Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Network administration problem Post 302888457 by vbe on Friday 14th of February 2014 10:20:32 AM
Old 02-14-2014
Code:
$ ipa group-add Example -desc="for ted and L and J only" [-nonposix]
$ ipa group-add-member Example -users=Lanson,Joanna

What I see here is that you are using commands specific to your OS, OS I dont use but what I see here is You did not give a GID, and I see no reason why thisOS would act differently to other UNIX, so not giving a GID the system will choose the next free value for you.
Now this can be a problem because you are to put 2 person in the same group but on 2 separate servers, meaning both servers should have in /etc/group a line with that group name and SAME GID, the logical way of creating such groups would be to connect on all concerned servers to see what is in /etc/group in order to choose a GID unused...

about b)
I dont get
Quote:
all his the files created by him to have a default mask of 744
What should I understand? Here is the problem:
Either you set the mask to 744:
Code:
 umask 744

and fins yourself with something silly because 744 means owner has no rights group and other have write only...
Or it is what the files perms should look like in which case I have never managed to get a created file executable like that...
Code:
umask 022

is the closest you can get, I suggest you look at the umask man pages

Since you created the group it will not have any sense if users dont exist.. So I cant help you with your fancy commands but sure you will have to create them...

c) We might have to discuss on this one ( how would the users connect - telnet login ssh? important to know what to do after...)

IPA look more like an LDAP business: IPA « Luc de Louw's Blog
http://docs.mongodb.org/ecosystem/tu...ty-management/

Last edited by vbe; 02-14-2014 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: added link on the bottom...

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network Administration Software

Hi guys, I'm not very familiar with UNIX.. still have a lot to learn. I also interested in Networking... Can anyone tell me what are the tool or software for network administration which we can monitor our network activities such as network traffic analysis,can capture and decode network... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nucleus
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP-UX system & Network Administration II.PDF

Dear all, I plan to take HP-UX cert. EXAM. But, I cannot find hp-ux system & network administration II.pdf file Do you know where can I download?? Do you have? can you send to me? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkpcman
2 Replies

3. AIX

AIX OS problem? network problem?

Dear ALL. I installed AIX OS on customer sites. but Only one site is too slow when I connected telnet, ftp.. Ping is too fast. but telnet and FTP is not connected.. of course i check the configuration file on aix but it's normal. Do any Idea?? thanks in advance. - Jun - (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeon Jun Seok
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Sun blade 1500 installation and administration problem

Hi I'm completely new in solaris,and don't know many about it. I was installed solaris 10 on sun blade 1500,and also I need to install oracle on it. Now I stuck on some thing and i'm sure that you help me. When i started Oracle installation system told me that I don't have enogh swap space.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dirtyjack
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System/Network Administration Tools

Sorry for making this post so generic. I'm trying to see if there are tools that exist that look at local network/system configurations and find problems... for example: - NTP server configured that cannot be reached (can cause the system to drift because nobody is alerted to the fact that the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
0 Replies
SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID(1)					     systemd-machine-id-setup					     SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID(1)

NAME
systemd-machine-id-setup - Initialize the machine ID in /etc/machine-id SYNOPSIS
systemd-machine-id-setup DESCRIPTION
systemd-machine-id-setup may be used by system installer tools to initialize the machine ID stored in /etc/machine-id at install time with a randomly generated ID. See machine-id(5) for more information about this file. This tool will execute no operation if /etc/machine-id is already initialized. If a valid D-Bus machine ID is already configured for the system the D-Bus machine ID is copied and used to initialize the machine ID in /etc/machine-id. If run inside a KVM virtual machine and a UUID is passed via the -uuid option this UUID is used to initialize the machine ID instead of a randomly generated one. The caller must ensure that the UUID passed is sufficiently unique and is different for every booted instanced of the VM. Similar, if run inside a Linux container environment and a UUID is set for the container this is used to initialize the machine ID. For details see the documentation of the Container Interface[1]. OPTIONS
This tool does not take any options or arguments. EXIT STATUS
On success 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), machine-id(5), dbus-uuidgen(1) AUTHOR
Lennart Poettering <lennart@poettering.net> Developer NOTES
1. Container Interface http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/ContainerInterface systemd 10/07/2013 SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID(1)