Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers How to associate files with app.? In GNOME. Post 302887560 by Svenus on Saturday 8th of February 2014 06:45:45 PM
Old 02-08-2014
Hammer & Screwdriver How to associate files with app.? In GNOME.

Howdy! Using GNOME: gnome-terminal 2.18.2 here. QUESTION: How do I associate *txt files to a launcher object I created for Vim on my Desktop? Let's call it "MyVimLauncher". It starts Vim without any files loaded when I click on it. BUT, when I right-click "myfile.txt" to get the menu item "Open with other application", I can't find the object "MyVimLauncher", neither in list "Potential Applications", nor in list "All applications", so as to select it for opening "myfile.txt" and all *txt files. Tried draggin'n dropping the object into the lists, but the object does not get added to lists. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 02-08-2014 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: Multiple """ replaced by double quotes.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Associate files to a prgm in solaris

Does anyone know how to associate a file to a program in solaris 8(running CDE). I use my filemgr in solaris and have some .jpg files that are associated with the old openwindows imagetool, so when I dubbleclick the .jpg-file imagetool opens. How and where can I change this to another program... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonlu
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems associate with upgrade

Dear all, We are planning on upgrading our current HP unix 64 bites from version 11.0 to 11.11. I would like to find out all the possible problems that we will encounter especially on the application side. Can anyone provide me with list(s) or link(s) where I can find out more information? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wujee
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possible to use a Java app with dll files on Unix-systems

Hi... I have build a program for the Velleman K8000 interface card, in java, which works just fine in windows, but now I want to use the program on a Unix-System. Is it possible to somehow convert the dll file to a format that Unix supports, or do I have to find another way? Dll-file:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scorp-D
3 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Terminal.app keeps creating copies of my settings files

Under Leopard, I like to conveniently open Terminal windows onto remote systems. I've created several settings files in Terminal, one for each remote system that I want to access. To open window, I right-click on the Terminal icon in the Dock, expand the "New Window" menu item, and select the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: siemsen
0 Replies

5. Programming

Populating Associate Arrays in PHP

I'm not very good at associative arrays; and working on this PHP code has got me a bit stumped. My goal is to populate a (multidimensional) associative array in a PHP while look after a MySQL query. The code fragment looks like this: while($campaign_row = mysql_fetch_array($campaigninfo)) { ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup & restore Gnome Desktop and all settings in Gnome

Hi I'm looking for scripts to backup & restore Gnome Desktop and all settings in Gnome. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run files with an app

hello, I need help in Unix scripting I have a whole list of file name in a Input file. I need to run the command iteratively and output the result into a text file e.g While read < Input file ; do QUERY filenane done > output.txt Appreciate your help Thank you Suhas;) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suhas Kurse
8 Replies

8. Red Hat

Unable to get a Xterm or X app to appear under a Linux Gnome Desktop

I want to have a xterm or xapplication from a Solaris client to appear on my RHEL Server running GNOME desktop. It may sound easy at first but, I have done the basics and I be stuck. Have Tried: Linux - logged in as root, open a Terminal and did a echo $DISPLAY and it reports back :0.0 I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
7 Replies

9. Programming

Wuhan Coronavirus Status App for China - Rapid Prototype using MQTT and the IoT OnOff IOS App

With a little bit of work, was able to build a nice "Wuhan Coronavirus Status" app using MQTT and the IoT-OnOff app. More on this technique here: ESP32 (ESP-WROOM-32) as an MQTT Client Subscribed to Linux Server Load Average Messages The result turned out nice, I think. I like the look and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
10 Replies
EVIM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   EVIM(1)

NAME
evim - easy Vim, edit a file with Vim and setup for modeless editing SYNOPSIS
evim [options] [file ..] eview DESCRIPTION
eVim starts Vim and sets options to make it behave like a modeless editor. This is still Vim but used as a point-and-click editor. This feels a lot like using Notepad on MS-Windows. eVim will always run in the GUI, to enable the use of menus and toolbar. Only to be used for people who really can't work with Vim in the normal way. Editing will be much less efficient. eview is the same, but starts in read-only mode. It works just like evim -R. See vim(1) for details about Vim, options, etc. The 'insertmode' option is set to be able to type text directly. Mappings are setup to make Copy and Paste work with the MS-Windows keys. CTRL-X cuts text, CTRL-C copies text and CTRL-V pastes text. Use CTRL-Q to obtain the original meaning of CTRL-V. OPTIONS
See vim(1). FILES
/usr/local/lib/vim/evim.vim The script loaded to initialize eVim. AKA
Also Known As "Vim for gumbies". When using evim you are expected to take a handkerchief, make a knot in each corner and wear it on your head. SEE ALSO
vim(1) AUTHOR
Most of Vim was made by Bram Moolenaar, with a lot of help from others. See the Help/Credits menu. 2002 February 16 EVIM(1)