Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How a windowing system is implemented in C ? Post 302888513 by Corona688 on Friday 14th of February 2014 04:37:40 PM
Old 02-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolatt
but my question is at a much lower level how the code accesses the bare graphics card?
Nobody except graphics card manufacturers has programmed graphics cards at the bare metal for over 20 years. If you want the best performance, you use the drivers they make. For UNIX, that mostly means using the drivers they make for X11.

Memory-mapped I/O is often involved, yes.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Free software like proftpd or wu-ftpd implemented under SSH

Anybody can to suggest to me a ftp software like proftpd or wu-ftpd (ftp with chroot for users) implemented with tunneling under SSH. Thanks in advance. Hugo. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hugo_perez
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What do you want to see implemented in Unix ?

Hello all, I just want to ask everyone what does he/she want to see implemented in Unix ? Applications, services, drivers, modules ? Just mention it here :) Thank you very much in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: core-ix
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X Windowing system

Hi All, I am new to UNIX. In a linux text I have seen that the display is managed by X windowing system. Please give some details about the working of X windowing system. Any help would be appreciated Thanks, Jaysamson (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaysamsonp
1 Replies

4. Linux

swapon: Function not implemented

Hi, Trying to add a swap file to my server as below: dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile1 bs=1M count=2048 2048+0 records in 2048+0 records out 2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 27.4514 seconds, 78.2 MB/s # mkswap -c /swapfile1 Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 2147479 kB # swapon... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris5126
6 Replies

5. Programming

Algorithm needs to be implemented in JAVA

Hi, I need to implement this algorithm in JAVA. I tried to write half of the code But I stopped in the other half. The algorithm: Marking procedure at router R: let R' = Bitlntereave(R, Hash(R)) let k be the number of non-overlapping fragments in R' for each packet w let x be a random... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ENG_MOHD
0 Replies

6. Linux

X Windowing Free Open Source Software at Windows Desktop

I am using a ssh session for my org Linux box to do all my installation work. Recently I installed a X Serve app but could not start its execution cause neither I am sure if X Server is running or not nor of how the app output (X windowing app) would be rendered on a Windows desktop from where I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uunniixx
3 Replies
Tk_GetGC(3)						       Tk Library Procedures						       Tk_GetGC(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tk_GetGC, Tk_FreeGC - maintain database of read-only graphics contexts SYNOPSIS
#include <tk.h> GC Tk_GetGC(tkwin, valueMask, valuePtr) Tk_FreeGC(display, gc) ARGUMENTS
Tk_Window tkwin (in) Token for window in which the graphics context will be used. unsigned long valueMask (in) Mask of bits (such as GCForeground or GCStipple) indicating which fields of *valuePtr are valid. XGCValues *valuePtr (in) Pointer to structure describing the desired values for the graphics context. Display *display (in) Display for which gc was allocated. GC gc (in) X identifier for graphics context that is no longer needed. Must have been allocated by Tk_GetGC. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tk_GetGC and Tk_FreeGC manage a collection of graphics contexts being used by an application. The procedures allow graphics contexts to be shared, thereby avoiding the server overhead that would be incurred if a separate GC were created for each use. Tk_GetGC takes arguments describing the desired graphics context and returns an X identifier for a GC that fits the description. The graphics context that is returned will have default values in all of the fields not specified explicitly by valueMask and valuePtr. Tk_GetGC maintains a database of all the graphics contexts it has created. Whenever possible, a call to Tk_GetGC will return an existing graphics context rather than creating a new one. This approach can substantially reduce server overhead, so Tk_GetGC should generally be used in preference to the Xlib procedure XCreateGC, which creates a new graphics context on each call. Since the return values of Tk_GetGC are shared, callers should never modify the graphics contexts returned by Tk_GetGC. If a graphics con- text must be modified dynamically, then it should be created by calling XCreateGC instead of Tk_GetGC. When a graphics context is no longer needed, Tk_FreeGC should be called to release it. There should be exactly one call to Tk_FreeGC for each call to Tk_GetGC. When a graphics context is no longer in use anywhere (i.e. it has been freed as many times as it has been gotten) Tk_FreeGC will release it to the X server and delete it from the database. KEYWORDS
graphics context Tk Tk_GetGC(3)