 seconds, 78.2 MB/s # mkswap -c /swapfile1 Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 2147479 kB # swapon... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris5126
6 Replies

5. Programming

Algorithm needs to be implemented in JAVA

Hi, I need to implement this algorithm in JAVA. I tried to write half of the code But I stopped in the other half. The algorithm: Marking procedure at router R: let R' = Bitlntereave(R, Hash(R)) let k be the number of non-overlapping fragments in R' for each packet w let x be a random... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ENG_MOHD
0 Replies

6. Linux

X Windowing Free Open Source Software at Windows Desktop

I am using a ssh session for my org Linux box to do all my installation work. Recently I installed a X Serve app but could not start its execution cause neither I am sure if X Server is running or not nor of how the app output (X windowing app) would be rendered on a Windows desktop from where I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uunniixx
3 Replies
services.window(4)					     Kernel Interfaces Manual						services.window(4)

NAME
services.window - file containing applications and their associated memory window ID DESCRIPTION
The file is used by applications using memory windows. Each line in the file associates an application with a memory window ID. A line in the file cannot start with a space or tab. The format is a unique name, defining the application, followed by a space/tab, followed by a unique window_id. See the sample file in Memory windows allows for the starting of a process in a unique or existing memory window where it can create and share objects with other applications in the same memory window. The creation of memory windows removes the system wide restriction on shared resources. Without memory windows, 32-bit processes were lim- ited to 1.75 gigabytes of shared resources. Each memory window allows for the definition of a unique 1 gigabyte quadrant and since multi- ple memory windows can be defined in a system, the system total for shared resources can exceed the 1.75 gigabyte limitation for 32 bit processes. The definition of a memory window is only available for 32-bit processes. The file provides a central place for memory window applications to associate their memory window IDs. In the event there are any colli- sions, only a change in is necessary to select another memory window for the entire application. If is not used, and user applications hard code window IDs in their startup scripts, collisions are not easily detected or easily fixed. A memory window application uses the command getmemwindow(1M) to extract the application's window_id from the file, and then passes that ID to the setmemwindow(1M). Using the same window ID places applications in the same memory window. EXAMPLES
Below is a example of a file. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. FILES
File containing applications' associated window ID. SEE ALSO
getmemwindow(1M), setmemwindow(1M). on services.window(4)