Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question Post 302886819 by TheGreatGizmo on Monday 3rd of February 2014 08:05:58 PM
Old 02-03-2014
Sorry, I'm really new to bash. Could someone explain how each part of these code segments work in 3 year old terms? And what the second one does? I like to understand what is going on. These were taken from Neutronscott's reply. Thanks

EDIT: Okay, I see what you did here. Though I'm not sure what the "$0" is for on the end of the printf statement.
Code:
(( $# == 2 )) || {
        printf 'Usage: %s <prefix> <ext>\n' "$0"
        exit 1
}

Code:
shopt -s globstar

Code:
continue # only "regular" files

EDIT: and I understand everything here other than '%s%03d.%s'
Code:
printf -v new '%s%03d.%s' "$prefix" $((number++)) "$type"

Code:
# skip to next file if name conflict
[ -f "$new" ] && continue
[ -x "$file" ] && continue

Last edited by TheGreatGizmo; 02-03-2014 at 10:10 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

editing files with script

hi guys, We have to implement new local (/etc/default/login) USER security policy on almost 50 stations. so editing /etc/default/login and /etc/default/passwd will be way too long work. Can we do the same using some script, I mean editing the above files and putting variables as RETRIES=3, ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for editing column files

Hi, I have been doing files editing (using "vi") to change the period (e.g. 0902 to 0903) for 100 files each week as shown in the example below. I would like to have a script to solve this manual files editing. Please advice. Example: Change from: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JunZ
2 Replies

3. Web Development

bash script editing my apache config files

okay i'm going to try to say this uber-simple: I use dropbox (file-sync service). in order for dropbox sync files, they must be its children eg. somewhere under /home/jzacsh/Dropbox]. I want to now use it to keep my development files in sync across my machines: easy: just move my dev. files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jzacsh
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Gzip files in Directory and itīs Subdirectories

Hello dear Community, I have a task to wrtie a script which will gzip not zipped files in a directory and itīs subdirectories. I succeeded in gzippung the directory but not the subdirectories: #/bin/bash #go to the directory where to zip cd $1 #Zip unzipped files for i in `ls | xargs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesCarter
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing lists of integers in 1d files with bash shell

Hi, I need a script that will: 1. Go through about 20 different folders, each containing about 20 1d files. The 1d files go something like this: 22.253 37.707 78.117 112.374 127.944 156.067 180.956 233.785 249.256 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ac130pilot
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Archive Files from Subdirectories

Hello, I have a CentOS server that contains a 'storage' directory. Within that directory, there could be any number of subfolders (all with unique names that match usernames). Under each username folder, there are two additional folders: db and files /STORAGE/user1/db/... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JasonH
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab deleting files command question

Hello out there, Our system has a pdf generator that creates pdf files. We dont need them pas 120 days. So I have this command in my crontab. I currently set it to "0" for testing. But normally have it set to -mtime 120 to remove files out of the folders from PDF out to several other potential... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzip all the files with subdirectories present and append a part of string from the main .zip files

Hi frnds, My requirement is I have a zip file with name say eg: test_ABC_UH_ccde2a_awdeaea_20150422.zip within that there are subdirectories on each directory we again have .zip files and in that we have files like mama20150422.gz and so on. Iam in need of a bash script so that it unzips... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to all the files inside a directory excluding subdirectories and .zip files

Hii, Could someone help me to append string to the starting of all the filenames inside a directory but it should exclude .zip files and subdirectories. Eg. file1: test1.log file2: test2.log file3 test.zip After running the script file1: string_test1.log file2: string_test2.log file3:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with running a script on files located in subdirectories

Hello everyone, I'm am a newbie to coding so I am reaching out in hopes that I can get some help from this forum. I am trying to run the script below from a single directory, however the directory has many subfolders. In each of those subfolders is a file, uniquely named to that specific... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: azurite
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)