Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check for spaces in input argument! Post 302887933 by sea on Tuesday 11th of February 2014 05:17:26 PM
Old 02-11-2014
Until now i used either arrays to parse the args (compare item with string '-h') and do action (or set variable) of array(+1), skipping i and i+1 after or even worse (but most used - lazy) hard coded argument positions....

eg - pseudo code - tired:
Code:
i=0
ARGS=($@)
for cur in $(seq 0 1 $#@);do
   ((i++))
   case "${ARGS[$cur]}" in
   "-h") echo "help" ;;
   "-o") echo other
         otherValue=${ARGS[$i]}
         unset ARGS[$i] ARGS[$cur] ;;
   *) echo "no args, or unhandled) ;;
    esac
done

This switch method kind of sounds faster.

Did i understand this properly (simplified?):
We're switching the flag, which is the actual argument trigger/toggle/(lost in translation), while argv[1] is the actual current value to be set as variable?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to check if the argument contain wildcard (*,?) ?

In a script , i would like to check if the argument ( $1, $2 inside the script) contain wildcard (*,? etc). how do i do it? > script_name arg1 arg* $1 (arg1) does not contain wildcard, but $2 (arg* )contains wildcard. how can i tell in script? i need to do this is because : if arg1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusla
3 Replies

2. Programming

How do I input an argument in the main?

----------C program----------------------------- include <stdio.h> int main( int argc, char *argv ) { int i; for( i=0; i<argc; i++ ) printf("%\n", argv); return 0; } I wrote the C program above 'print.c'. Then, I compiled. (gcc -o print.o print.c)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yhosun
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if argument passed is an integers

How do I check if the argument passed to a script is an integer? I am writting a script that will take to integers and want to be able to check before I go on. I am using bourne shell. Thanks in advance (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: elchalateco
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with spaces and argument parsing

public class HelloWorld { public static void main(String args) { System.out.println("Welcome, master"); } } and I compiled using javac HelloWorld.java ] Suppose that I execute the following command directly from the shell: java -XX:OnError="gdb - %p" HelloWorld Then it works... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fabulous2
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

use input filename as an argument to name output file

I know this is a simple matter, but I'm new to this. I have a shell script that calls a sed script from within it. I want the output of the shell script to be based on the input file I pass as an argument to the original script. In other words... ./script.sh file.txt (script.sh calls sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estebandido
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

The last argument contains spaces, how do I get it into a variable?

Gooday I have an argument string that contains 15 arguments. The first 14 arguments are easy to handle because they are separated by spaces ARG14=`echo ${ARGSTRING} | awk '{print $14}'` The last argument is a text that may be empty or contain spaces. So any ideas on how I get the last... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: zagga
23 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renice command with input argument as a file

Hi all could you help me how to give pids in a file as an argument to renice command. Thanks in Advance.. :) Pradeep (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanz143
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Utilize input file in place of argument

First I apologize for my ignorance as I am very new to the world of UNIX but love it and have a huge desire to learn it. A question I have is if a Korn script utilizes/relies on an argument to run, can you add these into a file and pipe them to the script without changing anything inside the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djzah
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument check

All, I'm writing an argument checking block and running into an error. I want to confirm that $1 is one of two values. Here is what I have: if ]; then echo -e "\nPlease check your first augument. You used \"$1\" which is not recognized. Please see usage:" usage ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hburnswell
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to iterate a function untill last argument with any order of input?

HI I need to get the function "kick" to get executed in any way the parameters are passed in to the function. The parameters are first stored in a dictionary self.otherlist = {} print self.otherlist self.populateTestList(self.system_type) print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
1 Replies
UHD_RX_CFILE(1) 						   User Commands						   UHD_RX_CFILE(1)

NAME
uhd_rx_cfile - Save UHD received data SYNOPSIS
uhd_rx_cfile: [options] output_filename DESCRIPTION
Save I&Q data to a complex file for later use. OPTIONS
-h, --help show this help message and exit -a ARGS, --args=ARGS UHD device address args , [default=] --spec=SPEC Subdevice of UHD device where appropriate -A ANTENNA, --antenna=ANTENNA select Rx Antenna where appropriate --samp-rate=SAMP_RATE set sample rate (bandwidth) [default=1000000.0] -f FREQ, --freq=FREQ set frequency to FREQ -g GAIN, --gain=GAIN set gain in dB (default is midpoint) -s, --output-shorts output interleaved shorts instead of complex floats -N NSAMPLES, --nsamples=NSAMPLES number of samples to collect [default=+inf] -v, --verbose verbose output --lo-offset=LO_OFFSET set daughterboard LO offset to OFFSET [default=hw default] SEE ALSO
uhd_fft(1) uhd_rx_nogui(1) uhd_siggen(1) uhd_siggen_gui(1) uhd_rx_cfile 3.5 December 2011 UHD_RX_CFILE(1)