Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Process Detection and Conditional Branching . . . Post 302887763 by LinQ on Monday 10th of February 2014 05:13:43 PM
Old 02-10-2014
Thanks, folks.

With the collective input, I got this to work well:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

runSeq() 
{
    sleep 1
    if ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep "some-process-name" > /dev/null
    then
    zenity --warning
    holdSeq
    else
    runSeq
    fi
}
runSeq

holdSeq()
{
    sleep 1
    if ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep "some-process-name" > /dev/null
    then
    holdSeq
    else
    runSeq
    fi
}
holdSeq

However, now I'm really concerned about what RudiC said: Will I wind up running off the stack with the above code? Seems like it's all just going about in a slow, quiet loop.

What am I missing Smilie

Thanks again --

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

virus detection

IS there virus software for unix? I worked in a Solaris environment and dont remember having anything. I also ask because the current enviroment i am working on is Microsoft and they argue that they do not use unix because of virus detection. Any input would be greatly appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping and conditional branching on the command line

I am piping STDOUT from commands such as ifconfig and dmesg through grep, sed and awk to get the information I need. I need to now perform some looping and branching now and have been trying to figure out how to do this on the command line. You may ask "Why the command line? - Why not put it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlgo
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

modem detection

How to get information that where is my modem configured in /dev. I have two modems configured in my device .. one is USB and other is PCI modem.. USB is detected as /dev/USB0. but how to see about PCI modem? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: s123.radha
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

begin end detection

Hi all, i am new to scripting. i need to write a code to detect begin and end of word that either begins or ends with t,th,d,dh,s,sh i have a set of words in a file containg one word per line. let the filename be aaa.txt. i have an another file bbb.txt which has two lines, just specifying the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: blkanth
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

NAT detection

hellou, can anybody help me with nat detection in real time ? i prefer some detection script because i try some nat detection program's for example p0f or i'm using tcpdump, but i would get contain of specific packet. Some ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TheTechnic
1 Replies

6. Programming

Parallel Processing Detection and Program Return Value Detection

Hey, for the purpose of a research project I need to know if a specific type of parallel processing is being utilized by any user-run programs. Is there a way to detect whether a program either returns a value to another program at the end of execution, or just utilizes any form of parallel... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: azar.zorn
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File delta detection

Hello, I need to compare two flat files (ASCII format), say file OLD and file NEW. Both have similar structure. These files are | delimitted files and have around few million of records (lines) each. Each file has same set columns and same set of key columns (i.e. the 3rd and 5th column of the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manubatham20
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add conditional check of whether a process is running before doing rest of script?

Hi, I'm looking at doing a cron job for a script that could take a very short time to complete or a very long time to complete based on variable activity on a server. I don't want to do a weird schedule, but I don't want to be so aggressive that the process attempts to start before another... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
14 Replies
Plack::Middleware::Conditional(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		       Plack::Middleware::Conditional(3pm)

NAME
Plack::Middleware::Conditional - Conditional wrapper for Plack middleware SYNOPSIS
use Plack::Builder; builder { enable_if { $_[0]->{REMOTE_ADDR} eq '127.0.0.1' } 'StackTrace', force => 1; $app; }; # or using the OO interface: $app = Plack::Middleware::Conditional->wrap( $app, condition => sub { $_[0]->{REMOTE_ADDR} eq '127.0.0.1' }, builder => sub { Plack::Middleware::StackTrace->wrap($_[0], force => 1) }, ); DESCRIPTION
Plack::Middleware::Conditional is a piece of meta-middleware, to run a specific middleware component under runtime conditions. The goal of this middleware is to avoid baking runtime configuration options in individual middleware components, and rather share them as another middleware component. EXAMPLES
Note that some of the middleware component names are just made up for the explanation and might not exist. # Minify JavaScript if the browser is Firefox enable_if { $_[0]->{HTTP_USER_AGENT} =~ /Firefox/ } 'JavaScriptMinifier'; # Enable Stacktrace when being accessed from the local network enable_if { $_[0]->{REMOTE_ADDR} =~ /^10.0.1.*/ } 'StackTrace'; # Work with other conditional setter middleware: # Transcode Jpeg on the fly for mobile clients builder { enable 'MobileDetector'; enable_if { $_[0]->{'plack.mobile_detected'} } 'TranscodeJpeg', max_size => 30_000; $app; }; Note that in the last example MobileDetector should come first because the conditional check runs in pre-run conditions, which is from outer to inner: that is, from the top to the bottom in the Builder DSL code. AUTHOR
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa Steve Cook SEE ALSO
Plack::Builder perl v5.14.2 2012-04-14 Plack::Middleware::Conditional(3pm)