Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Exact match using sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Exact match using sed Post 302886486 by Don Cragun on Friday 31st of January 2014 11:22:56 PM
Old 02-01-2014
In your sample input, the value you're looking for only appears in the last field.

Here are a couple of awk scripts. The first script only looks for the desired value in the last field of each input line; the second script looks for the desired value in any filed:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
search_value=${1:-21}
echo 'Checking last field only:'
awk -v sv="$search_value" '$NF != sv' file
printf '\nChecking every field:\n'
awk -v sv="$search_value" '
{       for(i = 1; i <= NF; i++)
                if($i == sv)
                        next
        print
}' file

If you want to try this on a Solaris/SunOS System, use /usr/xpg4/bin/awk, /usr/xpg6/bin/awk, or nawk instead of the default /usr/bin/awk. This script was tested using a Korn shell, but will also work with any other shell that recognizes basic POSIX shell syntax (such as bash).

If you make the above script an executable file named tester and the file named file contains your sample input:
Code:
543 1 2 5 21
5421 5 9 2
678 7 8 10
78921 9 10 11 21
78 0 23 2 4
9821 3 4 2 21
8943 7 8 10

the output produced by executing either of the commands:
Code:
./tester
    or
./tester 21

will be:
Code:
Checking last field only:
5421 5 9 2
678 7 8 10
78 0 23 2 4
8943 7 8 10

Checking every field:
5421 5 9 2
678 7 8 10
78 0 23 2 4
8943 7 8 10

and the command:
Code:
./tester 2

will produce the output:
Code:
Checking last field only:
543 1 2 5 21
678 7 8 10
78921 9 10 11 21
78 0 23 2 4
9821 3 4 2 21
8943 7 8 10

Checking every field:
678 7 8 10
78921 9 10 11 21
8943 7 8 10

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed or grep to find exact match of text

Hi, Can anyone help me with the text editing I need here. I have a file that contains the following lines for example: (line numbers are for illustration only) 1 Hello world fantasy. 2 Hello worldfuntastic. 3 Hello world wonderful. I would like to get all those lines of text that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: risk_sly
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to match only exact string only in all occurences

Dear Friends, Anybody knows how to match exact lines only in multilinear. Input file: apple orange orange apple apple orange Desired output: fruit orange apple fruit i used the command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

exact string match ; search and print match

I am trying to match a pattern exactly in a shell script. I have tried two methods awk '/\<mpath${CURR_MP}\>/{print $1 $2}' multipath perl -ne '/\bmpath${CURR_MP}\b/ and print' /var/tmp/multipath Both these methods require that I use the escape character. I am guessing that is why... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED to replace exact match, not first occurrence.

Lets say I have file.txt: (Product:Price:QuantityAvailable) (: as delimiter) Chocolate:5:5 Banana:33:3 I am doing a edit/update function. I want to change the Quantity Available, so I tried using the SED command to replace 5, but my Price which is also 5 is changed instead. (for the Banana... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylbh
13 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and sed exact match questions

This was mistaken as homework in a different forum, but is not. These are questions that are close to what I am trying to do at work. QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and sed exact match questions

This post was previously mistaken for homework, but is actually a small piece of what I working on at work. Please answer if you can. QUESTION1 How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodc
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep or sed - printing line only with exact match

Hello. In my script, some command return : q | kernel-default | package | 3.19.0-1.1.g8a7d5f9 | x86_64 | openSUSE-13.2-Kernel_stable_standard | kernel-default | package | 3.19.0-1.1.g8a7d5f9 | i586 | openSUSE-13.2-Kernel_stable_standard | kernel-default ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed Exact Match when Dot is present

I am trying to replace exact word from my text. I know using the angled brackets does the trick. But it is not working when there is a dot in the text. echo "Bottle BottleWater Bottle Can" | sed 's/\<Bottle\>//g' BottleWater CanBut if my data has a dot or hash in it, it replaces all the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep_me
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match exact String with sed command

I have a workaround to the problem i m posting, however if someone wants to look at my query and respond ... i will appreciate. This is in reference to this thread -> https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/267630-extract-between-two-exact-matched-strings.html I have data.txt as... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update file based on partial match in field1 and exact match in field2

I am trying to create a cronjob that will run on startup that will look at a list.txt file to see if there is a later version of a database using database.txt as the source. The matching lines are written to output. $1 in database.txt will be in list.txt as a partial match. $2 of database.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
TOUCH(1)							   User Commands							  TOUCH(1)

NAME
touch - change file timestamps SYNOPSIS
touch [OPTION]... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Update the access and modification times of each FILE to the current time. A FILE argument that does not exist is created empty. A FILE argument string of - is handled specially and causes touch to change the times of the file associated with standard output. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -a change only the access time -c, --no-create do not create any files -d, --date=STRING parse STRING and use it instead of current time -f (ignored) -m change only the modification time -r, --reference=FILE use this file's times instead of current time -t STAMP use [[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.ss] instead of current time --time=WORD change the specified time: WORD is access, atime, or use: equivalent to -a WORD is modify or mtime: equivalent to -m --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Note that the -d and -t options accept different time-date formats. DATE STRING
The --date=STRING is a mostly free format human readable date string such as "Sun, 29 Feb 2004 16:21:42 -0800" or "2004-02-29 16:21:42" or even "next Thursday". A date string may contain items indicating calendar date, time of day, time zone, day of week, relative time, rela- tive date, and numbers. An empty string indicates the beginning of the day. The date string format is more complex than is easily docu- mented here but is fully described in the info documentation. AUTHOR
Written by Paul Rubin, Arnold Robbins, Jim Kingdon, David MacKenzie, and Randy Smith. REPORTING BUGS
Report touch bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for touch is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and touch programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'touch invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 TOUCH(1)