Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Renaming the file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Renaming the file Post 302886238 by rbatte1 on Thursday 30th of January 2014 08:21:14 AM
Old 01-30-2014
Remember that if you "name" portion of the filename contain full stops ., then you will have to adjust the suggestion from anbu23 to cater for that.

Perhaps:-
Code:
mv "${file}" /data/home/abc/xyz/azher/backup/"${file%.*}_$now.${file##*.}"

The double # will trim off the longest part of the variable it can match, so a filename of abc.def.csv

You also need to consider the path of the source file. If you file variable contains the path, you will have to trim that off too:-
Code:
src_dir="${file%/*}"
src_file="${file##*/}"
mv "${file}" "/data/home/abc/xyz/azher/backup/${src_file%.*}_${now}.${src_file##*.}"

I hope that this helps, even if it is unnecessary in your particular case.

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file name

I have an audit log that is produced each day from a production printer. It names the file using todays date, but it removes the leading zero's. For example: todays date 060104 names the file 6104.txt. I ftp this file onto a Sun box and pull stats off of it. To keep some consistency to what I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in renaming file !!!

Hi All, I want to rename a file inside a script which has a date portion appended at the start of the file name. The script i wrote works fine when the file comes on a day to day basis but sometimes it comes late too. #!/usr/bin/ksh cd /space/file/source dt=$(date "date "+%m%d%Y")... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming file

Dear Friends, Need your help once again. I have this file name e.g.1) report_12.rp_1 e.g.2) remark_mm.rmr_3 I want it to be renamed as report_12_1.rp remark_mm_3.rmr (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file

I am a complete Unix newbie and I need some help! (Please...) I need to rename a file from the following format: Test_Test_EAR_1234.ear To the following: Test_Test_EAR.ear In other words, I need to remove everything after & including the final underscore up to the "." What is the best... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeloLisa
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file use another file as a sequence calling a shl

have this shl that will FTP a file from the a directory in windows to UNIX, It get the name of the file stored in this variable $UpLoadFileName then put in the local directory LocalDir="${MPATH}/xxxxx/dat_files" that part seems to be working, but then I need to take that file and rename, I am using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rechever
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File renaming from list of names contained in another file

I have to rename a large number of files so that the name of each file corresponds to a code number that is given side by side in a list (textfile). The list contains in column A the filename of the actual files to be renamed and in column B the name (a client code, 9 digits) that has to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: netfreighter
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file

Hello, I have an outstanding issue..Iam on linux and using a putty to connect to my server and then fire our unix shell script. At location /usr/sam a file called "er 1 32.txt" out boss transfer via application. From my end on terminal when i want to transfer this file to some other location... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_panky
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with Renaming a file

I have a file named as Pro_PatAct_MMDDYYYY.csv. I need to renmae it to this Pro_PatAct.csv without the date timestamp. Can someone help me to achieve this using a regular expn. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: imran_affu
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming File

Hi there, I have 350 files in this directory: /home/adams/29 that was mistakenly renamed in this format: TTFILE_BIT_638478.txt.dat I want to take out the trailing .dat so that it ends in .txt: TTFILE_BIT_638478.txt I need help please. Thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Creems
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file and check for the renamed file existence

Hi Am trying to move a file from one name to another When I do "ls" to check for the moved filename I can see the file but when I try the same with a script am unable.. I think am doing some pretty silly error.. please help.. toMove=`ls | grep -E "partition.+"` mv $toMove partition._org... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
7 Replies
subst(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 subst(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- | fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command | substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even | when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. | If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- | tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- | tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for | that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is | returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. | In this way, all exceptional return codes are ``caught'' by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete | successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns ``xyz {44}'', not ``xyz {$a}'' and the script | set a "p} q {r" | subst {xyz {$a}} | return ``xyz {p} q {r}'', not ``xyz {p} q {r}''. | When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. | set a 44 | subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} | returns ``$a 44'', not ``$a $a''. Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to | retrieve the value of the variable. | proc b {} {return c} | array set a {c c [b] tricky} | subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} | returns ``[b] c'', not ``[b] tricky''. | The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest | of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script | subst {abc,[break],def} | returns ``abc,'', not ``abc,,def'' and the script | subst {abc,[continue;expr 1+2],def} | returns ``abc,,def'', not ``abc,3,def''. | Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value | subst {abc,[return foo;expr 1+2],def} | returns ``abc,foo,def'', not ``abc,3,def'' and | subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr 1+2],def} | also returns ``abc,foo,def'', not ``abc,3,def''. SEE ALSO
Tcl(1T), eval(1T), break(1T), continue(1T) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl 7.4 subst(1T)