Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Help to Convert file from UNIX UTF-8 to Windows UTF-16 Post 302886930 by fpmurphy on Tuesday 4th of February 2014 09:51:27 AM
Old 02-04-2014
iconv and BOMs are a gray area in the Unicode specification. A useful discussion regarding iconv and presence or lack of a BOM is here

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Howto convert Ascii -> UTF-8 & back C++

While working with russian text under FreeBSD&MySQL I need to convert a string from MySQL to the Unicode format. I've just started my way in C++ under FreeBSD , so please explain me how can I get ascii code of Char variable and also how can i get a character into variable with the specified ascii... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macron
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and UNICODE (utf-16) file

I'm using shell scripting in Applescript. When searching a file with the ANSEL character set (for GEDCOM files) using (grep '1 CHAR ANSEL' filepath) gives the expected result. When searching a UNICODE formatted file (utf-16), searching for text known to exist in the file using (grep '1 CHAR... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Whiterock
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert UTF-8 encoded hex value to a character

Hi, I have a non-ascii character (Ŵ), which can be represented in UTF-8 encoding as equivalent hex value (\xC5B4). Is there a function in unix to convert this hex value back to display the charcter ? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumirmehta
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UTF-8 to EBCDIC conversion in UNIX

Hi all, At present a file from AS400 system is being FTPed to an AIX system. Now, a similar file needs to be sent from our Unix box (Solaris) Is there any tool available which does the conversion in Unix from UTF-8 to EBCDIC? Any suggestions/ pointers are really appreciated. Thanks,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhar_423
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

Can't convert 7bit ASCII to UTF-8

Hello, I am trying to convert a 7bit ASCII file to UTF-8. I have used iconv before though it can't recognize it for some reason and says unknown file encoding. When I used ascii2uni package with different package, ./ascii2uni -a K -a I -a J -a X test_file > new_test_file It still... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with UTF-8 BOM character in text file

Sometimes we recieve some excel files containing French/Japanese characters over the mail, and these files are manually transferred to the server by using SFTP (security is not a huge concern here). The data is changed to text format before transferring it using Notepad. Problem is: When saving... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to convert utf-8 to WINDOWS-1251

Hello all i have utf-8 file that i try to convert to WINDOWS-1251 on linux without any success the file name is utf-8 when i try to do : file -bi test.txt it gives me : text/plain; charset=utf-8 when i try to convert the file i do : /usr/bin/iconv -f UTF-8 -t WINDOWS-1251 test.txt >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a file with UTF char on UNIX server

Hi, I need to run a SQL which check for special UTF char in DB. When I try to copy that in UNIX file it changes it to some wierd chat. How can in retain the UTF chars in my script? e.g. ο|π|ρ|σ|τ|υ|φ|χ|ψ Any help will be appriciated. Thanks, (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun22486
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTF-8 file to ASCII/ISO8859-1 OR replace characters

I am trying to develop a script which will work on a source UTF-8 file and perform one or more of the following It will accept the target encoding as an argument e.g. US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1, etc 1. It should replace all occurrences of characters outside target character set by " " (space) or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemkiran.s
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert files to UTF-8 on AIX 7.1

Dears, I have a shell script - working perfectly on Oracle Linux - that detects the encoding (the charset to be exact) of the files in a specified directory using the "file" command (The file command outputs the charset in Linux, but doesn't do that in AIX), then if the file isn't a UTF-8 text... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JeanM-1
4 Replies
libcaca character set conversions(3caca)			      libcaca				  libcaca character set conversions(3caca)

NAME
libcaca character set conversions - Functions __extern uint32_t caca_utf8_to_utf32 (char const *, size_t *) Convert a UTF-8 character to UTF-32. __extern size_t caca_utf32_to_utf8 (char *, uint32_t) Convert a UTF-32 character to UTF-8. __extern uint8_t caca_utf32_to_cp437 (uint32_t) Convert a UTF-32 character to CP437. __extern uint32_t caca_cp437_to_utf32 (uint8_t) Convert a CP437 character to UTF-32. __extern char caca_utf32_to_ascii (uint32_t) Convert a UTF-32 character to ASCII. __extern int caca_utf32_is_fullwidth (uint32_t) Tell whether a UTF-32 character is fullwidth. Detailed Description These functions perform conversions between usual character sets. Function Documentation __extern uint32_t caca_utf8_to_utf32 (char const *s, size_t *bytes) Convert a UTF-8 character read from a string and return its value in the UTF-32 character set. If the second argument is not null, the total number of read bytes is written in it. If a null byte was reached before the expected end of the UTF-8 sequence, this function returns zero and the number of read bytes is set to zero. This function never fails, but its behaviour with illegal UTF-8 sequences is undefined. Parameters: s A string containing the UTF-8 character. bytes A pointer to a size_t to store the number of bytes in the character, or NULL. Returns: The corresponding UTF-32 character, or zero if the character is incomplete. Referenced by caca_put_str(). __extern size_t caca_utf32_to_utf8 (char *buf, uint32_tch) Convert a UTF-32 character read from a string and write its value in the UTF-8 character set into the given buffer. This function never fails, but its behaviour with illegal UTF-32 characters is undefined. Parameters: buf A pointer to a character buffer where the UTF-8 sequence will be written. ch The UTF-32 character. Returns: The number of bytes written. __extern uint8_t caca_utf32_to_cp437 (uint32_tch) Convert a UTF-32 character read from a string and return its value in the CP437 character set, or '?' if the character has no equivalent. This function never fails. Parameters: ch The UTF-32 character. Returns: The corresponding CP437 character, or '?' if not representable. __extern uint32_t caca_cp437_to_utf32 (uint8_tch) Convert a CP437 character read from a string and return its value in the UTF-32 character set, or zero if the character is a CP437 control character. This function never fails. Parameters: ch The CP437 character. Returns: The corresponding UTF-32 character, or zero if not representable. __extern char caca_utf32_to_ascii (uint32_tch) Convert a UTF-32 character into an ASCII character. When no equivalent exists, a graphically close equivalent is sought. This function never fails, but its behaviour with illegal UTF-32 characters is undefined. Parameters: ch The UTF-32 character. Returns: The corresponding ASCII character, or a graphically close equivalent if found, or '?' if not representable. __extern int caca_utf32_is_fullwidth (uint32_tch) Check whether the given UTF-32 character should be printed at twice the normal width (fullwidth characters). If the character is unknown or if its status cannot be decided, it is treated as a standard-width character. This function never fails. Parameters: ch The UTF-32 character. Returns: 1 if the character is fullwidth, 0 otherwise. Referenced by caca_put_char(), and caca_put_str(). Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for libcaca from the source code. Version 0.99.beta18 Fri Apr 6 2012 libcaca character set conversions(3caca)