Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String pointer does not work
Top Forums Programming String pointer does not work Post 302886255 by yifangt on Thursday 30th of January 2014 09:55:07 AM
Old 01-30-2014
Thanks Scott!
Quote:
rev_comp malloc's memory for it's result, so you don't need Line 39 to do that.
Yes, this part is understood now. Ah, always I can't debug until someone points it out!
look how the two lines are the same. That's the problem I was trying to solve with Line 42, and your suggestion as strrev(seq->qual.s)which I have tried, but did not work.
By the way what do you mean
Quote:
seq->qual.s will be reversed now in memory, but you don't seem to use it again ..
by this sentence? I was trying to replace the string in place, but not sure I am doing it the right way. Thanks again!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

String and pointer problem

i am having a string like " X1 " ---> string lenght is 30 I have stored this to a chararry . ref so here ref = " X1 " now i trim the left space by my function . Si the string now becomes "X1 " ---> string lenght is 15... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

2. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

3. Solaris

string extraction won't work. Why?

#!/usr/bin/ksh set -x testfile=my.test.file.flag echo ${testfile: (-4)} #/home/maldohe/scripts/spawn1& sleep 3 echo myspawn is now ending exit Background: I am trying to extract the word flag from anf given file name. This is a demo script that I am working on to fix a production issue.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
8 Replies

4. Programming

segfault in pointer to string program

hello all, my question is not about How code can be rewritten, i just wanna know even though i am not using read only memory of C (i have declared str) why this function gives me segfault :wall:and the other code executes comfortably though both code uses same pointer arithmetic. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zius_oram
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting vowels in string. "Comparison pointer-integer".

I'm trying to write a programme which scans strings to find how many vowels they contain. I get an error saying that I'm trying to compare a pointer and an integer inif(*v == scanme){. How can I overcome this ? Also, the programme seems to scan only the first word of a string e.g.: if I type "abc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fakuse
1 Replies

6. Programming

How i use pointer as a string in c programing?

I'm newbie learner. My all friend use windows just only me use linux. so i can't solve any problem by myself. i need a solution. how can i use pointer as a string. #include<string.h> #include<stdio.h> int main() { char *s='\0'; gets(s); puts(s); return 0; } This code work on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raihan004
6 Replies

7. Programming

Scanf() string pointer problem

I have a problem with scanf() for string pointer as member of a struct. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> struct Student { int studentNumber; int phoneNumber; char *studentName; //line 7 // char studentName; //line 8 }; int... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why does bc work with 'here string' and not via pipe in this example?

Hi! I actually got it running, but I still would like to understand, why and how, since I am a beginner in bash scripting. I Need floating numbers and thus use bc in my bash script. Here it is: #!/bin/bash num1="10^-15" | bc -l #power function piped to bc - DOES NOT WORK echo $num1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: McHale
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract work in line string.?

Hello all, Soon I will be receiving a new file. I've asked the source system to put "TRAILER.1+0000007+1" for the trailer to indicate full receipt of file. I need to know how to separate TRAILER so I can use it in a if statement. I used the tail command but not sure how to incorporate awk or... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pone2332
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

C shell concatenate string doesn't work

I have the following code: #!/bin/csh clear set cloud_file="/home/labs/koren/davidsr/general_scripts/MFP_10_PP_Parmas.txt" # to fill set mie_tables_dir='/home/labs/koren/davidsr/SHDOM_MAIN/MIE_TABLES/non_polo_wave_0.7_water_50R_s0.5_e25_max_70.mie' # to fill set prp_dir='${pp_dir}/pp_prp/'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: student_wiz
2 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)