Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Disable copying secure key's to remote system Post 302887000 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 5th of February 2014 02:21:57 AM
Old 02-05-2014
I guess you could try making the file authorized_keys such that the user can read, but not modify it and also that he cannot change the access rights to that file..

More generally, you could have a look at the AuthorizedKeysFile keyword in sshd_config

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 02-05-2014 at 03:35 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Secure FTP Problem using Sun SSH on Client system F-Secure on Server system

I am using shell script to do secure ftp. I have done key file setup to do password less authentication. Following are the FTP Details: FTP Client has Sun SSH. FTP Server has F-Secure. I am using SCP Command to do secure copy files. When I am doing this, I am getting the foll error scp:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ftpguy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files from a remote server to local system with cygwin

Hi. I'm sorry if I get on people's nerves asking this, but I don't really understand how to do this and unfortunately don't have the time to work through it step by step in books, etc. At University, we have a unix server that hosts our files. we each have a login and password to access it. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: patwa
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

secure upload using public key

Hi, i was provided with 1. Server IP (Remote) 2. Username and Password (worked when tested basic FTP) 3. Their Public key (GnuPG v1.0.6) They refuse when i upload using basic FTP and insists for encryption. I have Solaris 10 and Linux in my environment. How can i encrypt and upload... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

secure file transfer with public key

Hi, I was provided with Server IP Username and Password (worked when tested basic FTP) Public key (GnuPG v1.0.6) They refuse when I send it using basic FTP and insists for encryption. I have Solaris 10 and Linux in my environment. How can I encrypt and send them securely?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to disable Enable/Disable Tab Key

Hi All, I have bash script, so what is sintax script in bash for Enable and Disable Tab Key. Thanks for your help.:( Thanks, Rico (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carnegiex
1 Replies

6. Linux

Disable connection logging for a specfic service (/var/log/secure)

Hello, is there a way to disable connection logging for a specific service? Or eventually to disable /var/log/secure in general? Closed. Double post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disable connection logging for a specfic service (/var/log/secure)

Hello, is there a way to disable connection logging for a specific service? Or eventually to disable /var/log/secure in general? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Secure private key

Hello all, We have unix environment and we would like to use ssh public and private key to move between server using ssh. I do know how to test this and have it up and running on some sandbox...but my question is how would one secure the PRIVATE KEY....we are not using a passphrase...and i know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abdul.irfan2
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a file from secure host to desktop

I have extremely limited programming experience so please go slowly! I am remotely logged in to a secure network cluster via my username at my school through terminal. I'm trying to download a file from my account on the cluster to my desktop on a guest account on my mac. I tried doing this:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smashingdols
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a text file from my Ubuntu Windows Sub System to a remote instance through SSH

*Following questions involves use of YAML, BASH, SSH and Software called Ansible* I am trying to learn how to use a Linux environment (in my case a Ubuntu Windows Sub System) to copy a text file from my files to a remote instance (in this case Amazon Web Services) by connecting via SSH. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suhaba
8 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id - install your public key in a remote machine's authorized_keys SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-i [identity_file]] [user@]machine DESCRIPTION
ssh-copy-id is a script that uses ssh to log into a remote machine and append the indicated identity file to that machine's ~/.ssh/autho- rized_keys file. If the -i option is given then the identity file (defaults to ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) is used, regardless of whether there are any keys in your ssh-agent. Otherwise, if this: ssh-add -L provides any output, it uses that in preference to the identity file. If the -i option is used, or the ssh-add produced no output, then it uses the contents of the identity file. Once it has one or more fin- gerprints (by whatever means) it uses ssh to append them to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine (creating the file, and directory, if necessary.) NOTES
This program does not modify the permissions of any pre-existing files or directories. Therefore, if the remote sshd has StrictModes set in its configuration, then the user's home, ~/.ssh folder, and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file may need to have group writability disabled manu- ally, e.g. via chmod go-w ~ ~/.ssh ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine. SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-agent(1), sshd(8) OpenSSH 14 November 1999 SSH-COPY-ID(1)