Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Adding a text in the beginning of a line Post 302885484 by Saanvi1 on Sunday 26th of January 2014 10:56:28 PM
Old 01-26-2014
Adding a text in the beginning of a line

Hi,

I am doing something like below:

Code:
cat file1>file3

and
Code:
cat file2>>file3

I wanted to check if there is a way to write a custom message(hardcoded message)something like below at the beginning of each line then PIPE delimitiation and then followed by remaining record.

Code:
cat file1 >Custom Message THIS IS FROM FILE1" then PIPE " |" then remaining records from file1 > file3

cat file2 > " Custom Message THIS IS FROM FILE2" then PIPE " |" then remaining records from file2 >> file3

So the final file "file3" has custom mesages and records from file 1 and file 2.

Thanks
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags (not font and color changes) to show sample code, sample input data, and sample output data.

Last edited by Saanvi1; 01-27-2014 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: Change BOLD tags to CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Text To each line of a file

How would I add text to the beginning of each line in a text file in a script right after the file is created from another text file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubs0729
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding text to end of each line in a file

I'm needing to add a "hour:min" to the end of each line in a document. The document in this case is only going to be one line. if this inserts it at the end, what needs to be changed to add something at the end... /bin/echo "%s/^/$filler/g\nwq!" | ex -s $oFile Thank you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubs0729
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a character in the beginning of every line in a .dat file

How can i add a character(#) in the beginning of every line in a .dat file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cool Coder
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding specific text and spaces to each line in a text file

Hi, I wanted to add specific text to each row in a text file containing three rows. Example: 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8 9 0 7 9 7 8 9 0 1 2 And I want to add a 21 at the beginning of the first row, and blank spaces at the beginning of the second two rows. To get this: 21 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding one string at the beginning of each line in a file

Hi, I have file a.txt as below. I want to add one string root beginning of each line. Sample file a.txt aaa bbb ccc Sample output Root aaa Root bbb Root ccc Can any one help me on this? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding text in final line

Dear Friends, I have a flat file where last line of it has word D$mhtt I want to add a space and back slash after it. Also wanna add -S "J" in the last line. Following example will make it clear. I have this in the last line of file D$mhtt I want D$mhtt \ -S "J" Please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding a line to a text file

I have a tab delimited text file, id name distance 1 3325167 0.334561754018 2 3290488 0.389444269458 3 3288794 0.392312701782 4 3347602 0.392532202097 5 3295355 0.394394169485 I need to add a line after the header line. The first and third field of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying to add text to beginning and end of each line

Well here goes: I tried to write a batch file that adds a specific fixed text to each line of an already existing text file. for the adding text infront of each line I tried this: for /F "delims=" %%j in (list.txt) do echo.STARTTEXT\%%j >> list.txt for adding text after each line I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
0 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Trying to add text to the beginning of each line

Well here goes: I tried to write a batch file that adds a specific fixed text to each line of an already existing text file. for the adding text infront of each line I tried this: for /F "delims=" %%j in (list.txt) do echo.STARTTEXT\%%j >> list.txt for adding text after each line I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text at the beginning of every even number line

i am trying to insert text at the beginning of every even number line with awk i can do it with odd number lines with this command awk 'NR%2{$0="some text "$0}1' filehow can i edit this command thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bob123
5 Replies
cat(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cat(1)

Name
       cat - concatenate and print data

Syntax
       cat [ -b ] [ -e ] [ -n ] [ -s ] [ -t ] [ -u ] [ -v ] file...

Description
       The  command reads each file in sequence and displays it on the standard output.  Therefore, to display the file on the standard output you
       type:
       cat file
       To concatenate two files and place the result on the third you type:
       cat file1 file2 > file3
       To concatenate two files and append them to a third you type:
       cat file1 file2 >> file3
       If no input file is given, or if a minus sign (-) is encountered as an argument, reads from the standard input file.  Output is buffered in
       1024-byte blocks unless the standard output is a terminal, in which case it is line buffered.  The utility supports the processing of 8-bit
       characters.

Options
       -b   Ignores blank lines and precedes each output line with its line number.

-e   Displays a dollar sign ($) at the end of each output line.

-n   Precedes all output lines (including blank lines) with line numbers.

-s   Squeezes adjacent blank lines from output and single spaces output.

-t   Displays non-printing characters (including tabs) in output.  In addition to those representations used with the -v  option,  all  tab
	    characters are displayed as ^I.

-u   Unbuffers output.

-v   Displays  non-printing  characters (excluding tabs and newline) as the ^x.	If the character is in the range octal 0177 to octal 0241,
	    it is displayed as M-x. The delete character (octal 0177) displays as ^?.  For example, is displayed as ^X.

See Also
       cp(1), ex(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1)

cat(1)