Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String pointer does not work
Top Forums Programming String pointer does not work Post 302886308 by yifangt on Thursday 30th of January 2014 02:40:39 PM
Old 01-30-2014
Assigning a pointer does not assign its contents. I had thought I understand this, but actually I do not! Here is another example I thought I understood, but I am so unsure even it compiles fine and runs well as I expected.
Code:
#include<stdio.h>
#include<stdlib.h>
#include<string.h>

//_____________Version 1_______________
void *strrev1(char* begin){
    char temp;
    char* end;
    end = begin + strlen(begin)-1;

while(end>begin){
        temp = *end;
        *end = *begin;
        *begin = temp;
        end--;
        begin++;
    } 
}

//_____________Version 2_______________
char *strrev2( char *s)
  {
  char  c;
  char* s0 = s - 1;
  char* s1 = s;

/* Find the end of the string */
  while (*s1) ++s1;

/* Reverse it */
  while (s1-- > ++s0)
    {
    c   = *s0;
    *s0 = *s1;
    *s1 =  c;
    }

return s;
  }

//_____________Version 3_______________
char *strrev3(char* seq){
  if( seq == NULL || !(*seq) ) 
            return NULL;

int i, j = strlen(seq)-1;
    char *seq_rv;

seq_rv = malloc(sizeof(char) * (j+1));

for(i=0; j>=0; i++, j--) 
        *(seq_rv+i) = *(seq+j);

return seq_rv;
//    free(seq_rv);                        //Line 57: Is this needed?
}

int main(){
    char *string, *copy1, *copy2, *copy3;            //using pointer for strings
    string=malloc(sizeof(char)*100);
    copy1=malloc(sizeof(char)*100);
    copy2=malloc(sizeof(char)*100);
    copy3=malloc(sizeof(char)*100);

scanf("%s",string);
    strcpy(copy1, string);
    strcpy(copy2, string);
    strcpy(copy3, string);

strrev1(string);

printf("\n%s\n", copy1);
    printf("%s\n", string);
    printf("%s\n", strrev2(copy2));
    printf("%s\n", strrev3(copy3));

free(string);
free(copy1);
free(copy2);
free(copy3);

return 0;

}

The first two functions are adapted from stackoverflow, and the third one by myself. Now my questions are:
1)Both strrev1() and strrev2() reverse the string in place, but strrev1() does not have return value as the latter which returns a pointer; I tried to integrate to my original program for seq->qual.s, neither one worked. Why?
2) strrev3() malloc memory and has return value too. Does it take double amount of memory as compared with strrev2()? If I have 100 millions of sequence(Yes, that's normal with my files!) Then replace the original string in place would be a good idea, isn't it?
3) When malloc is used in function with returned value, should I free the memory in the function after the value is returned (Line 57) ? Memory should automatically be released on the stack once the function call is done, is this right?

Last edited by yifangt; 02-01-2014 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: typo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

String and pointer problem

i am having a string like " X1 " ---> string lenght is 30 I have stored this to a chararry . ref so here ref = " X1 " now i trim the left space by my function . Si the string now becomes "X1 " ---> string lenght is 15... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

2. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

3. Solaris

string extraction won't work. Why?

#!/usr/bin/ksh set -x testfile=my.test.file.flag echo ${testfile: (-4)} #/home/maldohe/scripts/spawn1& sleep 3 echo myspawn is now ending exit Background: I am trying to extract the word flag from anf given file name. This is a demo script that I am working on to fix a production issue.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
8 Replies

4. Programming

segfault in pointer to string program

hello all, my question is not about How code can be rewritten, i just wanna know even though i am not using read only memory of C (i have declared str) why this function gives me segfault :wall:and the other code executes comfortably though both code uses same pointer arithmetic. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zius_oram
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting vowels in string. "Comparison pointer-integer".

I'm trying to write a programme which scans strings to find how many vowels they contain. I get an error saying that I'm trying to compare a pointer and an integer inif(*v == scanme){. How can I overcome this ? Also, the programme seems to scan only the first word of a string e.g.: if I type "abc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fakuse
1 Replies

6. Programming

How i use pointer as a string in c programing?

I'm newbie learner. My all friend use windows just only me use linux. so i can't solve any problem by myself. i need a solution. how can i use pointer as a string. #include<string.h> #include<stdio.h> int main() { char *s='\0'; gets(s); puts(s); return 0; } This code work on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raihan004
6 Replies

7. Programming

Scanf() string pointer problem

I have a problem with scanf() for string pointer as member of a struct. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> struct Student { int studentNumber; int phoneNumber; char *studentName; //line 7 // char studentName; //line 8 }; int... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why does bc work with 'here string' and not via pipe in this example?

Hi! I actually got it running, but I still would like to understand, why and how, since I am a beginner in bash scripting. I Need floating numbers and thus use bc in my bash script. Here it is: #!/bin/bash num1="10^-15" | bc -l #power function piped to bc - DOES NOT WORK echo $num1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: McHale
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract work in line string.?

Hello all, Soon I will be receiving a new file. I've asked the source system to put "TRAILER.1+0000007+1" for the trailer to indicate full receipt of file. I need to know how to separate TRAILER so I can use it in a if statement. I used the tail command but not sure how to incorporate awk or... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pone2332
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

C shell concatenate string doesn't work

I have the following code: #!/bin/csh clear set cloud_file="/home/labs/koren/davidsr/general_scripts/MFP_10_PP_Parmas.txt" # to fill set mie_tables_dir='/home/labs/koren/davidsr/SHDOM_MAIN/MIE_TABLES/non_polo_wave_0.7_water_50R_s0.5_e25_max_70.mie' # to fill set prp_dir='${pp_dir}/pp_prp/'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: student_wiz
2 Replies
GEARMAN_JOB_STATUS(3)							 1						     GEARMAN_JOB_STATUS(3)

GearmanClient::jobStatus - Get the status of a background job

Object oriented style (method):

SYNOPSIS
public array GearmanClient::jobStatus (string $job_handle) DESCRIPTION
Gets the status for a background job given a job handle. The status information will specify whether the job is known, whether the job is currently running, and the percentage completion. PARAMETERS
o $job_handle - The job handle assigned by the Gearman server RETURN VALUES
An array containing status information for the job corresponding to the supplied job handle. The first array element is a boolean indicat- ing whether the job is even known, the second is a boolean indicating whether the job is still running, and the third and fourth elements correspond to the numerator and denominator of the fractional completion percentage, respectively. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Monitor the status of a long running background job <?php /* create our object */ $gmclient= new GearmanClient(); /* add the default server */ $gmclient->addServer(); /* run reverse client */ $job_handle = $gmclient->doBackground("reverse", "this is a test"); if ($gmclient->returnCode() != GEARMAN_SUCCESS) { echo "bad return code "; exit; } $done = false; do { sleep(3); $stat = $gmclient->jobStatus($job_handle); if (!$stat[0]) // the job is known so it is not done $done = true; echo "Running: " . ($stat[1] ? "true" : "false") . ", numerator: " . $stat[2] . ", denomintor: " . $stat[3] . " "; } while(!$done); echo "done! "; ?> The above example will output something similar to: Running: true, numerator: 3, denomintor: 14 Running: true, numerator: 6, denomintor: 14 Running: true, numerator: 9, denomintor: 14 Running: true, numerator: 12, denomintor: 14 Running: false, numerator: 0, denomintor: 0 done! SEE ALSO
GearmanClient::doStatus. PHP Documentation Group GEARMAN_JOB_STATUS(3)