Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Malloc problem with fread() to read file to structure in C Post 302887657 by yifangt on Monday 10th of February 2014 04:03:39 AM
Old 02-10-2014
Thanks Don!
Two things I was trying to catch:
1) Read the file into linked list, each line for a node which is a structure with two members: roll_num (int) and name (char array or char *); This is similar to my old post when I tried to parse file as 4-line record, i.e. every four line is a record.
2) Save the linked list to a new file.
For point 1), the problem with my code is the first and last record (i.e. nodes) of the linked list were always wrong---printed incorrectly.
Quote:
808464433 1 Angola //cf 10001 Angola
?x.?0010 Ja1
//cf 10010 Jamaica
For Point 2) my code was just not working at all, so that the corresponding part Line 30 ~ Line 40 were commented out.
For point 1) an extra question in my mind is using char pointer instead of char array, how to accomplish the same job? as pointer is still a big challenge for me, especially when dynamic memory allocation is related.
I am trying to understand the FILE stream and memory allocation with malloc() for file manipulation. (The next step is to do some manipulation of each node, say change each roll_num, modify the name, or add another member for each node, etc. But I am not able to do it at this moment.)

Since the size of your current structure is about 132 bytes long (4 byte int, 120 byte char array, and 8 byte pointer), you are reading the 1st 132 bytes from your input file into the first element of your linked list,
Yes, that's what I was trying. I had thought of wrong mem allocation, so that I was thinking to use char pointer for name instead of char array for dynamic memory allocation. I know I am too far from this point.

So, lines 30 to 40 are just a single comment to the C compiler and no code is being executed in this comment.
Yes, I did that on purpose because it did not work.

If you verify that what I listed above is what you're trying to do,

Yes, that's what I was trying to do!

I'll try to come up with an example that shows how to do that in the next couple of days.
Great! Thank you very much for your time.

Last edited by yifangt; 02-10-2014 at 05:14 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

a problem about malloc()

1 . Thanks everyone who read the post. 2 . the programe is that : #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> void do_it(char *p) { p = (char *) malloc(100); (void )strcpy(p,"1234"); } int main(void) { char *p; do_it(p); (void )printf("p = %s \n",p); (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem w. case structure

Hello, I am having a problem setting a range of numbers for the "case" structure. I can use with no problems, but when I use it doesn't work??? Does the case struture allow numeric ranges? eg: echo -e "enter number between 0 and 60: \c" read $answer case $answer in ) echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joe54321
2 Replies

3. Programming

How to read task_struct process structure of Linux

Hi, I want to read the task_struct structure in Linux in order to get the names & pids of all processes. How can this be done?? Thanks in adv, molu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: molu
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File read & execute problem

Hi folks, Need your help. I am writing a KSH script to read a few commands from a file & execute. I am using the following code to read the file line by line & excute each command. When I am printing each line I see it is printing properly but while excuting, the particular "ps" command... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
5 Replies

5. Programming

problem in reading file using fread

Hi All, These are the two ways i tried to read file but i getting work with second one not with the first. char buf; // Defining space for buf ctrlfnum = fopen(filename_arr.control_fname,"r"); 1) n = fread(buf,sizeof(buf),1,ctrlfnum); ============== (not works) 2) n =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with listing of directory structure

Hi When im listing (ls -al ) its listing directories without / at the end of directories dir1 dir2 dir3 and i need to list directories with dir1/ dir2/ dir3/ and this should not be made by command ls -F / should be embedded at the last since one of the scripts reads directories... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasanthan
1 Replies

7. Programming

Problem in static structure array in C

Hi, I have a following problem in C. I have a function A in which I used to call another function (function B) and pass an array of values through array variable by using below:- foo=functionB(array); In functionB, i used to just return some "values" (e.g return num;) in order to pass... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

8. SCO

Read error on bootinfo structure at 0x800

hi One of our SCO 5.0.6 server is crashing every second or third time during rebooting with kernel panic. According to this SCO manual: http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/showta?taid=106181&qid=1689366546&sid=504668569&pgnum=1 I've saved dump image into a floppy and I've done the following steps: #... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Malloc and File Creation

How can I use malloc with copying/creating files? Is this the correct way? I'm a bit confused... int in_fd; int *out_fd; char buffer; in_fd = open(av, O_RDONLY); out_fd = malloc(strlen(av)+strlen(av)+2); sprintf"(buffer,%s/%s", av,av); (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Structure of USCSICMD and CDB for USCSI Read/Write

I am using Solaris 10u11 on x86 machine, i am root, i want to use a gcc compiled code to use read10/write10 function of USCSI solaris library to access data from a normal USB mass storage device. I am able to open a device prior to sending USCSI command via IOCTL. IOCTL command works ok as... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish2012
0 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)