Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: GRUB Queries ?!
Operating Systems Linux Debian GRUB Queries ?! Post 302884127 by sreyan32 on Friday 17th of January 2014 02:38:22 PM
Old 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
GRUB is often packaged by distributions to make it easier to install and upgrade.

GRUB's very reason to exist is because it uses configuration files instead of finicky bits hardcoded inside the MBR or some other hard-to-access disk location. That's quite a feat for a mere bootloader -- reading files generally needs the OSes help. That's what makes GRUB so big and complicated (for a bootloader, anyway). That's also what makes grub so flexible.

Other bootloaders like lilo cannot actually access files before anything boots. It must cache its configuration in the MBR or some other difficult-to-read place before before it will take effect.

GRUB usually uses Windows' bootloader to load Windows. It doesn't have to overwrite it due to the way Windows stores it. A simple 'chainloader' command tells grub to load the MBR from the Windows partition and it can handle itself from there.
Sir, you didn't tell me why various distributions are provided for various OSes. Like Debian has its own version of GRUB which is different from Fedora. If GRUB can boot all Linux why cant there be only one single universal GRUB for all Linux ?

Also why does GRUB need to read the configuration files of Linux ? It doesn't do so with Windows so why can't it do the same for Linux ?

Also what is the difference between the GRUB offered at-:
GNU GRUB - Obtaining GRUB
and the GRUB that comes with every Linux distribution ?

---------- Post updated at 01:08 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:03 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicksd8
I'm not the Grub expert that you are looking for but maybe I'll say a few things that might help. My forte is Solaris, SCO and Linux (but not boot loaders).

However, I have had to deal with a number of boot failures under Linux and Linux Appliances (eg, RSA boxes) so I know that Grub errors and corruptions can be fixed ("re-installed" boot loader).

Here's a link:

301 Moved Permanently

Also there's a project on the internet called Super Grub Disk (with a later version called Super Grub2 Disk) which provides all kinds of tools for Grub. I never go into battle against Grub without their bootable CD in my toolkit.

Also, Super Grub Disk To The Rescue! - What's a GRUB? - Tutorials - LinuxPlanet

Hope that helps and I hope that you get other responses.
Sir, I know that SuperGRUB can repair GRUB but can it install GRUB on a system without a Linux bootloader ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Some queries...

Guys need some advice on how to check some of the questions below? i'm running on an open VMS platform... which i am an idiot to... appreciate if anyone can give some hints or source on how to check on.. a script that is running on cron job... but doesn't run as the login user name.. 1. why... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 12yearold
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grub problem- keeps rebooting as soon as it tries to do grub

Hi, I installed solaris 10 a few weeks ago. It was working fine during the past two weeks. However, now when I start to load to the drive, I get this problem: The BIOS screen comes up like normal, then screen goes blank and a message "Grub loading stage 2" flashes real quick then the computer... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moesays
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

my queries

hi guys Well, i need to have a report generation script or any script which will show me all the content/information of a file when i run that script. Please help me on this isssue at the earliest.As i am little bit aware of scripting.Thanks in advance! regards ash (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whizkidash
4 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Queries

Any help on like where to get started on this? I'm just confused. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Enter text here.Queries to satisfy these two report requests (use your CCI database): Retrieve all rows of active inventory where current on hands is less than... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakers34kb
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Can we specify which grub.conf to use in grub-install.

Hi, Can we specify which grub.conf to use while installing grub on RHEL. We are working on application which requires different grub configurations needed, depending on certain criteria we need to update grub with correct grub.conf. Can we use grub-install for this purpose? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: successlin
4 Replies

6. Programming

Combine 3 queries

can these 3 be combined into 1 query? createtablea1as selecta.tps_Res_nb, b.tkt_prod_cd, b.tkt_prod_typ_nm, b.prod_intrnl_ds, b.tkt_prod_typ_nm AS TKT_ENTL_NM, casewhen b.tkt_prod_nm isnotnullthen b.tkt_prod_nm when b.tkt_prod_nm isnulland b.prod_intrnl_ds isnotnullthen... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dwr80
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How many DNS queries

Is there any way to see how many queries come into our external DNS server? In looking at DNS providers, most of them base pricing on number of queries per month so I just wanted to see if you had any idea/way of gathering that data? A rough ballpark figure would even work. Our DNS server is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raggmopp
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"/boot/grub/grub.conf" VS "/etc/grub.conf"

can someone please explain me the difference between these two files: "/boot/grub/grub.conf" and "/etc/grub.conf" .. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunn3r
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab queries

Hi Expert, How to schedule a job on last day of the month. Need your kind help. Regards, PK (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkrabi78
3 Replies
GRUB-INSTALL(8) 							FSF							   GRUB-INSTALL(8)

NAME
grub-install - install GRUB on your drive SYNOPSIS
grub-install [OPTION] install_device DESCRIPTION
Install GRUB on your drive. -h, --help print this message and exit -v, --version print the version information and exit --root-directory=DIR install GRUB images under the directory DIR instead of the root directory --grub-shell=FILE use FILE as the grub shell --no-floppy do not probe any floppy drive --force-lba force GRUB to use LBA mode even for a buggy BIOS --recheck probe a device map even if it already exists INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename. grub-install copies GRUB images into the DIR/boot directory specfied by --root-directory, and uses the grub shell to install grub into the boot sector. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
grub(8), update-grub(8). The full documentation for grub-install is maintained as a Texinfo manual in the grub-legacy-doc package. If the info and grub-install programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-install should give you access to the complete manual. grub-install (GNU GRUB 0.97) January 2013 GRUB-INSTALL(8)