Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How a windowing system is implemented in C ? Post 302888513 by Corona688 on Friday 14th of February 2014 04:37:40 PM
Old 02-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolatt
but my question is at a much lower level how the code accesses the bare graphics card?
Nobody except graphics card manufacturers has programmed graphics cards at the bare metal for over 20 years. If you want the best performance, you use the drivers they make. For UNIX, that mostly means using the drivers they make for X11.

Memory-mapped I/O is often involved, yes.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Free software like proftpd or wu-ftpd implemented under SSH

Anybody can to suggest to me a ftp software like proftpd or wu-ftpd (ftp with chroot for users) implemented with tunneling under SSH. Thanks in advance. Hugo. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hugo_perez
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What do you want to see implemented in Unix ?

Hello all, I just want to ask everyone what does he/she want to see implemented in Unix ? Applications, services, drivers, modules ? Just mention it here :) Thank you very much in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: core-ix
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X Windowing system

Hi All, I am new to UNIX. In a linux text I have seen that the display is managed by X windowing system. Please give some details about the working of X windowing system. Any help would be appreciated Thanks, Jaysamson (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaysamsonp
1 Replies

4. Linux

swapon: Function not implemented

Hi, Trying to add a swap file to my server as below: dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile1 bs=1M count=2048 2048+0 records in 2048+0 records out 2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 27.4514 seconds, 78.2 MB/s # mkswap -c /swapfile1 Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 2147479 kB # swapon... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris5126
6 Replies

5. Programming

Algorithm needs to be implemented in JAVA

Hi, I need to implement this algorithm in JAVA. I tried to write half of the code But I stopped in the other half. The algorithm: Marking procedure at router R: let R' = Bitlntereave(R, Hash(R)) let k be the number of non-overlapping fragments in R' for each packet w let x be a random... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ENG_MOHD
0 Replies

6. Linux

X Windowing Free Open Source Software at Windows Desktop

I am using a ssh session for my org Linux box to do all my installation work. Recently I installed a X Serve app but could not start its execution cause neither I am sure if X Server is running or not nor of how the app output (X windowing app) would be rendered on a Windows desktop from where I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uunniixx
3 Replies
gfx_mode_select(3alleg4)					  Allegro manual					  gfx_mode_select(3alleg4)

NAME
gfx_mode_select - Displays the Allegro graphics mode selection dialog. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> int gfx_mode_select(int *card, int *w, int *h); DESCRIPTION
Displays the Allegro graphics mode selection dialog, which allows the user to select a screen mode and graphics card. The initial values at the addresses provided by card, w, and h are used as the default selections in the dialog if they are found in the driver and mode lists. If they are not found then the initial selections will be the first in each list. If you wish to ensure that the initial selection is always the first entry, then initialize the data at the addresses passed to the function to the value of 0 or -1. If the dialog is OK'd, it stores the selections at the addresses passed to the function. RETURN VALUE
See the gfx_mode_select_filter function for the return values. SEE ALSO
gfx_mode_select_ex(3alleg4), gfx_mode_select_filter(3alleg4), set_gfx_mode(3alleg4), gui_fg_color(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 gfx_mode_select(3alleg4)