Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search avoiding special characters Post 302886263 by gina.lizar on Thursday 30th of January 2014 10:44:21 AM
Old 01-30-2014
Search avoiding special characters

Hi all,

I have a list which I want to search in another file.
I can do that using
grep -f

but the search is failing due to special characters, how do I solve this?

One row in that list is

Code:
amino-acid permease inda1 [Pyrenophora tritici-repentis  Pt-1C-BFP]gb|EDU41782.1| amino-acid permease inda1 [Pyrenophora  tritici-repentis Pt-1C-BFP]

Input file to be searched
Code:
comp1538736c0_seEON956710       5821833 putative amino-acid permease inda1 protein [Togninia minima UCRPA7]     1e-114  418     0       2       736     97      342     89.8%   80.1%
comp1538234c2_seEON956710       582.455 putative amino-acid permease inda1 protein [Togninia minima UCRPA7]     3e-18   96.7    2       2       229     338     413     71.1%   65.8%
comp1538600c3_seXP_001939063    5733127 amino-acid permease inda1 [Pyrenophora tritici-repentis Pt-1C-BFP]gb|EDU41782.1| amino-acid permease inda1 [Pyrenophora tritici-repentis Pt-1C-BFP]     5e-36   155     2       233     598     448 573      69.8%   59.5%

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

special characters

I have one file which is named ^? ( the DEL character ) I'd like to know how to rename or copy the file by using its i-node number TYIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nawnaw
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search special characters in a file

Hello I am new to shell scripting and can anyone tell me how to check if there are any special characters in a file. Can i use grep ? thanks susie (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cramya80
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to search for filenames that contain special characters

Hello, I have a requirement to search a directory, which contains any number of other directories for file names that contain special characters. directory structure DIR__ |__>DIR1 |__>DIR2__ |__>DIR2.1 |__>DIR2.2 |__>DIR3 .. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
8 Replies

4. SCO

Avoiding duplicates with some special case

Hi Gurus, I had a question regarding avoiding duplicates.i have a file abc.txt abc.txt ------- READER_1_1_1> HIER_28056 XML Reader: Error occurred while parsing:; line number ; column number READER_1_3_1> Sun Mar 23 23:52:48 2008 READER_1_3_1> HIER_28056 XML Reader: Error occurred while... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters

When I open a file in vi, I see the following characters: \302\240 Can someone explain what these characters mean. Is it ASCII format? I need to trim those characters from a file. I am doing the following: tr -d '\302\240' ---------- Post updated at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sid1982
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search pattern with special characters passed from CL

I'm very new to awk and sed and I've been struggling with this for a while. I'm trying to search a file for a string with special characters and this string is a command line argument to a simple script. ./myscript "searchpattern" file #!/bin/sh awk "/$1/" $2 > dupelistfilter.txt sed... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see special characters?

Hi all, I was wondering how can i see the special characters like \t, \n or anything else in a file by using Nano or any other linux command like less, more etc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvj
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace "]Facebook" from the text but sed 's/]Facebook/Johan/g' is not working could you please help me with that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raka_rjit
2 Replies
gnome-search-tool(1)					      General Commands Manual					      gnome-search-tool(1)

NAME
gnome-search-tool - the GNOME Search Tool SYNOPSIS
gnome-search-tool [options] or select Search for Files... from a Main Menu or from the Places menu in a Menu Bar DESCRIPTION
GNOME Search Tool is a utility for finding files on your system. To perform a basic search, you can type a filename or a partial filename, with or without wildcards. To refine your search, you can apply additional search options. GNOME Search Tool uses the find, grep, and locate UNIX commands. The case sensitivity of the search depends on your operating system. For example, on Linux, the find, grep, and locate commands support the -i option, so all searches are case-insensitive. For full documentation see the GNOME Search Tool online help. OPTIONS
--help Show help message --named=STRING Set the text of "Name contains" search option --path=PATH Set the text of "Look in folder" search option --sortby=VALUE Sort files by one of the following: name, folder, size, type, or date --descending Set sort order to descending, the default is ascending --start Automatically start a search --contains=STRING Select and set the "Contains the text" search option --mtimeless=DAYS Select and set the "Date modified less than" search option --mtimemore=DAYS Select and set the "Date modified more than" search option --sizemore=KILOBYTES Select and set the "Size at least" search option --sizeless=KILOBYTES Select and set the "Size at most" search option --empty Select the "File is empty" search option --user=USER Select and set the "Owned by user" search option --group=GROUP Select and set the "Owned by group" search option --nouser Select the "Owner is unrecognized" search option --notnamed=STRING Select and set the "Name does not contain" search option --regex=PATTERN Select and set the "Name matches regular expression" search option --hidden Select the "Show hidden and backup files" search option --follow Select the "Follow symbolic links" search option --mounts Select the "Exclude other filesystems" search option AUTHOR
GNOME Search Tool was originally written by George Lebl (<jirka@5z.com>). Version 2 was written by Dennis M. Cranston (<den- nis_cranston@yahoo.com>). This manual page was originally written by Jochen Voss <voss@mathematik.uni-kl.de>. Version 2 was written by Dennis M. Cranston (<den- nis_cranston@yahoo.com>). SEE ALSO
find(1), locate(1), grep(1) gnome-utils 2.27.1 March 16 2009 gnome-search-tool(1)