Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Process a specific number of files ina list Post 302887326 by alister on Thursday 6th of February 2014 09:35:20 PM
Old 02-06-2014
If you cd into the directory with the files, you can craft a single pipeline to do the work (at least, as I understood it): ls to generate a list, grep to filter by name, sort to numerically sort by MAE_EPOCH, head to limit the number of results, and awk to extract whatever portions of the underscore-delimited records are needed.

The output of that pipeline can then be fed to a while-read loop for processing.

Regards,
Alister
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to find the count of files ina directory

hi Gurus, can anyone provide a awk command to get teh count of number of file sin a specific directory. appreciate any kind of information.. thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sish78
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retreive content between specific lines ina file

Hi I have a text file which has two sets of lines repeating for "n" number of times.Some data is printed between the two lines.I want to retrieve all the data thats there in between those two set of lines.I have the string value of those two set of lines. To be much more clearer ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chennaitomcruis
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to reduce multiple files into a specific number of files

Can anyone please let me know how do I reduce files into a specific number of files by cat'ing files? For example: 15 files must be reduced to 1 or 5 or 9 (possible values 1 to 14) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aryanbelank
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating large number of files of specific size

Hi I am new to shell scripting.I want to create a batch file which creates a desired number of files with a specific size say 1MB each to consume space.How can i go about it using for loop /any other loop condition using shell script? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swatideswal
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix command to count the number of files with specific characters in name

Hey all, I'm looking for a command that will search a directory (and all subdirectories) and give me a file count for the number of files that contain specific characters within its filename. e.g. I want to find the number of files that contain "-a.jpg" in their name. All the searching I've... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphysm
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

highly specific search and replace for a large number of files

hey guys, I have a directory with about 600 files. I need to find a specific word inside a command and replace only that instance of the word in many files. For example, lets say I have a command called 'foo' in many files. One of the input arguments of the 'foo' call is 'bar'. The word 'bar'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksubrama
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to count specific word and iterate over number of files.

Hi Experts, I want to know the count of specific word in a file. I have almost 600+ files. So I want to loop thru each file and get the count of the specific word. Please help me on achieving this... Many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep specific number from a list of numbers

Hello. I have 9060 files labelled File1 to File9060. They are in numerical order. When I grep a file eg. File90 it will show me all files that contain the pattern "File90", eg File901 or File9001. I can only get specific files for File1000 or higher. How can I resolve this problem? Is there a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: godzilla07
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] How to find particular files ina directory?

Hi, I am trying to write a script to find some files in a directory Example: if i have files like 2014-02-01_aaaa.txt 2014-02-01_bbbb.txt 2014-02-01_cccc.txt 2014-02-01_dddd.txt and some other files how can i just check to see if there four files exits or not i tried some thing like this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikatakavi
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with number to select based on number

Hi experts, I am using KSH and I am need to display file with number in front of file names and user can select it by entering the number. I am trying to use following command to display list with numbers. but I do not know how to capture number and identify what file it is to be used for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mysocks
5 Replies
pid(n)                                                         Tcl Built-In Commands                                                        pid(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
pid - Retrieve process identifiers SYNOPSIS
pid ?fileId? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
If the fileId argument is given then it should normally refer to a process pipeline created with the open command. In this case the pid command will return a list whose elements are the process identifiers of all the processes in the pipeline, in order. The list will be empty if fileId refers to an open file that is not a process pipeline. If no fileId argument is given then pid returns the process identi- fier of the current process. All process identifiers are returned as decimal strings. EXAMPLE
Print process information about the processes in a pipeline using the SysV ps program before reading the output of that pipeline: set pipeline [open "| zcat somefile.gz | grep foobar | sort -u"] # Print process information exec ps -fp [pid $pipeline] >@stdout # Print a separator and then the output of the pipeline puts [string repeat - 70] puts [read $pipeline] close $pipeline SEE ALSO
exec(n), open(n) KEYWORDS
file, pipeline, process identifier Tcl 7.0 pid(n)