Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compress a tar file to smaller size Post 302887624 by Neo on Sunday 9th of February 2014 01:38:46 PM
Old 02-09-2014
Well, your second post describes quite a different problem than your first post.

What script have you written?

Our amazing members are not here to write your scripts for you, but to assist you in your (best) efforts to define your problem and write your own scripts.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and compress

I need to compress and tar a couple files in a directory, but I also want the original files unchanged, ie if I compress a1.cpp , then a1.cpp becomes a1.cpp.z, but what I want after running the compress utility is to have both a1.cpp as it is and a1.cpp.z and then tar a1.cpp.z to an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

maximum tar file size?

Is there a reasonable maximum limit for tar file sizes? I want to transfer a pile of files from one server to another but have restricted means, so tarring them first will probably be best... but how big can I go - both for the file format itself and for the operating system (linux) to handle? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bobby
7 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

file zip,rar,tar,compress,uncompress,unzip,unrar

i want know how to compress and uncompress file using unix, compress uncompress,zip,unzip,rar,unrar,how its work and more about this.:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ismael xavier
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the size of tar,Z,gz type file.

Hi, How to get the size of the .tar file .Z file .gz file. Please help me what command i need to use in shell scripting :( Regards, Kalai (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress the file using Tar command

Hi, When i am tar the file particular ,csv file format in a folder i am receiving the error Command: tar cf New_data.tar /new/file/mari/getdata/small/*.xml Arguements too long But sometimes i am able to compress other folder but the tar folder contains all the file format and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: marivinay
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar and compress in one step

I know there is a way to tar up directory and sub-directories and have it compressed all in one command but but the syntax escapes me. I seem to re-call something like this: tar -cvf /tmp/file.tar - | compress ? Can somebody please provide me with the syntax on how to tar/compress and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

identify files with "Normal termination" and compress them into a .tar.gz file

Hi, I have hundreds of files "*.out" located in one folder, and I want to: 1. Identify the good files containing "Normal termination" (grep "Normal termination" *.out ) 2. Compress the good files into a tar.gz file (tar cvfz good.tar.gz *.goog.out ) Is there a way I can automate this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress 1st 20 Large different File using tar

Sorry guys.. dont know where to put this.. currently I am cleaning up system dump on our aix machine and I wanted to set zero the 1st 20 large file but before doing that I wanted to create some backup. is there any command that can compress all these file same time? tar syntax file? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thermometer
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Compare file size and delete the smaller

I am pretty new to scripting, so I appreciate your advice in advance. The problem: 100 directories each containing 2 files that have the same extension with random names. The only attribute that discriminates the files is size. I would like to write a script that compares the files for size... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Physical disk IO size smaller than fragment block filesystem size ?

Hello, in one default UFS filesystem we have 8K block size (bsize) and 1K fragmentsize (fsize). At this scenary I thought all "FileSytem IO" will be 8K (or greater) but never smaller than the fragment size (1K). If a UFS fragment/blocksize is allwasy several ADJACENTS sectors on disk (in a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rarino2
4 Replies
DAPTUP(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 DAPTUP(8)

NAME
daptup - wrapper script on 'apt-get update' SYNOPSIS
daptup [ --pre | --post | --last ] [ -h | --help ] [ --nocolor ] OPTIONS
--pre Do only 'pre' stage: collect info that will be used as 'old'. Usually need to be specified only in apt hooks. --post If appropriate option is enabled in config file, do only 'post' stage: collect 'new' info and output changes. Otherwise do nothing. Usually need to be specified only in apt hooks. --last Output changes only. This option is supposed to be specified when you want to see changes made in the last update. Note that list of outdated packages, if daptup is configured to output it, will be rebuilt. -h --help prints the help --nocolor Disables color output, useful for scripts or when output is not terminal. Now works only with --last option, however, you can dis- able color globally in configuration file. daptup is a script that runs "apt-get update" inside and outputs list of packages recently entered to repo, list of packages which got new updates, list of changes in 'watched' packages and, optionally, list of outdated packages. Starting with 0.8.0 version, daptup uses apt hooks and you don't need to explicitly call it if you use 'apt-get update'. TROUBLESHOOTING
If daptup was interrupted while building the lists, the cached lists can stay in inconsistent state, which is inappropriate if you want to use --last option before the new update. There is nothing to do if interrupt was occured at the moment when old lists were building (besides running the new update). However, if interrupt was occured when the new lists were building, you can easily redo this stage by calling 'daptup --post'. FILES
/etc/daptup.conf self-documented configuration file /var/spool/daptup/outdated cached file with info about outdated packages SEE ALSO
apt-get(8), aptitude(8), apt-show-versions(1p) AUTHOR
daptup was written by Eugene V. Lyubimkin. This manual page was written by Eugene V. Lyubimkin <jackyf.devel@gmail.com>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). Oct 15, 2008 DAPTUP(8)