Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need Some guidance on scripting Post 302886029 by Corona688 on Wednesday 29th of January 2014 12:01:29 PM
Old 01-29-2014
What have you tried?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

NIM Guidance

I've just started to explore NIM and I'm looking for additional information on how to set it up and configure it. I've read through the "NIM A-Z" and have many unanswered questions. One question is how can I have the NIM server pull a mksysb of the clients and can I schedule this to happen... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scottsl
1 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Career Guidance

Hi, I am a newbie to Unix, I was introduced to UNIX 8 months back during my Training, I was attracted to Unix as they give complete freedom. I would like to ask how can a OS Admin can go into development field of Unix. Currently I am working in a MNC in Backup- Storage Admin Domain I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sufi_431
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

A little guidance needed :)

Hi guys, I'm learning the ropes of BASH and am doing a few exercises to see if its sinking in but have gotten stuck on something I KNOW is looking at me right in the face but just isn't registering. I'm creating a script that needs to get specific strings from a line. So using the "ls -l... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadow0001
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need guidance on RHEL patch

Hi, I am new with updates in RHEL especially servers. The question is: 1. Do I need to register to RHEL in order for me to use the up2date? 2. For updates in RHEL need to use up2date, but what is the thing that I need to do before the patches? I mean what should I backup in case my patches... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: flekzout
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Career Guidance in solaris

Hi, Can someone Please Suggest me, if there are any opportunities in solaris field Apart from being Admin or Working in Support Domain. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmi Sharma
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

guidance required: feed load search & display in shell scripting

Hi All, I am fairly new to Shell Scripting, however learning fast ;-) I have been asked to do the below basic shell script :confused: There are few feed files we are recieving in the server from multiple locations spread out during the day, rite now we are checking manually each file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachaan
2 Replies

7. AIX

Need guidance on VMStat

I need some guidance on the differences in observations, not sure how significantly different are they. Also, It would be nice to hear on the values and what the obvious tuning for performance missing. Observation 1 ending vmstat -v 3948544 memory pages ending vmstat -v ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Snipper
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just need some guidance on this nawk

Hi, I am trying to debug some KSH script and it has the nawk portion below. I just want to confirm whether I understand what it does correctly. Example usage of the nawk line is run as below: nawk '/^#/ {next} $1~/^'testp.cfg'$|^'testp.cfg'\.testdb\.com\.ph$/ { c=0 while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

9. AIX

New to AIX. Need Guidance

Hi There, I am new to AIX. I am eager to learn the AIX System administration or if there is any other prerequisite before this. Please can anyone help me or guide how to start with AIX, what all courses and certifications do I need to do. I have basic knowledge of UNIX. Please guide as I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulat302
3 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding guidance to learn *NIX more and more

Hello All, This Poll/thread is for views of all forum user regarding following point: There are many people in this forum who are actually not actually working on *NIX(admin or real scripting/automation part) but they are/have learnt scripting and trying to help/guide/advice/sharing... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
11 Replies
LKSH(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   LKSH(1)

NAME
lksh -- Legacy Korn shell built on mksh SYNOPSIS
lksh [-+abCefhiklmnprUuvXx] [-+o opt] [-c string | -s | file [args ...]] DESCRIPTION
lksh is a command interpreter intended exclusively for running legacy shell scripts. It is built on mksh; refer to its manual page for details on the scripting language. It is recommended to port scripts to mksh instead of relying on legacy or idiotic POSIX-mandated behav- iour, since the MirBSD Korn Shell scripting language is much more consistent. LEGACY MODE
lksh has the following differences from mksh: o lksh is not suitable for use as /bin/sh. o There is no explicit support for interactive use, nor any command line editing or history code. Hence, lksh is not suitable as a user's login shell, either; use mksh instead. o The KSH_VERSION string identifies lksh as ``LEGACY KSH'' instead of ``MIRBSD KSH''. o lksh only offers the traditional ten file descriptors to scripts. o lksh uses POSIX arithmetics, which has quite a few implications: The data type for arithmetics is the host ISO C long data type. Signed integer wraparound is Undefined Behaviour. The sign of the result of a modulo operation with at least one negative operand is unspeci- fied. Shift operations on negative numbers are unspecified. Division of the largest negative number by -1 is Undefined Behaviour. The compiler is permitted to delete all data and crash the system if Undefined Behaviour occurs. o The rotation arithmetic operators are not available. o The shift arithmetic operators take all bits of the second operand into account; if they exceed permitted precision, the result is unspecified. o The GNU bash extension &> to redirect stdout and stderr in one go is not parsed. o The mksh command line option -T is not available. o Unless set -o posix is active, lksh always uses traditional mode for constructs like: $ set -- $(getopt ab:c "$@") $ echo $? POSIX mandates this to show 0, but traditional mode passes through the errorlevel from the getopt(1) command. o lksh, unlike AT&T UNIX ksh, does not keep file descriptors > 2 private. SEE ALSO
mksh(1) https://www.mirbsd.org/mksh.htm https://www.mirbsd.org/ksh-chan.htm CAVEATS
lksh tries to make a cross between a legacy bourne/posix compatibl-ish shell and a legacy pdksh-alike but ``legacy'' is not exactly speci- fied. The set built-in command does not have all options one would expect from a full-blown mksh or pdksh. Talk to the MirOS development team using the mailing list at <miros-mksh@mirbsd.org> or the #!/bin/mksh (or #ksh) IRC channel at irc.freenode.net (Port 6697 SSL, 6667 unencrypted) if you need any further quirks or assistance, and consider migrating your legacy scripts to work with mksh instead of requiring lksh. MirBSD May 2, 2013 MirBSD