Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Grep multiple files and display first match Post 302887695 by dbiggied on Monday 10th of February 2014 10:21:37 AM
Old 02-10-2014
That is exactly what I needed! Thanks! I am so new to awk that I never would have been able to figure this out.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: good! I changed the threads title to "Solved".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep on multiple words to match text template

hi, I have few text templates as a simple ex: template 1 city Name: zip code: state Name: template2: employee Name: Phone number: I wish to grep on given text file and make sure the text file matches one of these templates. Please give your ideas. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rider29
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep and display n lines after the match is found.

Hello, How do I use grep to find a pattern in a list of file and then display 5 lines after the pattern is matched Eg: I want to match the string GetPresentCode in all files in a folder and then see 4 lines following this match. I am not sure if grep is what should be used to achieve. Thanks!... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cv_pan
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare two files if doesnt match then display error message

hi , i have one file ,i need to search particular word from this file and if content is matched then echo MATCHED else NOT MATCHED file contains : mr x planned to score 75% in exam but end up with 74%. word to be searched id 75% please help me out . waiting for reply thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atl@mav
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] Diff between two files by grep

My requiremeny is as follows, I have two files file a A BONES RD,NHILL,3418,VIC 37TH PARALLEL RD,DEEP LEAD,3385,VIC 4 AK RD,OAKEY,4401,QLD A & J FARRS RD,BARMOYA,4703,QLD A B PATTERSON DR,ARUNDEL,4214,QLD A BLAIRS RD,BUCKRABANYULE,3525,VIC file b A BONES... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: feelmyfrd
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script: grep multiple lines after pattern match

I have sql file containing lot of queries on different database table. I have to filter specific table queries. Let say i need all queries of test1,test2,test3 along with four lines above it and sql queries can be multi lines or in single line. Input file contains. set INSERT_ID=1; set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirfan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Pattern match and write to separate files

I need to parse a file and depending on a patern match(in the insert job line) separate files have to be created with a line added (content in file2). Mapping for pattern match and add line : for Alpha 123 for Beta 234 for Gamma 345 no match (goes into another file) File 1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: w020637
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple exact match, do not display lines

Hi, Need help to grep the following from a file x. I just want to grep exact match not lines and not partial word. CONFSUCCESS CONFFAIL CONFPARTIALSUCCESS >cat x xczxczxczc zczczcxx CONFSUCCESS czczczcczc czxxczxzxczcczc CONFFAIL xczxczcxcczczc zczczczcz CONFPARTIALSUCCESS czczxcxzc ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshwebspere
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Multiple input files and output files

Hi, I have many test*.ft1 files to which I want to read as input for a script called pipe2txt.tcl and print the output in each separate file. For example, pipe2txt.tcl < test001.ft1 > test001.txt How can I read many files in this maner? thank you very much, Best, Pahuja (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pahuja
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match multiple patterns sequentially in order - grep or awk

Hello. grep v2.21 Debian 8 I wish to search for and output these patterns in order; "From " "To: " "Subject: " "Message-Id: " "Date: " "To: " grep works, but not in strict order... $ grep -a -E "^From |^Subject:|^From: |^Message-Id: |^Date: |^To: " InboxResult; From - Wed Feb 18... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: DSommers
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep and display multiple lines

Hi guys, I have a log file that generates multiple logs about a query. <query time='2016-04-13 13:01:50.825'> <PagingRequestHandler> <Before>brand:vmu</Before> <After>brand:vmu</After> </PagingRequestHandler> <GroupDeviceFilterHandler> <Before>brand:vmu</Before> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)