Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unclear pointer and array
Top Forums Programming Unclear pointer and array Post 302884472 by yifangt on Monday 20th of January 2014 12:56:45 PM
Old 01-20-2014
Thanks Corona!
Your way is clearer and easier to understand. I have to admit that some programmer like to use tricks so that I had hard time to understand. However their code is very concise with lots information hiding behind. I was warned better not do that way, but actually I admire them very much as I think you can do that only you have really good catch of the idea.

About the warnings I panic at, here is an example that I had thought my code is fine while I tried another program to do the calculation of pointer positions.
Quote:
warning: format ‘%c’ expects type ‘int’, but argument 2 has type ‘char *’ [-Wformat]
warning: format ‘%c’ expects type ‘int’, but argument 2 has type ‘size_t *’ [-Wformat] etc.
Here is my code:
Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>

// Try the calculation of char pointers cf. array subscription
// I did not figure out the char pointer can be implicitly converted to integer number
//

int main()
{
    char str[] = "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog!";
    char *line;
    char *p, *q, *l, *m;

line = (char *) malloc(sizeof(str));    //Line 15 allocate memory 

strcpy(line, str);            //Line 17 copy char array to char pointer 

p = strstr(line, "fox");    // Find the position of "fox" in line
    q = strstr(line, "dog");    // Find the position of "dog" in line

l = strstr(line, "quick");    // Find the position of "quick" in line
    m = strstr(line, "lazy");   // Find the position of "lazy" in line

printf("Postion subtraction q(%p) - p(%p) = %d\n", p, q, q - p);        //Line 25
    printf("Postion subtraction m(%p) - l(%p) = %d\n", m, l, m - l);        //Line 26

printf("Char value subtractn: o(%c) - q(%c) = %d\n", str[12], str[4], str[12] - str[4]);
    printf("Char Value subtractn: q(%c) - e(%c) = %d\n", str[4], str[2], str[4] - str[2]);
    printf("Position subtraction: &q - &e = %d\n", &str[4] - &str[2]);        //Line 30

return 0;
}

and the warnings are:
Code:
$ gcc -Wall ptr_substraction001b.c
ptr_substraction001b.c: In function ‘main’:
ptr_substraction001b.c:25:5: warning: format ‘%d’ expects argument of type ‘int’, but argument 4 has type ‘long int’ [-Wformat]
ptr_substraction001b.c:26:5: warning: format ‘%d’ expects argument of type ‘int’, but argument 4 has type ‘long int’ [-Wformat]
ptr_substraction001b.c:30:5: warning: format ‘%d’ expects argument of type ‘int’, but argument 2 has type ‘long int’ [-Wformat]

$ ./a.out
Postion subtraction q(0x987020) - p(0x987038) = 24
Postion subtraction m(0x987033) - l(0x987014) = 31
Char value subtractn: o(o) - q(q) = -2
Char Value subtractn: q(q) - e(e) = 12
Position subtraction: &q - &e = 2

And I changed to %ld according to the warnings, the warnings went away. Now, the point is I must have missed something before I saw the warnings. Why should I use %ld, or, why the pointer address subtraction should be long int? Thanks a lot!

Last edited by yifangt; 01-20-2014 at 02:02 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

pointer

void main() { int a={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}; int *p=a; int *q=&a; cout<<q-p+1<<endl; } The output is 10, how? if we give cout<<q it will print the address, value won't print.... if we give cout<<p it will print the address, value won't print.... p has the base addr; q... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing pointer array in C

All .. I am having a pointer array . And trying to store the addess into that pointer array . please see below the problem i faced code: int cnt1; char *t_array; char *f_array; for(cnt1=0; cnt1<1000; cnt1++) { t_array =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

3. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

4. Programming

C pointer/array duality confusion

Hi all, Can anyone provide help with getting the right syntax regarding array/pointers in C in the following code? Can't locate a specific example which clarifies this... Say I declare a typedef to an array of pointers to some type... /** * An array of ptrs to sections */ typedef... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gorga
4 Replies

5. Programming

help with char pointer array in C

i have an array like #define NUM 8 .... new_socket_fd = accept(socket_fd, (struct sockaddr *) &cli_addr, &client_length); char *items = {"one", "two", "three", "four", "five", "six", "seven", "eight"}; char *item_name_length = {"3", "3", "5", "4", "4", "3", "5", "5"}; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

6. Programming

structure pointer array as function parameters

if i create an array of pointers to a structure "struct node" as: struct node *r; and create "n" number of "linked lists" and assign it to the various struct pointers r using some function with a return type as structure pointer as: r=multiplty(.......) /*some parameters*/ is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mscoder
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

best practises for scripting + a few unclear points

Hi guys, Besides the points bellow, what would best practices for scripting be ? 1) set the PATH 2) unset the current environment (set -u ?) 3) (re)set the IFS to default value - space (IFS="" <- is this correct ?) 4) check the return code for each action inside the script (cd, rsync,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: da1
1 Replies

8. Programming

Character pointer to Character array

how to copy content of character pointer to character array in c programming.. char *num; char name=num; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zinat
1 Replies

9. Programming

Pointer for 2D array seems to be 3D in C

I am struggling with the pointer to 2D-array (cf: 2D array of pointers). Can anybody help me elaborate how the pointer x moves in the memory to access the individual of y, especially the high lighted lines? I have talked to one of the curators of the forum, but I am still not quite clear. Here... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yifangt
1 Replies