Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity Is ccrypt AES 256 bit crypto secure enough? Post 302887079 by Perderabo on Wednesday 5th of February 2014 01:33:39 PM
Old 02-05-2014
Yeah, but read that page the OP linked. It's only 2 sentences or so. It says "However, in the AES standard a 128-bit block size is used, whereas ccrypt uses a 256-bit block size." I don't understand how someone can read that and conclude that AES is in use.

gpg (gnu privacy guard) is open source and should be immune to the back door intentionally placed in prodcuts. Your link about key recovery is worrisome. But they need both ciphertext and plaintext to recover the key.

The word here at work is that we are required to AES-256 still. As long as I can convince a security auditor that AES-256 is in use I am covered. I can do that with gpg. I would not want to try with ccrypt.

AES-256 is a symmetric key algorithm. What symmetric key algorithm would you replace AES-256 with? Those longer keys you mention are usually associated with public key encryption.

Our mandate to use AES-256 ultimately comes from the US Department of Defense who seems to feel that it is adequate protection.
This User Gave Thanks to Perderabo For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

encrypting file system using AES 256 bit

Experts, I am trying to encrypt my filesystem using the AES 256 bit type of encryption. I am using FreeBSD 5.4 and need to encrypt one of the mounted points. Does anybody have any good idea of how to do it? Is there any documentation about encrypting the disk partition as this method is more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmynath
2 Replies

2. Programming

AES encryption

Hi, Any body can please point me to source code for implementing AES encryption in CTR mode i.e RFC 3686 (AES-CTR).I did googling but no good results. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raom
6 Replies

3. Programming

JAVA AES keylength exception

I am developing a JAVA application that must encrypt its data. On my development machine, I can use a 256 bit key with no problem. A test machine throws an exception complaining about an illegal key length. The test machine is using JRE 1.6u21. Does anyone know where I can get a version of the JRE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed with special characters produced from crypto

Hey there, I'm facing some weird issues with sed when trying to do substitution in a text file with the content of some environment variables. Those variables are used to store crypted (3DES) info with much special characters and that's where the problem starts. I've already tried to use both... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jormun
7 Replies

5. Programming

Publish and Subscribe to AES-256 Encrypted MQTT Messages to Node-RED from PHP Scripts

Various Node-Red crypto modules do not work with PHP, so to send an encrypted message from a PHP script (in this case from a Ubuntu server) to Node-RED we need our own code. After a few hours of searching, testing various libs, more testing and debugging, I got this PHP to Node-RED code... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
shishi_aes_cts(3)						      shishi							 shishi_aes_cts(3)

NAME
shishi_aes_cts - API function SYNOPSIS
#include <shishi.h> int shishi_aes_cts(Shishi * handle, int decryptp, const char * key, size_t keylen, const char iv[16], char * ivout[16], const char * in, size_t inlen, char ** out); ARGUMENTS
Shishi * handle shishi handle as allocated by shishi_init(). int decryptp 0 to indicate encryption, non-0 to indicate decryption. const char * key input character array with key to use. size_t keylen length of input character array with key to use. const char iv[16] char * ivout[16] const char * in input character array of data to encrypt/decrypt. size_t inlen length of input character array of data to encrypt/decrypt. char ** out newly allocated character array with encrypted/decrypted data. DESCRIPTION
Encrypt or decrypt data (depending on decryptp) using AES in CBC-CTS mode. The length of the key, keylen, decide if AES 128 or AES 256 should be used. The out buffer must be deallocated by the caller. RETURN VALUE
Returns SHISHI_OK iff successful. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-shishi@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002-2010 Simon Josefsson. Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification, are permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright notice and this notice are preserved. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for shishi is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and shishi programs are properly installed at your site, the command info shishi should give you access to the complete manual. shishi 1.0.1 shishi_aes_cts(3)