Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Determining if a process is active in UNIX Post 302887196 by Charles Swart on Thursday 6th of February 2014 09:38:01 AM
Old 02-06-2014
Determining if a process is active in UNIX

We have written a bare bones scheduling app using bash scripts. The input to the scheduler is from a mainframe scheduling tool, and the scripts exit code is returned to the MF. The problem is that every now and again I have a script that does not complete and this is left in my Q. I am in the process of writing a clean up script that would run every now and again to find these rogue scripts and clean them out of my running Q. When executing the script I store the PID. The heart of my cleanup script is to determine if the PID is still active.

I have tried various methods to determine this including ps -p $id and kill -0 $id, but none seems to give me the result I require. I understand that the kill option might not work if I am not the process owner and I have read all the documentation on the ps command, but I can not find an answer to my question.

My script looks like this currently:
Code:
  for file in *     # Check all entries in the 'Running' directory
  do
    if [ -f $file ]
    then

Pidfl="${dir2}/${file}.pid"    #Set up file that contains PID

Pidfl2="${dir1}/${file}"

if [ -f $Pidfl ]         #If the PID file is still in the directory
      then
        Act_Proc=`cat ${Pidfl}`  #Get the PID contained in the file
        echo "$ACT_Proc"
        if kill -0 $ACT_Proc = 0  ####### how do I check if it is still active?:(
          then 
            echo "Now in removing ${file}"
#            mail_remove()
          fi
      else   #no PID found, remove from Q 
        echo "Now in removing ${file}"
#        mail_remove()
      fi
    fi 
  done

Last edited by Scott; 02-06-2014 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

unix and active directory

Hi Does anybody know the steps and requirements of the installation process of Windows Active Directory using Unix/Linux Bind DNS. I will appreciate if somebody gives the answer. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Darwin Rodrigue
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Active Directory and UNIX

Hello - I have a very vague question, which will probably result in vague answers because I don't have a lot of detailed information and I don't know a whole lot about active directory. Our Windows/NT admin has been rolling out Active Directory over the past several weeks and as time goes on,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rm -r *
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Similiar to active directory in Unix?

Hi all, If Windows server have an active directory and active folder/mapping(maybe in unix NFS). Is there any similiar fuctions in unix. Actually if we have a hundred client in unix/linux with unix server, I want to manage user client and access control easier as in windows. Thank you in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blesets
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

vmstat returns good val for cpuIdle put ps shows no active process

hi i'm running a shell script that checks the amount of cpu idle either using /usr/bin/vmstat 1 2 or sar 1 2 (on unixware) before i run some tests(if cpu idle greater than 89 I run them). These tests are run on many platforms, linux(suse, redhat) hp-ux, unixware, aix, solaris, tru64. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: OFFSIHR
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get active connections in Unix

Hi All, I have to find out how many active connections with other machines are there,then list the remote machine IP address and type of connection. When u say type of connection what does it means TCP,UDP ram. then what is UNIX active connection Please let me know as soon as possible. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatin.jain
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Integrating unix with Active Directory

Hey guys. Maybe this should go in Security, I'm not sure... At my work we make websites. Our development servers for these websites are run on a central Debian linux server which we can SSH into, which also contains all the files for these websites. These files are served to the entire... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nottrobin
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rollover/compress log from ACTIVE process

I have some Solaris processes that run weeks at a time that create rather large log files that I would like to archive/compress daily. Instead of stopping the process, what can be done so that the log file is backed up and shrunk, but the process can still log to the open file handle without major... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
7 Replies

8. Programming

Determining file access perms for current process

Stupid question, but is there an ANSI C stdlib function that will do this for me? I want to pass the function a path and determine if the current process can read/write/execute on the path. I suppose I can whip something up using fstat and then determining the current process's user/group IDs and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Q's on Active Process Time

Is it possible to display active processes' Year,Month,Day,Hour,Minute,Second info of process start time ? Preferbly in the format "YYYY/MM/DD HH:MM:SS" ? I tried to do this with the ps command but it only gets the time or date. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers Steve (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
4 Replies

10. Solaris

active directory equivalent for unix

At the moment we are integrating LDAP in our environment. Compared to Windows this process is much complicated and time consuming. With Windows you had Active Directory and if you create a new server, you just add it to the domain and your finished. Yes, I know Unix is not Windows. Are there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: misterx12345
1 Replies
IONICE(1)							   User Commands							 IONICE(1)

NAME
ionice - set or get process I/O scheduling class and priority SYNOPSIS
ionice [-c class] [-n level] [-t] -p PID... ionice [-c class] [-n level] [-t] command [argument...] DESCRIPTION
This program sets or gets the I/O scheduling class and priority for a program. If no arguments or just -p is given, ionice will query the current I/O scheduling class and priority for that process. When command is given, ionice will run this command with the given arguments. If no class is specified, then command will be executed with the "best-effort" scheduling class. The default priority level is 4. As of this writing, a process can be in one of three scheduling classes: Idle A program running with idle I/O priority will only get disk time when no other program has asked for disk I/O for a defined grace period. The impact of an idle I/O process on normal system activity should be zero. This scheduling class does not take a priority argument. Presently, this scheduling class is permitted for an ordinary user (since kernel 2.6.25). Best-effort This is the effective scheduling class for any process that has not asked for a specific I/O priority. This class takes a priority argument from 0-7, with a lower number being higher priority. Programs running at the same best-effort priority are served in a round-robin fashion. Note that before kernel 2.6.26 a process that has not asked for an I/O priority formally uses "none" as scheduling class, but the I/O scheduler will treat such processes as if it were in the best-effort class. The priority within the best-effort class will be dynamically derived from the CPU nice level of the process: io_priority = (cpu_nice + 20) / 5. For kernels after 2.6.26 with the CFQ I/O scheduler, a process that has not asked for an I/O priority inherits its CPU scheduling class. The I/O priority is derived from the CPU nice level of the process (same as before kernel 2.6.26). Realtime The RT scheduling class is given first access to the disk, regardless of what else is going on in the system. Thus the RT class needs to be used with some care, as it can starve other processes. As with the best-effort class, 8 priority levels are defined denoting how big a time slice a given process will receive on each scheduling window. This scheduling class is not permitted for an ordinary (i.e., non-root) user. OPTIONS
-c, --class class Specify the name or number of the scheduling class to use; 0 for none, 1 for realtime, 2 for best-effort, 3 for idle. -n, --classdata level Specify the scheduling class data. This only has an effect if the class accepts an argument. For realtime and best-effort, 0-7 are valid data (priority levels). -p, --pid PID... Specify the process IDs of running processes for which to get or set the scheduling parameters. -t, --ignore Ignore failure to set the requested priority. If command was specified, run it even in case it was not possible to set the desired scheduling priority, which can happen due to insufficient privileges or an old kernel version. -h, --help Display help and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. EXAMPLES
# ionice -c 3 -p 89 Sets process with PID 89 as an idle I/O process. # ionice -c 2 -n 0 bash Runs 'bash' as a best-effort program with highest priority. # ionice -p 89 91 Prints the class and priority of the processes with PID 89 and 91. NOTES
Linux supports I/O scheduling priorities and classes since 2.6.13 with the CFQ I/O scheduler. AUTHORS
Jens Axboe <jens@axboe.dk> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The ionice command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2011 IONICE(1)