Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Fetch ipaddress and hostname from host file. Post 302886236 by dinesh1178 on Thursday 30th of January 2014 08:16:00 AM
Old 01-30-2014
You can do it directly with
grep -i <ip address> /etc/hosts

Not sure why you need to use awk. Please provide more details if you have any specific requirement.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

fetch hostname and instance name using shell script

Hi All, Requirement is to fetch hostname and instance name using shell script from all configuration files on a server R12 on IBM AIX... could anyone please share such an experience encountered before.Is there such a script available in this forum or any other site.. Thanks for your time!... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetch lines from a file matching column2 of another file

Hi guys, Please help me out in this problem. I have two files FILE1 abc-23 : 4529675 cde-42 : 9824532 dge-91 : 1245367 gre-45 : 9824532 fgr-76 : 4529675 FILE2 4529675 : Gal Glu house-2-be 9824532 : cat mouse 1245367 : sirf surf-2-beta where FILE2 is a static file with fixed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smriti_shridhar
5 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

HP UX - ILO Console hostname different than Machine Hostname...

Hi All, So we added a new HP-UX 11.31 machine. Copied OS via Ignite-UX (DVD)over from this machine called machine_a. It was supposed to be named machine_c. And it is when you log in...however when I'm in the ILO console before logging in, it says: It should say: What gives? And how do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep specific ipaddress from a file

All, Iam new to unix and i have 1 requirement, can anyone help me please I have provided the file below, i will be having similar files in 100+clients systems. i want to check the the ip address "192.168.208.40" and if it is present then i should get a mail alert, if the ip address is not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tbd
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Classic: sendmail[pid]: My unqualified host name (hostname) unknown

Hi all, I'd like to disable sendmail permanently on my "new" 220R with freshly installed SunOS 5.10 because it prints annoying messages to the system console. Also I'm interested in how to fix the actual problem with unqualified host name. My unqualified host name (hostname) unknown; sleeping... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pseudocoder
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

make the name of file and fetch few things from log file

Hello All, I am working on a script where I need to fetch the value from a log file and log file creates with different name but few thing are common DEV_INFOMGT161_MULTI_PTC_BLD01.Stage_All_to_stp2perf1.042312114644.log STP_12_02_01_00_RC01.Stage_stp-domain_to_stp2perf2.042312041739.log ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the ipaddress and align based on the input file

Hi All, I have a file contains below contents, "interfacename/subnet: public (or) interfacename/subnet:cluster_interconnect" "en2"/10.185.81.0:cluster_interconnect,"en5"/10.185.81.0:cluster_interconnect,"en6"/169.181.146.0:public... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamauv234
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hostname -f hostname: Unknown host

deleted (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting an ipaddress and using it to send files but error at the end of file

i want to extract ip address from a file and using that ip address copy file to systems. set fid set content close $fid ## Split into records on newlines set records send "records splited\n" send $records\n set timeout 600 set a "test\n" send $a foreach rec $records { ##... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amature_rach
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)