Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup solution using rsync
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Backup solution using rsync Post 302888114 by jvamos on Wednesday 12th of February 2014 04:26:03 PM
Old 02-12-2014
Hey blackrageous

I am on windows I have tried cygwin to use rsync and have come to the conclusion it is not the best way to go. Using an exclusion file and
Code:
--exclude-from

I can parse the tree so that I exclude two of the three subfolders. The collected files are not zipped though. Afterwards I could zip the resultant directory but I was looking for something a little more 'door to door'. I am now looking at the zip command but arriving at the same conclusion that it will just lump these files together. I don't know how I would script the rsync to be proceeded by a zip command. I guess that's not all that bad.
Do you have any suggestions? I'd love to learn more about scripting really...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

enterprise backup solution

We are using sun_sparc solaris 2.5.1 with oracle database 8.0.5 We are considering to buy for buying backup software for this purpose . Our systems integrator says veritas could not be installed due to some technical reasons (they are veritas authorised dealer) . And is suggesting Netvault... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitesh Shah
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Sun and backup solution

My company is in the process of building a new datacenter and I am responsible for setting up the backup environment (everything from racking to implementation). I guess it is pretty basic but I don't have much experience with the initial setup. What we have so far is a SunV890 (backup server), Sun... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jshwon
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems using rsync in Leopard with SSH... seeking solution/alternative

Precursor: ...it may sound like I'm at least somewhat comfortable with Unix, but I'm far from it. Layman's terms would be greatly appreciated :) Okay, so here's the situation. I created a website using iWeb, and I'm not using a .Mac account (you can sync website in one click if you do). Being... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: compulsiveguile
4 Replies

4. AIX

Backup solution

Hello, I'm looking for a backup solution for my system. I have 3 AIX virtual partitions running on a IBM p5 server. Each partition has it's data on a DS4700 storage server. Also, I have a RedHat running on an IBM p720. This server has the tape hardware. I would like to know if I can backup from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: enzote
4 Replies

5. AIX

Offsite Backup Solution

I'm looking for a program or some way to backup my server to another location onto another server. Does anyone have any ideas? What utility, server O/S(I would like to use Linux RH or CentOS)? Whats the best way to do this? I am fairly new with Unix. Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITAdmin08
6 Replies

6. Linux

Backup solution

Hi all, i am not sure whether i selected the right topic or not, so excuse me, well i am mainly a Windows admin, but i do *NIX administration from time to time, for now i need to use an open source solution for backup windows environment mainly, i spent last days playing with bacula and backupPC,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync backup

How do i use Rsync yo pickup only new or modified files from source? I am using rsync -ravzpotu --delete-excluded but sometimes it goes thru all files again (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprool
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync better use for backup

Hello, I have a list of working directory in a remote computer acesssible through ssh and the same directory structure in my home directory of my laptop. I sometimes work on both my laptop and my this other computer. I usually use Rsync this way to synchronize files rsync... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies
zipnote(1)						      General Commands Manual							zipnote(1)

NAME
zipsplit - split a zipfile into smaller zipfiles SYNOPSIS
zipsplit [-t] [-i] [-p] [-s] [-n size] [-r room] [-b path] [-h] [-v] [-L] zipfile ARGUMENTS
zipfile Zipfile to split. OPTIONS
-t Report how many files it will take, but don't make them. -i Make index (zipsplit.idx) and count its size against first zip file. -n size Make zip files no larger than "size" (default = 36000). -r room Leave room for "room" bytes on the first disk (default = 0). -b path Use path for the output zip files. -p Pause between output zip files. -s Do a sequential split even if it takes more zip files. -h Show a short help. -v Show version information. -L Show software license. DESCRIPTION
zipsplit reads a zipfile and splits it into smaller zipfiles. EXAMPLES
To be filled in. BUGS
Does not yet support large (> 2 GB) or split archives. SEE ALSO
zip(1), unzip(1) AUTHOR
Info-ZIP v3.0 of 8 May 2008 zipnote(1)