Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Create a bundle of user ids
Operating Systems AIX Create a bundle of user ids Post 302886328 by ibmtech on Thursday 30th of January 2014 04:56:08 PM
Old 01-30-2014
Yes, there is a way
I am assuming you are using your NIM server to create the user on multiple servers.

I am not sure if you are using a script or manually ssh'ing to each host and creating the user.

Its little tricky but it works,
Say you want the password to be abc123 (an user can change after 1st login), and you created the user (say user1) on server1, what you do now is on server1
Code:
passwd user1 --> type in abc123 (twice)
now 
cat /etc/security/passwd | grep -p user1
user1:
        password = XXXXX
        lastupdate = 1387815793

Now you will copy the password (XXXXX) (ofcourse it is not xxxx, but encrypted password), and from NIM you can add a new line to your script below mkuser command

Code:
echo "user1:XXXXX" |chpasswd -e -f ADMCHG

This will have the same password as abc123 on all the server you run the script for that user.
You will set a password and it is changeable 1st time the user login.

Note: user1 is the example I am using for user

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating user ids on multiple systems simultaneously

I am trying to think of a way to create user ids on multiple Linux systems in one fell swoop without logging onto each system indivually. Is there a way to do this with ssh commands? I don't want to use NIS/LDAP solution just a simple shell script utilitarian methodoloy would suffice. Also, I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darthur
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all, I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mallesh
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How create a large list of document ids in VI

How can I create a large list of document ids, about a 1,000 or more in a list without having to type them in? If I can list these documents ids with one command I know how to transfer the output to a new vi list. But how can I strip unwanted extra information in this list and leave only the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ruben7566
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Howto create new service bundle

Hi, I have created a service referring the below link. https://www.unix.com/tips-tutorials/32987-creating-solaris10-service.html Now am able to import and enable the service. I have placed my xml file under /var/svc/manifest/site The service name is <service ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

validate user ids

Hi I have to validate the user ids. It should be numeric. I am using following code echo $input | grep '^\{11\} > /dev/null if echo "error" else echo "Success" fi But when i entered user id as 828^&% the output is 8565 8566 -bash: ^: command not found Means when i entered... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scripting - process and user ids...Help please

Hello all: Working on a job I was asked get a simple script to perform the following task and would like to ask for some help. I'm looking forward to learning more and diving deeper into the World of Open Source servers. I need a script for a Unix server, using as few lines as possible, that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moahten
4 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Create New User with the same group nd privileges of the other user

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to duplicate privileges and group for useroradb01 to userrootdb01. I have currently using "useroradb01" and create a newly user "userrootdb01". I want both in the sames privileges and group. Please see the existing users list below; drwxr-xr-x 53 useroradb01... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
0 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

List of all ids,groups, privilege ids

I wish to pull out a list of all user ids on the system, including the privileged ids, the groups to which they belong to. Sometimes after deleting an id also, its home dir does not get deleted or an entry is left behind in /etc/passwd. Can someone help me with a script to achieve both. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
2 Replies
PASSWD(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 PASSWD(1)

NAME
passwd, yppasswd -- modify a user's password SYNOPSIS
passwd [-l] [user] yppasswd [-l] [-y] [-d domain] [-h host] [-o] DESCRIPTION
The passwd utility changes the user's local, Kerberos, or NIS password. If the user is not the super-user, passwd first prompts for the cur- rent password and will not continue unless the correct password is entered. When entering the new password, the characters entered do not echo, in order to avoid the password being seen by a passer-by. The passwd utility prompts for the new password twice in order to detect typing errors. The total length of the password must be less than _PASSWORD_LEN (currently 128 characters). Once the password has been verified, passwd communicates the new password information to the Kerberos authenticating host. The following option is available: -l Cause the password to be updated only in the local password file, and not with the Kerberos database. When changing only the local password, pwd_mkdb(8) is used to update the password databases. When changing local or NIS password, the next password change date is set according to ``passwordtime'' capability in the user's login class. To change another user's Kerberos password, one must first run kinit(1) followed by passwd. The super-user is not required to provide a user's current password if only the local password is modified. NIS INTERACTION
The passwd utility has built-in support for NIS. If a user exists in the NIS password database but does not exist locally, passwd automati- cally switches into yppasswd mode. If the specified user does not exist in either the local password database or the NIS password maps, passwd returns an error. When changing an NIS password, unprivileged users are required to provide their old password for authentication (the rpc.yppasswdd(8) daemon requires the original password before it will allow any changes to the NIS password maps). This restriction applies even to the super-user, with one important exception: the password authentication is bypassed for the super-user on the NIS master server. This means that the super-user on the NIS master server can make unrestricted changes to anyone's NIS password. The super-user on NIS client systems and NIS slave servers still needs to provide a password before the update will be processed. The following additional options are supported for use with NIS: -y Override passwd's checking heuristics and forces it into NIS mode. -l When NIS is enabled, the -l flag can be used to force passwd into ``local only'' mode. This flag can be used to change the entry for a local user when an NIS user exists with the same login name. For example, you will sometimes find entries for system ``placeholder'' users such as bin or daemon in both the NIS password maps and the local user database. By default, passwd will try to change the NIS password. The -l flag can be used to change the local password instead. -d domain Specify what domain to use when changing an NIS password. By default, passwd assumes that the system default domain should be used. This flag is primarily for use by the superuser on the NIS master server: a single NIS server can support multiple domains. It is also possible that the domainname on the NIS master may not be set (it is not necessary for an NIS server to also be a client) in which case the passwd command needs to be told what domain to operate on. -h host Specify the name of an NIS server. This option, in conjunction with the -d option, can be used to change an NIS password on a non- local NIS server. When a domain is specified with the -d option and passwd is unable to determine the name of the NIS master server (possibly because the local domainname is not set), the name of the NIS master is assumed to be ``localhost''. This can be overrid- den with the -h flag. The specified hostname need not be the name of an NIS master: the name of the NIS master for a given map can be determined by querying any NIS server (master or slave) in a domain, so specifying the name of a slave server will work equally well. -o Do not automatically override the password authentication checks for the super-user on the NIS master server; assume ``old'' mode instead. This flag is of limited practical use but is useful for testing. FILES
/etc/master.passwd the user database /etc/passwd a Version 7 format password file /etc/passwd.XXXXXX temporary copy of the password file /etc/login.conf login class capabilities database SEE ALSO
chpass(1), kinit(1), login(1), login.conf(5), passwd(5), kerberos(8), kpasswdd(8), pam_passwdqc(8), pw(8), pwd_mkdb(8), vipw(8) Robert Morris and Ken Thompson, UNIX password security. NOTES
The yppasswd command is really only a link to passwd. HISTORY
A passwd command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
February 14, 2014 BSD