Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Loop for file merging in a folder Post 302885439 by sea on Sunday 26th of January 2014 09:39:31 AM
Old 01-26-2014
Which OS do you use?
As for me...
Code:
[sea@localhost ~]$ FZ="result/*/*"
[sea@localhost ~]$ echo $FZ
result/*/*

And I see no counters for your diffrent merge types (2,3,4).
Using sort after cat'ing 2 files, might mix up their lines.
Also you'll merge March with March, April with April, and so on...

But before going closer/deeper, sorry for asking, is this schoolwork?
hth

Last edited by sea; 01-26-2014 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: Asking because of: result/*/* not working on fedora linux

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse the .txt file for folder name and FTP to the corrsponding folder.

Oracle procedure create files on UNIX folder on a regular basis. I need to FTP files onto windows server and place the files, based on their name, in the corresponding folders. File name is as follows: ccyymmddfoldernamefile.txt; Folder Name length could be of any size; however, the prefix and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MeganP
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Management: How do I move all JPGS in a folder structure to a single folder?

This is the file structure: DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder1qweqwasdfsd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder2asdasdasd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder3asdadfhgasdf/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder4qwetwdfsdfg/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptaxpn
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for merging lines in a loop

Dear All, I need a script to merge lines of an input file in a loop, please guide me for the script or one liner(awk, sed, tr, shell, perl). I/P File------------------------- APaul,,,,SDH,,23,,,PPH,,2 ,,,,KKH,,19,,,MMH,,12, ,,,,CCH,,22,,,MNH,,19, ,,,,TCH,,55,,,NNH,,67,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashis.tewari
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File in a folder and loop until time

Hi All, I am stuck with this requirement. My requirement is that a job will run daily at anytime before and would look for a file named filename.txt in a folder and mv to a different folder and if not found until 9 A.M it will exit with a success code. Now I did the follwing ..but there... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging folder of files according to name and contents.

I have absolutely no idea how to do this and everything I have done doesn't even come close. Here's the scenario: There are a number of files in a folder named in this manner: agd.txt stv.txt frk.txt dqp.txt There is also a series of other files in the same folder with like file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trapper
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through text file > Copy Folder > Edit XML files in bulk?

I have a text file which contains lines in this format - it contains 105 lines in total, but I'm just putting 4 here to keep it short: 58571,east_ppl_ppla_por 58788,east_pcy_hd_por 58704,east_pcy_ga_por 58697,east_pcy_pcybs_por It's called id_key.txt I have a sample folder called... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: biscuitcreek
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File merging based on different counter loop

hello, File 1 main Group sub group MIT VAR_1D_DATA_TYPE 23-03-2012 MIT VAR_1D_DATA_TYPE 22-03-2012 MIT VAR_10D_DATA_TYPE 23-03-2012 MIT VAR_10D_DATA_TYPE 22-03-2012 MIT ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop to read folder which are not under processing

Hi, I want to read folders which do not have a file "processing" in a for loop ordered by timestamp. Currently im doing like this. Like cd /home/working for i in `ls -c1` do some command... done I want to exclude folders which have that "processing" file. The directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop for number of files in a folder

Hi All, Need a for loop which should run for number of files in a folder and should pass the file name as parameter to another shell script for each loop. Please help me. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chillblue
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two columns from two files with similar names into a loop

I have two files like this: fileA.net A B C fileA.dat 1 2 3 and I want the output output_expected A 1 B 2 C 3 I know that the easier way is to do a paste fileA.net fileA.dat, but the problem is that I have 10,000 couple of files (fileB.net with fileB.dat; fileC.net with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
3 Replies
GIT-MERGE-INDEX(1)						    Git Manual							GIT-MERGE-INDEX(1)

NAME
git-merge-index - Run a merge for files needing merging SYNOPSIS
git merge-index [-o] [-q] <merge-program> (-a | [--] <file>*) DESCRIPTION
This looks up the <file>(s) in the index and, if there are any merge entries, passes the SHA-1 hash for those files as arguments 1, 2, 3 (empty argument if no file), and <file> as argument 4. File modes for the three files are passed as arguments 5, 6 and 7. OPTIONS
-- Do not interpret any more arguments as options. -a Run merge against all files in the index that need merging. -o Instead of stopping at the first failed merge, do all of them in one shot - continue with merging even when previous merges returned errors, and only return the error code after all the merges. -q Do not complain about a failed merge program (a merge program failure usually indicates conflicts during the merge). This is for porcelains which might want to emit custom messages. If git merge-index is called with multiple <file>s (or -a) then it processes them in turn only stopping if merge returns a non-zero exit code. Typically this is run with a script calling Git's imitation of the merge command from the RCS package. A sample script called git merge-one-file is included in the distribution. ALERT ALERT ALERT! The Git "merge object order" is different from the RCS merge program merge object order. In the above ordering, the original is first. But the argument order to the 3-way merge program merge is to have the original in the middle. Don't ask me why. Examples: torvalds@ppc970:~/merge-test> git merge-index cat MM This is MM from the original tree. # original This is modified MM in the branch A. # merge1 This is modified MM in the branch B. # merge2 This is modified MM in the branch B. # current contents or torvalds@ppc970:~/merge-test> git merge-index cat AA MM cat: : No such file or directory This is added AA in the branch A. This is added AA in the branch B. This is added AA in the branch B. fatal: merge program failed where the latter example shows how git merge-index will stop trying to merge once anything has returned an error (i.e., cat returned an error for the AA file, because it didn't exist in the original, and thus git merge-index didn't even try to merge the MM thing). GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-MERGE-INDEX(1)