Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity Is ccrypt AES 256 bit crypto secure enough? Post 302887067 by Perderabo on Wednesday 5th of February 2014 12:43:27 PM
Old 02-05-2014
I have never heard of ccrypt and your link does not convince me that AES-256 is in use. I mostly use gpg for AES-256 bit encryption. Like this:

Code:
gpg -c --cipher-algo aes256 secret.txt

and to decrypt the file:

Code:
gpg secret.txt.gpg

Your link talks about using Rijndael, not AES. Read the AES page on wikipedia. Only 3 members of the Rijndael family are used in AES and all of them have a block size 128 bits. Your link says ccrypt is using a blocksize of 256 bits. I wonder if you have block size and key size confused? ccrypt may be good enough for your purposes, but based on your llink I will stay with gpg.
This User Gave Thanks to Perderabo For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

encrypting file system using AES 256 bit

Experts, I am trying to encrypt my filesystem using the AES 256 bit type of encryption. I am using FreeBSD 5.4 and need to encrypt one of the mounted points. Does anybody have any good idea of how to do it? Is there any documentation about encrypting the disk partition as this method is more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmynath
2 Replies

2. Programming

AES encryption

Hi, Any body can please point me to source code for implementing AES encryption in CTR mode i.e RFC 3686 (AES-CTR).I did googling but no good results. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raom
6 Replies

3. Programming

JAVA AES keylength exception

I am developing a JAVA application that must encrypt its data. On my development machine, I can use a 256 bit key with no problem. A test machine throws an exception complaining about an illegal key length. The test machine is using JRE 1.6u21. Does anyone know where I can get a version of the JRE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed with special characters produced from crypto

Hey there, I'm facing some weird issues with sed when trying to do substitution in a text file with the content of some environment variables. Those variables are used to store crypted (3DES) info with much special characters and that's where the problem starts. I've already tried to use both... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jormun
7 Replies

5. Programming

Publish and Subscribe to AES-256 Encrypted MQTT Messages to Node-RED from PHP Scripts

Various Node-Red crypto modules do not work with PHP, so to send an encrypted message from a PHP script (in this case from a Ubuntu server) to Node-RED we need our own code. After a few hours of searching, testing various libs, more testing and debugging, I got this PHP to Node-RED code... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
Image::ExifTool::AES(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Image::ExifTool::AES(3pm)

NAME
Image::ExifTool::AES - AES encryption with cipher-block chaining SYNOPSIS
use Image::ExifTool::AES qw(Crypt); $err = Crypt($plaintext, $key, 1); # encryption $err = Crypt($ciphertext, $key); # decryption DESCRIPTION
This module contains an implementation of the AES encryption/decryption algorithms with cipher-block chaining (CBC) and RFC 2898 PKCS #5 padding. This is the AESV2 and AESV3 encryption mode used in PDF documents. EXPORTS
Exports nothing by default, but "Crypt" may be exported. METHODS
Crypt Implement AES encryption/decryption with cipher-block chaining. Inputs: 0) Scalar reference for data to encrypt/decrypt. 1) Encryption key string (must have length 16, 24 or 32). 2) [optional] Encrypt flag (false to decrypt). 3) [optional] Flag to avoid removing padding after decrypting, or to avoid adding 16 bytes of padding before encrypting when data length is already a multiple of 16 bytes. Returns: On success, the return value is undefined and the data is encrypted or decrypted as specified. Otherwise returns an error string and the data is left in an indeterminate state. Notes: The length of the encryption key dictates the AES mode, with lengths of 16, 24 and 32 bytes resulting in AES-128, AES-192 and AES-256. When encrypting, the input data may be any length and will be padded to an even 16-byte block size using the specified padding technique. If the encrypt flag has length 16, it is used as the initialization vector for the cipher-block chaining, otherwise a random IV is generated. Upon successful return the data will be encrypted, with the first 16 bytes of the data being the CBC IV. When decrypting, the input data begins with the 16-byte CBC initialization vector. BUGS
This code is blindingly slow. But in truth, slowing down processing is the main purpose of encryption, so this really can't be considered a bug. AUTHOR
Copyright 2003-2011, Phil Harvey (phil at owl.phy.queensu.ca) This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. REFERENCES
<http://www.hoozi.com/Articles/AESEncryption.htm> http://www.csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips197/fips-197.pdf <http://www.csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips197/fips-197.pdf> <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3602.html> SEE ALSO
Image::ExifTool(3pm) perl v5.12.4 2011-03-04 Image::ExifTool::AES(3pm)