Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Network administration problem Post 302888463 by Auser on Friday 14th of February 2014 10:48:02 AM
Old 02-14-2014
Quote:
What I see here is that you are using commands specific to your OS, OS I dont use but what I see here is You did not give a GID, and I see no reason why thisOS would act differently to other UNIX, so not giving a GID the system will choose the next free value for you.
Now this can be a problem because you are to put 2 person in the same group but on 2 separate servers, meaning both servers should have in /etc/group a line with that group name and SAME GID, the logical way of creating such groups would be to connect on all concerned servers to see what is in /etc/group in order to choose a GID unused...
Ok, let me explain in a better way. There isn't a certain OS that I was asked to use, I just use RedHat because I enjoy it. It's not different than any Linux, of course.

I have thought of another way which is, can I create the group, then create the two users, while giving them the group's name as I'm creating them as such:

Code:
 useradd -G Example Lanson

# passwd Lanson1

# id Lanson

Would that be any better?

Quote:
All files created by Levette to have a default mask of 744
I believe what mask 744 does, is not of concern. Because, the question did not say it needed it to do x,y, and z. It just asked me to make his default mask 744.

I will be looking at the umask man pages. Thanks.

Quote:
c) We might have to discuss on this one ( how would the users connect - telnet login ssh? important to know what to do after...)
Yes, thank you. I thought about making an SSH but then I couldn't manage to do the setup, or write the codes. I've been trying to do it for a week now.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network Administration Software

Hi guys, I'm not very familiar with UNIX.. still have a lot to learn. I also interested in Networking... Can anyone tell me what are the tool or software for network administration which we can monitor our network activities such as network traffic analysis,can capture and decode network... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nucleus
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP-UX system & Network Administration II.PDF

Dear all, I plan to take HP-UX cert. EXAM. But, I cannot find hp-ux system & network administration II.pdf file Do you know where can I download?? Do you have? can you send to me? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkpcman
2 Replies

3. AIX

AIX OS problem? network problem?

Dear ALL. I installed AIX OS on customer sites. but Only one site is too slow when I connected telnet, ftp.. Ping is too fast. but telnet and FTP is not connected.. of course i check the configuration file on aix but it's normal. Do any Idea?? thanks in advance. - Jun - (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeon Jun Seok
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Sun blade 1500 installation and administration problem

Hi I'm completely new in solaris,and don't know many about it. I was installed solaris 10 on sun blade 1500,and also I need to install oracle on it. Now I stuck on some thing and i'm sure that you help me. When i started Oracle installation system told me that I don't have enogh swap space.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dirtyjack
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System/Network Administration Tools

Sorry for making this post so generic. I'm trying to see if there are tools that exist that look at local network/system configurations and find problems... for example: - NTP server configured that cannot be reached (can cause the system to drift because nobody is alerted to the fact that the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
0 Replies
GROUP(5)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  GROUP(5)

NAME
group - user group file DESCRIPTION
The /etc/group file is a text file that defines the groups on the system. There is one entry per line, with the following format: group_name:password:GID:user_list The fields are as follows: group_name the name of the group. password the (encrypted) group password. If this field is empty, no password is needed. GID the numeric group ID. user_list a list of the usernames that are members of this group, separated by commas. FILES
/etc/group BUGS
As the 4.2BSD initgroups(3) man page says: No-one seems to keep /etc/group up-to-date. SEE ALSO
login(1), newgrp(1), getgrent(3), getgrnam(3), passwd(5) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-10-21 GROUP(5)