Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grabbing value from file and run command in `` Post 302886346 by 3junior on Thursday 30th of January 2014 08:28:47 PM
Old 01-30-2014
Grabbing value from file and run command in ``

Hi ALL,

How can I make a script take data from a file and execute the commands within `` in the file n put that that in a variable?

Code:
for i in `cat file`
do
    file=`grep -i key file`
    cp ${file} test
done

file
/tmp/`date +y`log
/tmp/unix`date +y`log

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script grabbing cvs file .....

how do I write a script to checkout a file in cvs and cat the file into a file in my home directory Commands are cd /home/smr/sandbox cvsroot choose option 1 cvs co filename cat filename > /home/smr/newfilename Thank you! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed grabbing the last line of a file

I can grab the first line w/ sed how do you grab the last line of a file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grabbing result of sql command

Hi guys, Is there a way a script can run an SQL statement and dump the results into a variable which can then be used later in the script? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hern14
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grabbing a value from an output file

I am executing a stored proc and sending the results in a log file. I then want to grab one result from the output parameters (bolded below, 2) so that I can store it in a variable which will then be called in another script. There are more details that get printed in the beginning of the log file,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hern14
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Missing When Grabbing Files from SFTP Server using SCP Command

Hi, I have this problem where sometimes my files would go missing when I schedule my crontab to run the SCP command to get file from the SFTP server. My crontab will run the scripts at an interval of 3 minutes (between the two scripts) The following is the setting in my crontab. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gingervitus
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing value from command output and monitoring for changes

Hi all, Very new to shell scripting so appreciate some help! There is a process count that I need to monitor, I have the AIX command that gives this value and I've cleaned it up with grep/awk so it only spits out the value I'm interested in: echo "psc -i 10050 -s RELOAD_SERVICE" | tmadmin... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: monty77
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kornshell grabbing value from file

I have a script right now that I run a command which outputs just one word to a file. Well I need to grab that value and use it in another line of code so... touch oraclesid.txt echo $ORACLE_SID > oraclesid.txt #grab that value sqlplus v500/v500@<value> how do I grab that value from the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blogger11
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inquiry on Grabbing info from file.

Here is another script I am trying to customize currently, this script is used to send me disk space information, but at the moment I have to enter all the servers in manually SERVER= "xxx bbb ccc" ect.. how can I script it so that the servers are called off a txt file versus me entering all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NelsonC
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing a chunk of text from a file

Hi, I have a Report.txt file. Say the contents of this file are : 1 2 3 4 5 7 df v g gf e r dfkf lsdk dslsdklsdk Report Start: xxxxxxdad asdffsdfsdfsdfasfasdffasdf sadfasdfsadffsfsdf Report End. sdfasdfasdf sdfasfdasdfasdfasdfasdf sadfasdfsdf I need to grab from Report Start... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrskittles99
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for telnet and run one command kill it and run another command using while loop

( sleep 3 echo ${LOGIN} sleep 2 echo ${PSWD} sleep 2 while read line do echo "$line" PID=$? sleep 2 kill -9 $PID done < temp sleep 5 echo "exit" ) | telnet ${HOST} while is executing only command and exits. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sooda
5 Replies
FAXCRON(8)						      System Manager's Manual							FAXCRON(8)

NAME
faxcron - HylaFAX routine maintenance script SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/faxcron [ -n ] [ -l lastrun ] DESCRIPTION
faxcron is a command script that does routine upkeep tasks in a HylaFAX spooling directory hierarchy. This script is intended to be invoked from cron(8) on behalf of the fax user (often the ``fax'' user is uucp) once a day, with the standard output sent by mail to the HylaFAX administrator. For example, the following crontab might be set up for the fax user: 25 23 * * * sh /usr/sbin/faxcron | mail FaxMaster The faxcron script does the following work: o report statistics for facsimile transmitted since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile transmitted in the past week. o report statistics for facsimile received since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile received in the past week. o report any recent calls that failed suspiciously and return the associated trace log; o purge data that is 30 days or older from the remote machine information directory; o delete information that is 30 days or older from session trace log files; o remove files from the tmp directory that are older than 1 day; o remove files in the received facsimile queue that are 7 days or older; o report sites that are currently having jobs rejected; and o force all session log files to be owned by the fax user and kept with protection mode 644. OPTIONS
-n Forces faxcron to run without updating any files. -l lastrun Forces the notion of the last time that faxcron was run to be lastrun. The value of lastrun is a date and time string of the form ``MM/DD/YY HH:MM'' (the date(1) format string ``%D %H:%M''). -info n Set the expiration time for data in the info database to be n days. -log n Set the expiration time for session log data to be n days. -rcv n Set the expiration time for files in the received facsimile queue to be n days. -tmp n Set the expiration time for files in the tmp directory to be n days. -mode m Set the file protection mode for session logs to m (a command line argument to chmod(1)). NOTES
This script requires nawk(1) or gawk(1) and a date (1) program that supports the ``+format'' option. If session logs are to be kept private this script must be modified to filter out sensitive information such as calling card numbers. (It should also be run with ``-mode 0600'' so that session log files are not publicly readable.) FILES
/var/spool/hylafax spooling area /var/spool/hylafax/status/lastrun timestamp of last run /usr/sbin/xferfaxstats for generating transmit statistics /usr/sbin/recvstats for generating receive statistics /var/spool/hylafax/tmp/faxcronXXXX temporary file for truncating session logs /var/spool/hylafax/tmp/faxlogXXXX temporary file for logs of failed calls SEE ALSO
cron(8), faxq(8), faxgetty(8), faxsend(8), xferfaxstats(8), recvstats(8), hylafax-server(5) May 12, 1996 FAXCRON(8)