Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to add line numbers (multiples of 5: 0,5,10,15,20) to a text file? Post 302885246 by alister on Friday 24th of January 2014 10:00:10 AM
Old 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
Code:
awk '$0=(NR-1)*5" " $0' file

Shedding a few more characters:
Code:
awk '$0=i++*5" "$0' file

There's a way to reduce it by at least one more character. Does anyone see it?

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add text to file at a certain line

I am trying to add a line of text just before the last line in a file. For example, if the last line of a file is "exit 0", I need to add a line of text just before that. Any ideas how I might do that? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheCrunge
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to add a comment line in a text file

Hi I need to add a comment line at the begining of a text file. The scenario is given below. 1. The number of servers that needs to be updated is around 80 2. The location of the text file in all the servers are the same including the file name. 3. The comment has to be added at the very... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orakhan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to print out line numbers of a text file?

i have this text file name test.txt which contain : aaaaa bbb iiiiiiiiiiiii ccf ddaaa ddd and i need a script that can print out the line numbers using a while loop.. so when the script is run..it will have this: 1 2 3 any ideas? :) thanks guys (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find 2 line numbers, grab text in between

hi, i have a large text file that I just want to extract the important information from. It will be a random number of lines but between two specific line numbers/markers. I was thinking I could get the line number for the first marker: Tablespace Percent Total Free Then get the line... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Da_Duck
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add line numbers in text file

Hi all How to add line numbers in text file.. ex abcd cdef result 1. abcd 2. cdef thx in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add one text line in the head of the file

hello, how can I add one text line string at the line number one of a file. thankx, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ahmed waheed
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add ; to every line in text file

Please help to add ; to every line in a text file i Have tired sed 's/$/ ; /g' > /tmp/drop_tables.sql but not working :( Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluebird5m
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed add after line x new text from file

I've been playing with sed, trying to get it to insert the contents of somefile.txt after line 13 on anotherfile.txt. I tried searching for a line with regex and attempting to insert something on the next line with: find ./anotherfile.txt -type f -exec sed -i -e '/^dog/cat/' {} \; but it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add text into the last line of text file

I need help with insert text to the last line of text file with echo command I know can do something like echo "i4\n$logtext\n.\nwq" | ex -s $file can insert to first line, but how can i change this code in order to insert to the last line of text file? please help, thank you :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavin_L
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines from a text file based on another text file with line numbers

Hi, I am trying to extract lines from a text file given a text file containing line numbers to be extracted from the first file. How do I go about doing this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies
NL(1)								   User Commands							     NL(1)

NAME
nl - number lines of files SYNOPSIS
nl [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Write each FILE to standard output, with line numbers added. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --body-numbering=STYLE use STYLE for numbering body lines -d, --section-delimiter=CC use CC for separating logical pages -f, --footer-numbering=STYLE use STYLE for numbering footer lines -h, --header-numbering=STYLE use STYLE for numbering header lines -i, --line-increment=NUMBER line number increment at each line -l, --join-blank-lines=NUMBER group of NUMBER empty lines counted as one -n, --number-format=FORMAT insert line numbers according to FORMAT -p, --no-renumber do not reset line numbers at logical pages -s, --number-separator=STRING add STRING after (possible) line number -v, --starting-line-number=NUMBER first line number on each logical page -w, --number-width=NUMBER use NUMBER columns for line numbers --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit By default, selects -v1 -i1 -l1 -sTAB -w6 -nrn -hn -bt -fn. CC are two delimiter characters for separating logical pages, a missing second character implies :. Type \ for . STYLE is one of: a number all lines t number only nonempty lines n number no lines pBRE number only lines that contain a match for the basic regular expression, BRE FORMAT is one of: ln left justified, no leading zeros rn right justified, no leading zeros rz right justified, leading zeros GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report nl translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> AUTHOR
Written by Scott Bartram and David MacKenzie. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for nl is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and nl programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info coreutils 'nl invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 NL(1)