Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Function problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Function problem Post 302885391 by cfajohnson on Saturday 25th of January 2014 06:33:23 PM
Old 01-25-2014

If you want to get a value from the command line, use the positional parameters, $1, etc., not 'read'.

Code:
case $1 in 
    1|memory)  echo " you've selected check memory..1 sec pls "
               echo -e " free memory: " ; free -m;;
    2|space)  echo " you've selected check free space..1 sec pls "
              echo -e " free space: " ; df -h;;
    3|ipinfo)  echo " you've selected ip info . 1 sec pls "
               echo -e  " ipinfo: " ; ifconfig;;
    4|user)  echo " you've selected user info..1 sec pls "
             echo -e " benutzer: " ; whoami;;
     5|exit)  exit
esac

This User Gave Thanks to cfajohnson For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Problem with aio_write() function

Hello, How to execute a call back function after aio_write() or aio_read() in Sun Solaris 5.7? I have filled the control block struct aiocb as follows: aio_sigevent.sigev_signo = SIGEV aio_sigevent.sigev_notify = SIGEV_THREAD Then I have filled the call back function in ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmurali
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL function problem

I have perl script as follow. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ #! /usr/bin/env perl use strict; sub printLines { print "Inside the function.............\n"; my (@file , $count , $key ) = $_; print $count , $ key ; #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avadhani
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Recursive function

Hi all, I have to move all the files in a tree directory structure to a single directory. Inorder to know which file is from which directory , i'll have to add the name of the directory to the file name. For this i wrote a recursive function which is as follows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malle
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function Problem and CoreDump

Hi, i have a question: i build this function: function WriteLog { .... ... print $* print $* >> FileLog .... .... } the function are called with this sintax: ..... ..... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with function script.

Need an extra set of eyes. Can't find function. Can someone help, please. Thanks echo " Is this the correct list of tapes to eject (y/n)?" read option echo $option case $option in y|Y) TAPE_ROUTINE;; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gzs553
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem, with if condition in function

Hi All, I have a function which reads parameter and gets the value from config file. The entry in the file can be either of two Name=value or Name=value so if the variant is not present it should return me the generic value ie Name without variant. I am first searching for variant in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurukottur
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail function problem

Hello all, I'm attempting to sent an e-mail with the following funtion in my script. The tested that the logic is correct with another native os command, but I can't seem to get mail to work. I played with the "", just can't seem to get it right. Any ideas? Thanks. $my_mail = `mail... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwholey
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling Function Problem

Hi, I had a scripts which calls two function. One function will call another function, script is working fine but the second function is not calling the first function. Below is the script #!/usr/bin/ksh fun1() { echo $DATETIME >> Test1.ksh return 0 } fun2() { typeset DATETIME=`date... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: somu_june
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using function in awk

I created two functions that output two random variables. I want to output them in the output file. But it does not seem to work. # Function rgaussian1(r1, r2) # Gaussian random number generator function rgaussian1(r1, r2) { pi = 3.142 v1 = sqrt( -2 * log(rand()) ) v2... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash function problem

I am trying to figure out why I am having a "problem" with some functions in a bash script I am running. The reason for air quoting is that the functions are working, they are just not displaying anything to screen when called from another function. Here's an example: function Create_Input {... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dagamier
6 Replies
ECHO(3) 								 1								   ECHO(3)

echo - Output one or more strings

SYNOPSIS
void echo (string $arg1, [string $...]) DESCRIPTION
Outputs all parameters. echo is not actually a function (it is a language construct), so you are not required to use parentheses with it. echo (unlike some other language constructs) does not behave like a function, so it cannot always be used in the context of a function. Additionally, if you want to pass more than one parameter to echo, the parameters must not be enclosed within parentheses. echo also has a shortcut syntax, where you can immediately follow the opening tag with an equals sign. Prior to PHP 5.4.0, this short syn- tax only works with the short_open_tag configuration setting enabled. I have <?=$foo?> foo. PARAMETERS
o $arg1 - The parameter to output. o $... - RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 echo examples <?php echo "Hello World"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well."; echo "Escaping characters is done "Like this"."; // You can use variables inside of an echo statement $foo = "foobar"; $bar = "barbaz"; echo "foo is $foo"; // foo is foobar // You can also use arrays $baz = array("value" => "foo"); echo "this is {$baz['value']} !"; // this is foo ! // Using single quotes will print the variable name, not the value echo 'foo is $foo'; // foo is $foo // If you are not using any other characters, you can just echo variables echo $foo; // foobar echo $foo,$bar; // foobarbarbaz // Some people prefer passing multiple parameters to echo over concatenation. echo 'This ', 'string ', 'was ', 'made ', 'with multiple parameters.', chr(10); echo 'This ' . 'string ' . 'was ' . 'made ' . 'with concatenation.' . " "; echo <<<END This uses the "here document" syntax to output multiple lines with $variable interpolation. Note that the here document terminator must appear on a line with just a semicolon. no extra whitespace! END; // Because echo does not behave like a function, the following code is invalid. ($some_var) ? echo 'true' : echo 'false'; // However, the following examples will work: ($some_var) ? print 'true' : print 'false'; // print is also a construct, but // it behaves like a function, so // it may be used in this context. echo $some_var ? 'true': 'false'; // changing the statement around ?> NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. SEE ALSO
print(3), printf(3), flush(3), Heredoc syntax. PHP Documentation Group ECHO(3)