Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] How to clear "history" command entries?? Post 302884399 by Scott on Monday 20th of January 2014 07:52:10 AM
Old 01-20-2014
Yes, if HISTTIMEFORMAT is set.

If it's not set, you can set it to the desired format. Previous history entries might not have the proper dates, though.

Code:
HISTTIMEFORMAT="%Y.%m.%d %T "

You can then grep on the output of history.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"@" will clear the current line in terminal

I just found that the current command line will be cleared when trying to input the "@" sign to the terminal. I checked current alias, but found nothing. Would you please provide some suggestion about it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sleepy_11
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the ksh equivalent to bash's "history -c" command?

Hi, What is the korn shell equivalent of bash shell's "history -c" command? I do know, how to clear the history list in ksh, I can do the following: > ~/.sh_historybut still, I am interested to know the single one line command as 'history -c' gives error on my ksh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "look" Command "File too large" Error Message

I am trying to find lines in a text file larger than 3 Gb that start with a given string. My command looks like this: $ look "string" "/home/patrick/filename.txt" However, this gives me the following message: "look: /home/patrick/filename.txt: File too large" So, I have two... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishong
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Problem With "xhost +" command-FreeBSD

Does anyone no why "xhost +" would not be working in freebsd? Could it be to do with a certain xorg package not being installed etc.. I am getting error "xhost: command not found" Thanks Anyone (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to get the "history" command to show all that is in the .bash_history file?

I am using the bash shell. When I view my recent command history using the "history" command from the prompt, it only shows me the commands starting at #928. The commands I need are earlier than that, but I can't figure out how to make the other 927 display. They are in my .bash_history... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
1 Replies
history(n)					       Provides a history for Entry widgets						history(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
history - Provides a history for Entry widgets SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require Tk 8.4 package require history ?0.1? ::history::init pathName ?length? ::history::remove pathName ::history::add pathName text ::history::get pathName ::history::clear pathName ::history::configure pathName option ?value? bell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a convenient history mechanism for Entry widgets. The history may be accessed with the up and down arrow keys. ::history::init pathName ?length? Arranges to remember the history of the named Entry widget. An optional length determines the number of history entries to keep. This may be changed later with ::history::configure. History entries must be added with the ::history::add command before they can be seen. ::history::remove pathName Forgets all history entries for the Entry pathName and removes the history bindings. ::history::add pathName text This command is used to add history entries to an Entry that has previously had ::history::init called on it. This command should be called from your Entry handler with the contents of the entry (or whatever you wish to add to the history). ::history::get pathName This command returns a list containing the history entries for the Entry pathName ::history::clear pathName This command clears the history list for the named Entry. ::history::configure pathName option ?value? This command queries or sets configuration options. Currently the options recognized are length and alert. Setting the length deter- mines the number of history entries to keep for the named Entry. Alert specifies the command to run when the user reaches the end of the history, it defaults to bell entry .e bind .e <Return> [list ProcessEntry %W] ::history::init .e pack .e proc ProcessEntry {w} { set text [$w get] if {$text == ""} { return } ::history::add $w $text puts $text $w delete 0 end } KEYWORDS
entry, history history 0.1 history(n)