Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Malloc problem with fread() to read file to structure in C Post 302887771 by Don Cragun on Monday 10th of February 2014 05:50:58 PM
Old 02-10-2014
What OS are you using?
What is the size of the following types in your programming environment:
  1. int
  2. char *
  3. struct student *
  4. struct student
What were the sizes of the buffers allocated by the calls to malloc() and calloc() that you deleted from the output my code produced?

The output you showed in message #6 in this thread is missing newline and tab characters that my code writes and has changed a tab character to a constant string of four spaces? Did you modify my code? Did you modify the output it produced (other than removing the first two sections of the output)? If these alterations were done by the way you copy and paste code for display here, please redirect the output to a file (such as output.txt) and upload that text.

Please also upload the source you compiled so I can compare it with what I compiled.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

a problem about malloc()

1 . Thanks everyone who read the post. 2 . the programe is that : #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> void do_it(char *p) { p = (char *) malloc(100); (void )strcpy(p,"1234"); } int main(void) { char *p; do_it(p); (void )printf("p = %s \n",p); (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem w. case structure

Hello, I am having a problem setting a range of numbers for the "case" structure. I can use with no problems, but when I use it doesn't work??? Does the case struture allow numeric ranges? eg: echo -e "enter number between 0 and 60: \c" read $answer case $answer in ) echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joe54321
2 Replies

3. Programming

How to read task_struct process structure of Linux

Hi, I want to read the task_struct structure in Linux in order to get the names & pids of all processes. How can this be done?? Thanks in adv, molu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: molu
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File read & execute problem

Hi folks, Need your help. I am writing a KSH script to read a few commands from a file & execute. I am using the following code to read the file line by line & excute each command. When I am printing each line I see it is printing properly but while excuting, the particular "ps" command... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
5 Replies

5. Programming

problem in reading file using fread

Hi All, These are the two ways i tried to read file but i getting work with second one not with the first. char buf; // Defining space for buf ctrlfnum = fopen(filename_arr.control_fname,"r"); 1) n = fread(buf,sizeof(buf),1,ctrlfnum); ============== (not works) 2) n =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with listing of directory structure

Hi When im listing (ls -al ) its listing directories without / at the end of directories dir1 dir2 dir3 and i need to list directories with dir1/ dir2/ dir3/ and this should not be made by command ls -F / should be embedded at the last since one of the scripts reads directories... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasanthan
1 Replies

7. Programming

Problem in static structure array in C

Hi, I have a following problem in C. I have a function A in which I used to call another function (function B) and pass an array of values through array variable by using below:- foo=functionB(array); In functionB, i used to just return some "values" (e.g return num;) in order to pass... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

8. SCO

Read error on bootinfo structure at 0x800

hi One of our SCO 5.0.6 server is crashing every second or third time during rebooting with kernel panic. According to this SCO manual: http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/showta?taid=106181&qid=1689366546&sid=504668569&pgnum=1 I've saved dump image into a floppy and I've done the following steps: #... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Malloc and File Creation

How can I use malloc with copying/creating files? Is this the correct way? I'm a bit confused... int in_fd; int *out_fd; char buffer; in_fd = open(av, O_RDONLY); out_fd = malloc(strlen(av)+strlen(av)+2); sprintf"(buffer,%s/%s", av,av); (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Structure of USCSICMD and CDB for USCSI Read/Write

I am using Solaris 10u11 on x86 machine, i am root, i want to use a gcc compiled code to use read10/write10 function of USCSI solaris library to access data from a normal USB mass storage device. I am able to open a device prior to sending USCSI command via IOCTL. IOCTL command works ok as... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish2012
0 Replies
YACC(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   YACC(1)

NAME
yacc - an LALR(1) parser generator SYNOPSIS
yacc [ -dlrtv ] [ -b file_prefix ] [ -p symbol_prefix ] filename DESCRIPTION
Yacc reads the grammar specification in the file filename and generates an LR(1) parser for it. The parsers consist of a set of LALR(1) parsing tables and a driver routine written in the C programming language. Yacc normally writes the parse tables and the driver routine to the file y.tab.c. The following options are available: -b file_prefix The -b option changes the prefix prepended to the output file names to the string denoted by file_prefix. The default prefix is the character y. -d The -d option causes the header file y.tab.h to be written. -l If the -l option is not specified, yacc will insert #line directives in the generated code. The #line directives let the C compiler relate errors in the generated code to the user's original code. If the -l option is specified, yacc will not insert the #line directives. #line directives specified by the user will be retained. -p symbol_prefix The -p option changes the prefix prepended to yacc-generated symbols to the string denoted by symbol_prefix. The default prefix is the string yy. -r The -r option causes yacc to produce separate files for code and tables. The code file is named y.code.c, and the tables file is named y.tab.c. -t The -t option changes the preprocessor directives generated by yacc so that debugging statements will be incorporated in the compiled code. -v The -v option causes a human-readable description of the generated parser to be written to the file y.output. If the environment variable TMPDIR is set, the string denoted by TMPDIR will be used as the name of the directory where the temporary files are created. FILES
y.code.c y.tab.c y.tab.h y.output /tmp/yacc.aXXXXXX /tmp/yacc.tXXXXXX /tmp/yacc.uXXXXXX DIAGNOSTICS
If there are rules that are never reduced, the number of such rules is reported on standard error. If there are any LALR(1) conflicts, the number of conflicts is reported on standard error. 4.3 Berkeley Distribution July 15, 1990 YACC(1)