Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Alternative for /usr/sbin/userdbset on Linux Post 302886782 by olyanderson on Monday 3rd of February 2014 02:55:21 PM
Old 02-03-2014
Alternative for /usr/sbin/userdbset on Linux

Hello.

I am currently on HPUX and migrating to Linux RHEL 6.4

This program on hpux:

/usr/sbin/userdbset

is puzzling me on linux.

Does anyone know the equivilent program forked or used on linux.

This program is mentioned in our user reset script.

here is a strings of the userdbset for some clues.

thanks!

Code:
# strings /usr/sbin/userdbset|more
%2d%2d-%2d%2d
%4d-%4d
hpux.security.attribute.
delete
modify
/etc/passwd
Attribute %s is not valid for non-local users.
Invalid username : %s
userdbset: unable to access /etc/security.dsc
userdbset: internal error - unable to process /etc/security.dsc
LOGIN_TIMES
Incorrect LOGIN_TIMES specification : %s=%s.
Invalid argument : %s=%s
%s is out of range.
Unknown attribute : %s
/var/adm/userdb/USERDB.DISABLED
%s%2.2x
/var/adm/userdb/
userdbset: unable to access /etc/security.dsc
userdbset: internal error - unable to process /etc/security.dsc
/var/adm/userdb/USERDB.DISABLED
%s%2.2x
/var/adm/userdb/
WARNING: Corrupt userdb - bad checksum found in %s user : %s, run userdbck.
Unable to import data - cannot open data file : %s
Importing data from : %s
Skipping internal attribute entry : %s %s=%s
Unable to add entry : %s %s=%s
Unable to import data - incorrect file format : %s
Imported %d records.
userdbset
userdbset: not allowed on a Trusted System
/var/adm/userdb/
Access to user database, userdb(4), denied.
diu:af:
/usr/bin/privsh
PRIVRUN_USER=%s
/usr/lib/libacps.1
acps_simplecheckauth
userdbset: Unable to load acps_simplecheckauth() from : %s
/usr/lib/libacps.1
hpux.security.attribute.import
hpux.security.attribute.delete
Serious error encountered trying to access the user database, run userdbck.
userdbset - unable to lock user database.
userdbset - user database access is disabled.
Access to user database, userdb(4), denied.
usage : %s -u user attr=value ...
usage : %s -d -u user [-i]
usage : %s -d -u user attr ...
usage : %s -d -a attr ...
usage : %s [-u user] -f import_datafile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/usr/sbin/getty

How can i restart the console getty without rebooting the system on HPUX 11.0 Normally it will be stated by ps -ef | grep getty console 0:00 /usr/sbin/getty console console many thanx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iceman_denmark
4 Replies

2. Solaris

WARNING - /usr/sbin/fsck not found - Please help

WARNING - /usr/sbin/fsck not found. Most likely the mount of /usr failed or the /usr filesystem is badly damaged. The system is being halted. Either re-install the system of boot with -b option in an attempt to recover Anyone help me on restoring this without having to reinstall. it is a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
8 Replies

3. Solaris

different between /sbin/init and /usr/sbin/init

root@test09 # ls -al /sbin/init -r-xr-xr-x 1 root sys 550000 Jun 29 2002 /sbin/init root@test09 # ls -al /usr/sbin/init -r-xr-xr-x 1 root sys 37100 Jun 29 2002 /usr/sbin/init (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: userking
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

syslog: /usr/sbin/envd[1075]:

hi friends, what is the meaning of this error ? syslog: /usr/sbin/envd: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
2 Replies

5. Solaris

crontab /usr/sbin/rtc log rc=1

I noticed in my cron log file for my solaris 8 servers the rc=1. I imagine that is return code and something did not process. Does anyone know what that is, is there fix or the implications of leaving it? Thank you > CMD: && /usr/sbin/rtc -c > /dev/null 2>&1 > root 22049 c Fri Dec 19... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csgonan
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

/usr/sbin/crond: can't lock /var/run/crond.pid,

please tell pre-requisite steps to activate cron. i activated the cron but it not executing the script which i set in crontab entry.through root user i passed the service crond start it get start.but when i go to etc/init.d and passed crond stop command.it gets crond: can't lock /var/run/crond.pid,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umair
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libquazip.so.1.0.0 is empty, not checked.

