Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count frequency of unique values in specific column Post 302885596 by owwow14 on Monday 27th of January 2014 12:40:32 PM
Old 01-27-2014
Count frequency of unique values in specific column

Hi, I have tab-deliminated data similar to the following:

Code:
dot is-big 2
dot is-round 3
dot is-gray 4
cat is-big 3
hot in-summer 5

I want to count the frequency of each individual "unique" value in the 1st column. Thus, the desired output would be as follows:

Code:
dot 3
cat 1
hot 1

is there an
Code:
awk

that could help me out with this?
Thank you!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

print unique values of a column and sum up the corresponding values in next column

Hi All, I have a file which is having 3 columns as (string string integer) a b 1 x y 2 p k 5 y y 4 ..... ..... Question: I want get the unique value of column 2 in a sorted way(on column 2) and the sum of the 3rd column of the corresponding rows. e.g the above file should return the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amigarus
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count Unique Values from a file.

Hi I have the following info in a file - <Cell id="25D"/> <Cell id="26A"/> <Cell id="26B"/> <Cell id="26C"/> <Cell id="27A"/> <Cell id="27B"/> <Cell id="27C"/> <Cell id="28A"/> I would like to know how would you go about counting all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prega
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count specific columns and merge with unique ones?

Hi. I am not sure the title gives an optimal description of what I want to do. I have several text files that contain data in many columns. All the files are organized the same way, but the data in the columns might differ. I want to count the number of times data occur in specific columns,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesT
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific column values

Hi all: quick question! I have the following data that resembles some thing like this: i am tired tired am i what is up hello people cool I want to count (or at least isolate) all of the unique elements in the 2nd column. I have tried this: cut -f 2 | uniq 'input' which does... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count Unique values from multiple lists of files

Looking for a little help here. I have 1000's of text files within a multiple folders. YYYY/ /MM /1000's Files Eg. 2014/01/1000 files 2014/02/1237 files 2014/03/1400 files There are folders for each year and each month, and within each monthly folder there are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whegra
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurrence of column one unique value having unique second column value

Hello Team, I need your help on the following: My input file a.txt is as below: 3330690|373846|108471 3330690|373846|108471 0640829|459725|100001 0640829|459725|100001 3330690|373847|108471 Here row 1 and row 2 of column 1 are identical but corresponding column 2 value are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print count of unique values

Hello experts, I am converting a number into its binary output as : read n echo "obase=2;$n" | bc I wish to count the maximum continuous occurrences of the digit 1. Example : 1. The binary equivalent of 5 = 101. Hence the output must be 1. 2. The binary... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: H squared
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Count unique column

Hello, I am trying to count unique rows in my file based on 4 columns (2-5) and to output its frequency in a sixth column. My file is tab delimited My input file looks like this: Colum1 Colum2 Colum3 Colum4 Coulmn5 1.1 100 100 a b 1.1 100 100 a c 1.2 200 205 a d 1.3 300 301 a y 1.3 300... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nans
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of unique values in each column of array

What is an efficient way of counting the number of unique values in a 400 column by 1000 row array and outputting the counts per column, assuming the unique values in the array are: A, B, C, D In other words the output should look like: Value COL1 COL2 COL3 A 50 51 52... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geneanalyst
16 Replies
IRSEND(1)							   User Commands							 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.9.0-pre1 October 2010 IRSEND(1)