Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Calling sqlplus from Korn shell heredoc issue Post 302884617 by Navin_Ramdhami on Tuesday 21st of January 2014 06:15:59 AM
Old 01-21-2014
Calling sqlplus from Korn shell heredoc issue

Hi,
I am facing an issue wherein some temporary files (here docs) are getting created in /tmp and are not getting deleted automatically.
When i check the list of open files with below command i can see one file is getting appended continuously.(In this case /tmp/sfe7h.34p)
The output is something like below:
Code:
bash-3.2$ /usr/sbin/lsof | grep '/tmp' | grep '(deleted)'
sh_test 13107     test    0u      REG    8,3      224   1782884 /tmp/sfe7h.34p (deleted)
sh_test 13107     test    1u      REG    8,3        0   1782887 /tmp/sffak.tri (deleted)

Due to this the /tmp mount point is getting full causing trouble to application.
Following is the pseudo script which runs continuously monitoring status of application and then performs some tasks.
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
get_app_status(){
result=`sqlplus -s user/password@servicename <<EOF
whenever sqlerror exit sql.sqlcode
set escape off
set head off
set verify off
set feedback off
select param_value from status where param_name='app_status'
EOF
`
echo $result
}

while [ `get_app_status` = 'Started' ]; do
#Some logic here
done

The issue won't occur if we remove the first line shell interpreter(#!/bin/ksh) or we call the get_app_status once or twice and not in loop.
Korn shell version is:
version sh (AT&T Research) 93s+ 2008-01-31
Any help in understanding the cause is deeply Appreciated.

Thanks,
Navin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling sqlplus from shell

Hi All, I am executing the following code :- sqlplus -s ${DATABASE_USER} |& print -p -- 'set feed off pause off pages 0 head off veri off line 500' print -p -- 'set term off time off serveroutput on size 1000000' print -p -- "set sqlprompt ''" print -p -- "SELECT run_command from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suds19
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple if/then issue in korn shell

When I run this, it tests to Y, but why? If I take the double quotes off of test, i get the same. # !/bin/ksh TEST="N" if ; then echo $TEST" yes" else echo "no" fi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

production issue - shell sqlplus processing sometime success sometime fail

Hi Expert, Below is a real production environment issue: we are using shell script to FTP to a remote server and fetch around 150 files every day, for each file we need to keep a entry inside ORACLE DB table, before insert into table, each file has a associated logid, which need to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: summer_cherry
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

calling a unix shell script from sqlplus

I want to execute a shell script from sqlplus prompt and get its output back to sqlplus. Is this possible? if yes just give me an example for doing that. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boopathyvasagam
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Calling PERL from a Korn shell script

I am currently in Afghanistan and do not have access to some of the resources I normally do back in the US. Just accessed this site and it looks promising! Hopefully you will not find my question too much of a waste of your time. I write mostly Korn Shell and PERL on Solaris systems for the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mseanowen
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

korn shell for loops with expect issue

Hi I have the following Korn script having multiple for loops. #!/bin/ksh EXPECT=/usr/local/bin/expect exp_internal for d in 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 i22 23 24 25 26; do for i in 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 ; do for h in 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cic
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multithreading - Calling user function with xargs in korn shell

I know there are other ways of accomplishing the below task, but the purpose of this thread is to understand the below code. I wanted to use xargs with user defined function in korn shell. Am aware, that I could write custom function into a script and place it in FPATH and then call it in xargs,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: luhah
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Issue with using for loop as for in {2..6} in korn shell

Hi i have to cut columns 2 to 6 from a file and assign it to arrays , The following code works for ctcol in 2 3 4 5 6; do set -A a$ctcol $(cut -d, -f $ctcol test_file) done how ever this does not work for ctcol in {2..6}; do set -A a$ctcol $(cut -d, -f $ctcol test_file)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control not returning from Sqlplus to calling UNIX shell script.

Hello All, I have a UNIX script which will prepare anonymous oracle pl/sql block in a temporary file in run time and passes this file to sqlplus as given below. cat > $v_Input_File 2>>$v_Log << EOF BEGIN EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'ALTER SESSION FORCE PARALLEL DML PARALLEL 16'; EXECUTE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikas_trl
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control not returning from Sqlplus to calling UNIX shell script.

Hello All, I have exactly same issue @vikas_trl had in following link: https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/259854-control-not-returning-sqlplus-calling-unix-shell-script.html I wonder if he or somebody else could find the issue's cause or the solution. Any help would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RicardoQ
4 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_MOVEFILES(1)