Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Csh/tcsh : Check the file existance and run the script Post 302887633 by Perderabo on Sunday 9th of February 2014 05:51:47 PM
Old 02-09-2014
I am not csh programmer. I use ksh or bash for everything. But I'll take a stab at this. The only thing I see with the script is the superfluous but harmless semi-colons on those set statements. But I would code it differently to simplify the script...

Code:
#! /bin/csh -f

while ( ! -e somefile )
        echo file not found -- sleeping
        sleep 10
end
source file2
exit 0

and then a test run...

Code:
$ ./sleeper
file not found -- sleeping
hello
I am file2
$

In another window I typed "touch somefile" to get out of the loop.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

diff between tcsh and csh -f

Hello Am very new to linux/unix, workin in it since 10 days only. I had started with bash and now I need to work in tcsh. I have changed shell for my user profile using 'chsh' I use gedit for script writing. Now in the first line if I write #!/bin/tcsh i get d msg /home/usr/.cshrc: No such... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahendrakamath
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unexpected end of file..with csh->tcsh

All; Thanks for reading. I'm having a heck of a time with this cshell script that fires off an hp temperature monitor and rotates logs. I keep getting '/opt/temperature/temp.sh: line 22: syntax error: unexpected end of file' when I try to 'sh /opt/temperature/temp.sh" it --script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swjv
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differences between csh and tcsh

What are the differences between csh and tcsh shells ? In one of the shell scripts csh binary is a soft link to tcsh. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

check the file existance

Hello, I have two files .. 1. inventory_i.txt 2. inventory_b.txt I want to check if these two files exists. If exists, then do the process, otherwise, quite... if ; then echo "exists" else echo " does not exists" fi The above logic is not working... It is always, displaying Does... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh: not run script (if: Badly formed number)

Hello I have Linux Debian & tcsh shell. My mini script not run :(. Startup script displays a message: user@host:dir% ./test if: Badly formed number. script: #!/bin/tcsh -f #script check size files systems set x = `df -h /usr | tail -n1 | awk '{ print( $5 ); }'` set y = 60% if ($x... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: moskovets
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a bash script in csh shell?

Hi how to execute a bash script in csh shell? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rubinovito
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting to check the size of file and it's existance.

Hi, I am totaly new to create a script . Please help. I have file name retrived from SAP table into a internal table . Like :- /home/td_8d02_int_data_IPCL/ILLUSTRATIONS/CGM/l_pc_112138_01_0_01_00.cgm /home/td_8d02_int_data_IPC-L/ILLUSTRATIONS/CMP/l_pc_112138_01_0_01_00.cmp Objective... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitkumar.b2
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check existance of multiple directories

Hi, I would like to check whether all the directories exists or not. I tried the below but it gives some error. below is the excerpt from my original script 24 #Check if the required directories are exists 25 dirExists() { 26 27 if 28 then 29 echo "required... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a file in a csh script?

Hi, I have a csh script. I want to set some variables and execute some command from a file in that script. abc.csh echo "primary script" b setenv XXX ddd set XX make abc I want to execute the commands of "b" file from abc.csh. How can i do that. Please view this link: How to use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdhingra123
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

check for file existance and generate exit code amd move to another directory

Hi.. i have a file ABC_*.txt in source directory which will come evry 30 min and same file will be moved to working directory first time ...and will perform some operations then we archive ABC_*.txt ..this will run for 30 min to 45 min from 2nd time onwards requirement is ...i need to check... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dssyadav
3 Replies
SLEEP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SLEEP(1)

NAME
sleep -- suspend execution for an interval of time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds DESCRIPTION
The sleep command suspends execution for a minimum of seconds. If the sleep command receives a signal, it takes the standard action. When the SIGINFO signal is received, the estimate of the amount of seconds left to sleep is printed on the standard output. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The SIGALRM signal is not handled specially by this implementation. The sleep command allows and honors a non-integer number of seconds to sleep in any form acceptable by strtod(3). This is a non-portable extension, and its use will nearly guarantee that a shell script will not execute properly on another system. EXIT STATUS
The sleep utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
To schedule the execution of a command for x number seconds later (with csh(1)): (sleep 1800; sh command_file >& errors)& This incantation would wait a half hour before running the script command_file. (See the at(1) utility.) To reiteratively run a command (with the csh(1)): while (1) if (! -r zzz.rawdata) then sleep 300 else foreach i (`ls *.rawdata`) sleep 70 awk -f collapse_data $i >> results end break endif end The scenario for a script such as this might be: a program currently running is taking longer than expected to process a series of files, and it would be nice to have another program start processing the files created by the first program as soon as it is finished (when zzz.rawdata is created). The script checks every five minutes for the file zzz.rawdata, when the file is found, then another portion processing is done courteously by sleeping for 70 seconds in between each awk job. SEE ALSO
nanosleep(2), sleep(3) STANDARDS
The sleep command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A sleep command appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BSD
April 18, 1994 BSD