Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help about comparison
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help about comparison Post 302885578 by Akshay Hegde on Monday 27th of January 2014 11:54:07 AM
Old 01-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by learnbash
Hello folks,

I have two files, which have usernames, I want to see the contents of file1.txt which is missing in file2.txt and another comparison file2.txt contents which is missing in file1.txt. please suggest.

Code:
file1.txt

user
u2
u8
a9
p9
p3
u4
z8
aaa
ahe
oktlo

Code:
file2.txt

myme
filep
u3
u4
z8

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnbash
Thanks, Is it possible while hardcoding "file2" in script we can automatically fetch by script itself?

---------- Post updated at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:39 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay Hegde View Post
Try :

Code:
$ grep -v -f <(sort file2) <(sort file1)

Following link might be useful
Two question: remove from the other variable or file to get another variable or file by Akshay Hegde - Shell Programming and Scripting - Unix Linux Forums
It is wrong, not working for me.

If you are trying on other than sample input you provided, you might get wrong result.

Code:
akshay@Aix:~/Desktop/s$ awk 'NR==FNR {a[$1];next} !($1 in a)' file2 file1 | sort
a9
aaa
ahe
oktlo
p3
p9
u2
u8
user

akshay@Aix:~/Desktop/s$ grep -v -f <(sort file2) <(sort file1)  | sort
a9
aaa
ahe
oktlo
p3
p9
u2
u8
user

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

comparison

can anyone point me to a comparison of *nix file systems ? i think i prefer a journalling fs but i would like to see a comparison between several fs's before i make up my mind (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnf
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need some help..Comparison

I need some help which would probably be for most of you a simple script. I need to read in the data from a .dat file and then compare avg to see who is the highest avg. Here is my script so far. #!/bin/ksh #reading in the data from lab3.dat filename=$1 while read name o1 o2 o3 o4 o5 o6... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluesilo
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

file comparison

hi I have 2 files to comapre ,in file a sible column it is numbers,in file b2 numbers and other values with coma separated. i want compare numbers in file a with file b,and the out put put should be in C with numbers in both file a and b along with other columns of file b. i used folowing... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish.res
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

list comparison

what is the easy way to compare checksums of sereral paramters by script: for example: #im creating a file containing a list of checksum parameters cksum /opt/LGTOaam51/data_source_types/UX_File_System/* > t1 #and another one cksum /opt/LGTOaam51/data_source_types/UX_File_System2/* > t2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: modcan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with array comparison

I have an array @name with the below contents (index 7 and 8 are names): 1|1|2|2|I|2|0|DUNN|LACY|||||| 2|2|2|2|I|2|0|KOFE|ROGER|||||| 3|3|2|2|A|2|0|KOFOED|ROBERT|||||| 3|4|2|2|A|2|0|KOFOED|ROBERT|||||| 3|5|2|2|A|2|0|KOFOED|ROBERT|||||| 2|7|2|2|I|2|0|WILLIAMSON|JAMES||||||... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Timestamp comparison

How do I compare 2 timestamps (ie... if 2008-02-13 10:48:58.502075 gt 2008-12-15 16:00:00.000000) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: auzark
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Comparison

Is there a way to compare the permission string of two files and output the string if they match? For ex: -rw-r--r-- 1 user newuser 0 2009-03-12 16:45 file2 -rw-r--r-- 1 user newuser 0 2009-03-12 16:46 fileone output: -rw-r--r-- If they don't match output will be just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: squardius
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

$((...)) and $[...] comparison

Does $((mathematical expression)) and $ mean the same? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparison

hi guys i need a program that can compare a value read from a com-port and one from the terminal. can somebody help me??? using linux kernel 2.6.14-M5 can only use standard function in sh and bash... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: metal005
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

date comparison

Hi friends, I would like to compare two dates in an IF statement. This is what I am trying, but it doesn't work. date=20120122 minus=6 if ; then ... fi what would the IF clause looks like? Thanks! :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
5 Replies