Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unclear pointer and array
Top Forums Programming Unclear pointer and array Post 302884190 by yifangt on Saturday 18th of January 2014 08:32:17 AM
Old 01-18-2014
Thanks.
Does your code waste some memory for a if you have
Code:
#define IOBufLen        100

for the print out line:
Code:
printf("substring = \"%s\"\n", substring(start, end, text, a, IOBufLen));

as a is only the substring of text? In another way,
Code:
strncpy(text, argv[1], IOBufLen - 1); // -1 to be sure text is null terminated.

does this line always allocate 100 bytes to text even text is only 10 char long?
I am concerned if to process 100 millions of lines (my sequences).

Last edited by yifangt; 01-18-2014 at 09:50 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

pointer

void main() { int a={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}; int *p=a; int *q=&a; cout<<q-p+1<<endl; } The output is 10, how? if we give cout<<q it will print the address, value won't print.... if we give cout<<p it will print the address, value won't print.... p has the base addr; q... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing pointer array in C

All .. I am having a pointer array . And trying to store the addess into that pointer array . please see below the problem i faced code: int cnt1; char *t_array; char *f_array; for(cnt1=0; cnt1<1000; cnt1++) { t_array =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

3. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

4. Programming

C pointer/array duality confusion

Hi all, Can anyone provide help with getting the right syntax regarding array/pointers in C in the following code? Can't locate a specific example which clarifies this... Say I declare a typedef to an array of pointers to some type... /** * An array of ptrs to sections */ typedef... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gorga
4 Replies

5. Programming

help with char pointer array in C

i have an array like #define NUM 8 .... new_socket_fd = accept(socket_fd, (struct sockaddr *) &cli_addr, &client_length); char *items = {"one", "two", "three", "four", "five", "six", "seven", "eight"}; char *item_name_length = {"3", "3", "5", "4", "4", "3", "5", "5"}; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

6. Programming

structure pointer array as function parameters

if i create an array of pointers to a structure "struct node" as: struct node *r; and create "n" number of "linked lists" and assign it to the various struct pointers r using some function with a return type as structure pointer as: r=multiplty(.......) /*some parameters*/ is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mscoder
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

best practises for scripting + a few unclear points

Hi guys, Besides the points bellow, what would best practices for scripting be ? 1) set the PATH 2) unset the current environment (set -u ?) 3) (re)set the IFS to default value - space (IFS="" <- is this correct ?) 4) check the return code for each action inside the script (cd, rsync,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: da1
1 Replies

8. Programming

Character pointer to Character array

how to copy content of character pointer to character array in c programming.. char *num; char name=num; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zinat
1 Replies

9. Programming

Pointer for 2D array seems to be 3D in C

I am struggling with the pointer to 2D-array (cf: 2D array of pointers). Can anybody help me elaborate how the pointer x moves in the memory to access the individual of y, especially the high lighted lines? I have talked to one of the curators of the forum, but I am still not quite clear. Here... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yifangt
1 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)