Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Autofs issue
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Autofs issue Post 302884124 by MadeInGermany on Friday 17th of January 2014 02:26:41 PM
Old 01-17-2014
Each file system on the server needs an NFS export (share), and an NFS mount on the client side.
Having them in one tree is called a hierarchical mount.
If your client has /net (the default name for a -hosts map), it should support the hierarchical mounts:
Code:
cd /net/remotehost/dbname/...

Then you only need to update your server's /etc/exports with your 7 file systems.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RedHat autofs

hello all, I have a problem that just seem to show up. I was using autofs to mount home directory. It was working for about two week and now is just tsop working. I rebooted the erver and still not working. I can manually mount the directory but unable to mount via autofs. From the client I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: larryase
0 Replies

2. AIX

Autofs

Hi Guys, Autofs works fine on AIX 5.2, but the same thing is not getting mounted automatically on AIX 5.3.. Is there ant difference for autofs confiiguration between 5.2 and 5.3 Thanks & Regards Manu (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: b_manu78
0 Replies

3. Solaris

autofs

hi tell me difference between direct automount and indirect automount. thanks you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sijocg
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

autofs error

Hi Friends, I am trying to configure autofs on rhel5.3 64bit to automount the nfs shares. It was working fine when i configured it first. After some days i can see its not working. i can see the below sepcified error on the log file. automount: rmdir_path: lstat of /NFS/test failed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arumon
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Autofs

what are all the advantages of direct map and indirect map in 'AUTOFS' and which one is better for our usage (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinu
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Automount through Autofs

I am trying to automount one of my NFS share to my client machine but it is not mounting here is the scenario : My server machine ip : 192.168.1.100 My client machine ip is : 192.168.1.102 on client machine i have configured the /etc/auto.master file : /share(My mount point) ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaibhav.T
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NFS issue with autofs in CentOS 6.3

I am running CentOS 6.3 as a VM on a host which has the same installation. I configured my NFS server and I am guessing it works. I say guessing because I can mount the desired folder with mount command on my client machine. So, when I run: mount -t nfs -o vers=3 vm2.domain.com:/nethome /nethit... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashily
7 Replies

8. HP-UX

AUTOFS/NIS permission issue

This is unfortunately for a Tru64 5.1 PK4 system. I have Autofs running and it seems to read and mount the NIS maps, however, on a couple of maps, eventhough is says (rw), the user home directory of /home is (ro). See cut and paste Below. This prevents the automounting of Users home... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Autofs not mount

Hi all, Please help! After my solaris 10 is rebooted, I found my autofs seems not mounting the file systems. I restart autofs service : #svcadm -v restart svc:/system/filesystem/autofs:default Action restart set for svc:/system/filesystem/autofs:default. But still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Zaiwen Gong
1 Replies

10. Fedora

Autofs problem

Hi all, I'm having trouble getting autofs working on a new install of Scientific Linux 7.2. I have the files /etc/auto.master, /etc/auto/homes and /etc/auto.misc and /auto.direct setup, and they are copies of files on a working SL 6 machine. I can include the contents of the files at the end... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: HuntWilliamR
0 Replies
rpc.mountd(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     rpc.mountd(8)

NAME
rpc.mountd - NFS mount daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/rpc.mountd [options] DESCRIPTION
The rpc.mountd program implements the NFS mount protocol. When receiving a MOUNT request from an NFS client, it checks the request against the list of currently exported file systems. If the client is permitted to mount the file system, rpc.mountd obtains a file handle for requested directory and returns it to the client. Exporting NFS File Systems Making file systems available to NFS clients is called exporting. Usually, a file system and the hosts it should be made available to are listed in the /etc/exports file, and invoking exportfs -a whenever the system is booted. The exportfs(8) command makes export information available to both the kernel NFS server module and the rpc.mountd daemon. Alternatively, you can export individual directories temporarily using exportfs's host:/directory syntax. The rmtab File For every mount request received from an NFS client, rpc.mountd adds an entry to the /var/lib/nfs/rmtab file. When receiving an unmount request, that entry is removed. user level part of the NFS service. However, this file is mostly ornamental. One, the client can continue to use the file handle even after calling rpc.mountd 's UMOUNT proce- dure. And two, if a client reboots without notifying rpc.mountd , a stale entry will remain in rmtab. OPTIONS
-d kind or --debug kind Turn on debugging for kind. -F or --foreground Run in foreground (do not daemonize) -f or --exports-file This option specifies the exports file, listing the clients that this server is prepared to serve and parameters to apply to each such mount (see exports(5)). By default, export information is read from /etc/exports. -h or --help Display usage message. -o num or --descriptors num Set the limit of the number of open file descriptors to num. The default is 256. -N or --no-nfs-version This option can be used to request that rpc.mountd do not offer certain versions of NFS. The current version of rpc.mountd can sup- port both NFS version 2 and the newer version 3. If the NFS kernel module was compiled without support for NFSv3, rpc.mountd must be invoked with the option --no-nfs-version 3 . -n or --no-tcp Don't advertise TCP for mount. -P Ignored (compatibility with unfsd??). -p or --port num Force rpc.mountd to bind to the specified port num, instead of using the random port number assigned by the portmapper. -V or --nfs-version This option can be used to request that rpc.mountd offer certain versions of NFS. The current version of rpc.mountd can support both NFS version 2 and the newer version 3. -v or --version Print the version of rpc.mountd and exit. TCP_WRAPPERS SUPPORT This rpc.mountd version is protected by the tcp_wrapper library. You have to give the clients access to rpc.mountd if they should be allowed to use it. To allow connects from clients of the .bar.com domain you could use the following line in /etc/hosts.allow: mountd: .bar.com You have to use the daemon name mountd for the daemon name (even if the binary has a different name). For further information please have a look at the tcpd(8) and hosts_access(5) manual pages. SEE ALSO
rpc.nfsd(8), exportfs(8), exports(5), rpc.rquotad(8). FILES
/etc/exports, /var/lib/nfs/xtab. AUTHOR
Olaf Kirch, H. J. Lu, G. Allan Morris III, and a host of others. 25 Aug 2000 rpc.mountd(8)