I thought I would document this error since its not documented very well. The package or file may be different but the idea is the same. $ sudo yum updateLoaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit, versionlock Setting up Update Process Resolving Dependencies --> Running... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies

8. AIX

/usr/sbin/extendvg: Unable to extend volume group

Dear Expret, Help me about my issue, I trying add new disk to volume Group but error: step add new disk to volume group. 1. ~Change a Volume Group Add a Physical Volume to a Volume Group Remove a Physical Volume from a Volume Group Reorganize a Volume Group... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: williamen
6 Replies

9. HP-UX

HP-UX /usr/sbin/snmpdm logging level default?

Hi, I'm not an HP-UX SysAdmin and work with Linux Systems a bit more but I have a question about the logging level for the snmpdm. We don't specify or modify anything so we're probably taking the default? What is the default? I see in the man page these options are available: Turn off... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hlutz
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

"/usr/sbin/hpacucli ctrl all show" command does not work

Dear Concern, We have observed that following command stuck/does not work in some RedHat nodes. Please advise us to troubleshoot the issue. /usr/sbin/hpacucli ctrl all show Note: HP Array Configuration Utility CLI for Linux 64-bit With Best Regards, Md. Abdullah-Al Kauser (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
3 Replies
RUNUSER(1)							   User Commands							RUNUSER(1)

NAME
runuser - run a command with substitute user and group ID SYNOPSIS
runuser [options] -u user command [argument...] runuser [options] [-] [ user [argument...] ] DESCRIPTION
runuser allows to run commands with substitute user and group ID. If the option -u not given, fallback to su compatible semantic and shell is executed. The difference between the commands runuser and su is that runuser does not ask for password (because it may be executed by root user only) and it uses a different PAM configuration. The command runuser does not have to be installed with suid permissions. When called without arguments runuser defaults to running an interactive shell as root. For backward compatibility runuser defaults to not change the current directory and to only set the environment variables HOME and SHELL (plus USER and LOGNAME if the target user is not root). This version of runuser uses PAM for session management. OPTIONS
-c command, --command=command Pass command to the shell with the -c option. --session-command=command Same as -c but do not create a new session (discouraged). -f, --fast Pass -f to the shell which may or may not be useful depending on the shell. -g, --group=group specify the primary group, this option is allowed for root user only -G, --supp-group=group specify a supplemental group, this option is allowed for root user only -, -l, --login Starts the shell as login shell with an environment similar to a real login: o clears all environment variables except for TERM o initializes the environment variables HOME, SHELL, USER, LOGNAME, PATH o changes to the target user's home directory o sets argv[0] of the shell to '-' in order to make the shell a login shell -m, -p, --preserve-environment Preserves the whole environment, ie does not set HOME, SHELL, USER nor LOGNAME. The option is ignored if the option --login is specified. -s SHELL, --shell=SHELL Runs the specified shell instead of the default. The shell to run is selected according to the following rules in order: o the shell specified with --shell o The shell specified in the environment variable SHELL if the --preserve-environment option is used. o the shell listed in the passwd entry of the target user o /bin/sh If the target user has a restricted shell (i.e. not listed in /etc/shells) the --shell option and the SHELL environment variables are ignored unless the calling user is root. --help Display help text and exit. --version Display version information and exit. CONFIG FILES
runuser reads the /etc/default/runuser and /etc/login.defs configuration files. The following configuration items are relevant for runuser: ENV_PATH (string) Defines the PATH environment variable for a regular user. The default value is /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin. ENV_ROOTPATH (string) ENV_SUPATH (string) Defines the PATH environment variable for root. The default value is /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin. ALWAYS_SET_PATH (boolean) If set to yes and --login and --preserve-environment were not specified runuser initializes PATH. EXIT STATUS
runuser normally returns the exit status of the command it executed. If the command was killed by a signal, runuser returns the number of the signal plus 128. Exit status generated by runuser itself: 1 Generic error before executing the requested command 126 The requested command could not be executed 127 The requested command could was not found FILES
/etc/pam.d/runuser default PAM configuration file /etc/pam.d/runuser-l PAM configuration file if --login is specified /etc/default/runuser runuser specific logindef config file /etc/login.defs global logindef config file SEE ALSO
pam(8), shells(5), login.defs(5), su(1) AUTHOR
Derived from coreutils' su which was based on an implemenation from David MacKenzie and Fedora runuser command from Dan Walsh. AVAILABILITY
The runuser command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux August 2012 RUNUSER(1)