Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Reverse the order of a list of file names (but not sort them alphabetically or numerically) Post 302888130 by MDeBiasse on Wednesday 12th of February 2014 06:16:06 PM
Old 02-12-2014
Thank you so much!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort a file in reverse order

I a file with log entries... I want to sort it so that the last line in the file is first and the first line is last.. eg. Sample file 1 h a f 8 6 After sort should look like 6 8 f a h 1 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort file alphabetically AND numerically

Hi all. I have 2 files like this: f1 A 10 B 80 C 9 f2 A 11 B 700 C 10 What I want is the concatenation of the two files sorted by name (alphabetically) and size (numerically), so the result should be like this: F3 (cat f1 f2 sorted) A 10 A 11 B 80 B 700 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort -reverse order

I need to sort the particular column only in reverse order how i can give it.. if i give the -r option the whole file is getting sorted in reverse order. 1st 2nd col 3rd C col 4th col 5th col ------------------------------------------- C... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivakumar.rj
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional reverse of certain file line order

Hi I am brand new to programming, I dont know how to go about this task, or what language is best for this...If there is an easy solution in different languages, I would love to see them. I want to learn about the steps to take on this, so Please put in comments where code is used. I believe in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: perlrookie
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I list the file under a directory both in alphabetical and in reverse alphabetical order?

How can I list the file under current directory both in alphabetical and in reverse alphabetical order? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g.ashok
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numerically sort problem for a long list of file name

I got a long list of file name. My input: data_1.txt data_2.txt data_3.txt data_10.txt data_21.txt data_12.txt data_4.txt My desired output: data_1.txt data_2.txt data_3.txt data_4.txt data_10.txt data_12.txt data_21.txt Does anybody got idea how to archive it? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort alphabetically, then numerically

Greetings - I'm not necessarily new to bash scripting - I'm probably between beginner and intermediate, but I have something that I just cannot figure out after many attempts to find it. I have a file that is merely a list of many files, with their respective paths, and a branch path (ClearCase)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1cor29
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort names in a list by order of importance

Hi, I have multiple list which is arranged by order of importance. I need to do sorting on these lists based on the last name of the user(initial), if user name does not have initial then first name is initial . Important thing is that the last name in the list is important. If there is two or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pratapsingh
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to sort a file alphabetically

I have a problem with my homework I need to create a shell script using #!bin/awk -f the script will output the file in an alphabetical order only words and after the word is : after that a space then , then it will be numbered each character by which line its been for example CB 92A A... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: collapse
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List numerically in ascending order

Hello, I am running ubuntu 16.04 and trying to list all files inside a directory, I need to sort them in ascending order. While surfing on the site, I found an old thread but somehow it did not work. Link Ascending order with sort -nk2 myfile.txt command gives below output: file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
5 Replies
NM(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     NM(1)

NAME
nm -- display symbolic information in object files SYNOPSIS
nm [--debug-syms] [--defined-only] [--demangle[=style]] [--dynamic] [--extern-only] [--help] [--line-numbers] [--no-demangle] [--no-sort] [--numeric-sort] [--print-armap] [--print-file-name] [--print-size] [--radix=format] [--reverse-sort] [--size-sort] [--undefined-only] [--version] [-A] [-B] [-C [style]] [-D] [-P] [-V] [-a] [-e] [-g] [-h] [-l] [-n] [-o] [-p] [-r] [-S] [-s] [-t format] [-u] [-x] file ... DESCRIPTION
The nm utility displays symbolic information in the object files, executables, and object library files named by its arguments. Lack of sym- bolic information in an otherwise valid input file, is not considered to be an error. If no files are specified on the command line, nm will attempt to read a.out. The nm utility recognizes the following options: --debug-syms Display all symbols, including debugger-only symbols. --defined-only Display only defined symbols. --demangle[=style] Decode (demangle) low-level symbol names into human-readable names. Supported values for argument style are 'auto', 'gnu-v2', 'gnu-v3' and 'arm.' If argument style is not specified, it is taken to be 'auto'. --dynamic Only display dynamic symbols. This option is only meaningful for shared libraries. --extern-only Only display information about global (external) symbols. --help Display a help message and exit. --format=format Display output in the format specified by argument format. Supported values for the format argument are 'bsd', 'sysv', and 'posix'. The default output format is 'bsd'. --line-numbers Display the filename and line number associated a symbol using any debugging information present in the input file. For defined symbols, look up the line number associated with the address of the symbol. For undefined symbols, look up the line number associated with a relocation entry that refers to the symbol. If line number information can be determined, it is displayed after other symbol information. --no-demangle Do not demangle symbol names (default). --no-sort Do not sort symbols. --numeric-sort Sort symbols numerically by address instead of alphabetically by name. --print-armap For ar(1) archives, include the index of the archive's members. --print-file-name Write the full pathname or library name of an object on each line, before the rest of the information for a symbol. If this option is not specified, nm will only identify an input file once, before its symbols are listed. --print-size Print the size of each symbol instead of its value. --radix=radix Print numeric values using the specified radix. Supported values for argument radix are 'd' for decimal, 'o' for octal, and 'x' for hexadecimal. --reverse-sort Reverse the order of the sort. --size-sort Sort symbols by size instead of alphabetically by name. --undefined-only Display only undefined symbols. --version Display the version identifier for nm and exit. -A Equivalent to specifying option --print-file-name. -B Equivalent to specifying option --format=bsd. -C [style] Equivalent to specifying option --demangle[=style]. -D Equivalent to specifying option --dynamic. -F format Equivalent to specifying option --format=format. -P Equivalent to specifying option --format=posix. -S Equivalent to specifying option --print-size. -V Equivalent to specifying option --version. -a Equivalent to specifying option --debug-syms. -e Only display information for global and static symbols. -f Produce full output (default). -g Equivalent to specifying option --extern-only. -h Equivalent to specifying option --help. -l Equivalent to specifying option --line-numbers. -n Equivalent to specifying option --numeric-sort. -o If POSIX output was specified using the -F posix or -P options, this option is equivalent to specifying --radix='o'. If POSIX output was not specified, this option acts as a synonym for the --print-file-name option. -p Equivalent to specifying option --no-sort. -v Equivalent to option -n. -r Equivalent to specifying option --reverse-sort -s Equivalent to specifying option --print-armap. -t radix Equivalent to specifying option --radix=radix. -u Equivalent to specifying option --undefined-only. -x Write numeric values in hexadecimal (equivalent to -t x). OUTPUT FORMAT
The nm utility can present its information in a number of formats, numeric radices and sort orders. By default nm uses BSD style output, a hexadecimal radix, without output sorted alphabetically by name and without demangling of names. For each symbol listed, nm presents the following information: o The library or object name, if options -A or --print-file-name were specified. o The symbol name. o The type of the symbol denoted by a single character as below: A A global, absolute symbol. B A global ``bss'' (uninitialized data) symbol. C A ``common'' symbol, representing uninitialized data. D A global symbol naming initialized data. N A debugger symbol. R A read-only data symbol. T A global text symbol. U An undefined symbol. V A weak object. W A weak reference. a A local absolute symbol. b A local ``bss'' (uninitialized data) symbol. d A local data symbol. t A local text symbol. v A weak object that is undefined. w A weak symbol that is undefined. ? None of the above. o The value of the symbol. o The size of the symbol if applicable. o Line number information, if available and if options -l or --line-numbers were specified. EXIT STATUS
The nm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
ar(1), objdump(1), ranlib(1), elf(3) AUTHORS
The nm utility and this manual page were written by Hyogeol Lee <hyogeollee@gmail.com>. BSD
February 15, 2015 BSD