Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX How to set PATH variable for all HP-UX users when they login using ssh? Post 302887679 by vbe on Monday 10th of February 2014 08:43:28 AM
Old 02-10-2014
in your .ssh directory, create a file called environment...
Here is mine:
Code:
ant:/home/vbe/.ssh $ ll env*;more environment
-rw-rw-r--   1 vbe        bin            193 Jun  7  2013 environment
# Set up the shell environment:
        TMOUT=0
# Set up the shell variables:
        EDITOR=vi

#ENV=$HOME/.kshrc
        ENV=$HOME/.profile
HISTFILE=$HOME/.sh_history
#HISTSIZE=18432

The file should contain only variables, anything else will void its usage...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set Path variable in c shell

I set my path environment variable in c shell, using the syntax below setenv PATH "${PATH}:/usr/local:/usr/local/bin" and placed this in $HOME/.login $HOME/.cshrc and /etc/.login /etc/.cshrc but when I issued echo $PATH or set command the output does not reflect changes made to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

set path so all new users can execute the command in /bin/mycommands

I want to add a default path /bin/mycommands along with others to be loaded as default path for all new accounts created on my system . With out the new accounts not having to change thie manually to /bin/mycommands.Do I change the /etc/profile ? is there any better way? Please throw some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravusa
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set variable PATH

Hi, i know that this topic discussed for many times but although i had researched them i couldnt succeed in my problem. i am following a step-by-step instruction guide and must do the following: ------------- To ensure access, set the path PATH $ORACLE_HOME/perl/bin:$PATH and set the Perl... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merope
2 Replies

4. AIX

How to set path for the EDITOR variable?

For some reason something has changing in my AIX environment where when I type: ACLEDIT filename ...I get: 3002-104 acledit: EDITOR environment variable must be full pathname I know I need to reset the EDITOR variables path to /usr/bin/vi but I can't remember the syntax anyone? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heprox
2 Replies

5. AIX

Not able to login as normal users through console /telnet/ssh

Hi , I am having problem,users are not able to login through ssh or telnet.Only we can login as root user in console. Restarted telnet and sshd ,no luck. Any ideas. AIX -- 5.2 ML 07 Thanks, MNK (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnkfre
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PATH variable set incorrectly?

I've noted that in order to use commands like ifconfig, I have to prefix the commands with the directory. /etc/profile shows that the paths should be part of the PATH environment variable; any idea where the bug is? :confused: # /etc/profile # System wide environment and startup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jon80
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

$USER is not set in remsh but works fine via ssh login

1) ssh a@b echo $USER it display the correct value as a (even though i have not defined it in .profile) 2) remsh b -l a echo $USER it does not display the value as a (variable is not set any idea why $USER variable is not initialized when i login via remsh or rlogin but shows the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
10 Replies

8. Red Hat

RHEL: Users unable to login via SSH

removing the post (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: titanic4u
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to set my PATH variable

Hello All, Hope you can understand my problem from the below code. $ cat ~/.profile PS1=`whoami`@`hostname`':$PWD $ ' export PATH="$PATH:.:/logarchive/utility/util:/usr/sbin:" $ echo $PATH /usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:.:/usr/sbin: $ echo $SHELL /usr/bin/ksh ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
6 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Expect /bash, 2 ssh login users

HI all i need to connect to about 900 cisco routers and switch to do some configs changes. the issue i am having is that half the devices have one set of username and password and the other half have another username and password. From expect or bash script i can ssh into a device and make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quintin
1 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)