Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching for exact match using grep Post 302884091 by ziggy6 on Friday 17th of January 2014 11:26:14 AM
Old 01-17-2014
Searching for exact match using grep

I am searching for an exact match on a value read from another file to lookup an email address in another file. The file being checked is called "contacts" and it has Act #, email address, and contact person.
Code:
1693;abc1693@yahoo.comt;Tommy D
6423;abc6423@yahoo.comt;Jim Doran
6491;abc6491@gamil.comdt;Snowden
155;xyz155@gmail.com; Lenny Melfi
442;xyz422@test.com; Tommy Davis
2155;abc2155@google.com; Cindy F

Code:
email=`grep $acc /u/star/contacts|cut -f2 -d';'`

The results give me 155 and 2155 and I only want to get 155 as a match so I get email = xyz155@gamail.com and email = abx2155@google.com. Any suggestions on how to get only 155?

Last edited by Scott; 01-17-2014 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags for code blocks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Exact Match thru grep ?????

hey..... i do have text where the contents are like as follows, FILE_TYPE_NUM_01=FILE_TYPE=01|FILE_DESC=Periodic|FILE_SCHDL_TYPE=Daily|FILE_SCHDL=|FILE_SCHDL_TIME=9:00am|RESULTS=B FILE_TYPE_NUM_02=FILE_TYPE=02|FILE_DESC=NCTO|FILE_SCHDL_TYPE=Daily|FILE_SCHDL=|FILE_SCHDL_TIME=9:00am|RESULTS=M... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for exact match in a string ??

Hi I have a string of the form XY_X1998.10.500. I want to check in a script that the middle part is always 10. How to achieve this? e.g the input can be XY_X1998.20.500 OR XY_X1998.50.500 OR XY_X1998.10.500. I have to print Yes everytime the middle value is 10 and NO when the middle... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
2 Replies

3. Solaris

grep exact match

Hi This time I'm trying to grep for an exact match e.g cat.dog.horse.cow.bird.pig horse.dog.pig pig.cat.horse.dog horse dog dog pig.dog pig.dog.bird how do I grep for dog only so that a wc -l would result 2 in above case. Thanks in advance ---------- Post updated at 06:33 AM... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rob171171
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and sed exact match questions

This was mistaken as homework in a different forum, but is not. These are questions that are close to what I am trying to do at work. QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and sed exact match questions

This post was previously mistaken for homework, but is actually a small piece of what I working on at work. Please answer if you can. QUESTION1 How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodc
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep two words with exact match

HI Input : Counters Counter Int Ints Counters Counters Ints Ints I want to grep Counter|Int Output : Counter (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep or sed - printing line only with exact match

Hello. In my script, some command return : q | kernel-default | package | 3.19.0-1.1.g8a7d5f9 | x86_64 | openSUSE-13.2-Kernel_stable_standard | kernel-default | package | 3.19.0-1.1.g8a7d5f9 | i586 | openSUSE-13.2-Kernel_stable_standard | kernel-default ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep exact match

Hello! I have 2 files named tacs.tmp and tacDB.txt tacs.tmp looks like this 0 10235647 102700 106800 107200 1105700 tacDB.txt looks like this 100100,Mitsubishi,G410,Handheld,,0,0,0 100200,Siemens,A53,Handheld,,0,0,0 100300,Sony Ericsson,TBD (AAB-1880030-BV),Handheld,,0,0,0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cludgie
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep exact match without period or other special characters

If I have a file like the following abc.1 abc abc_1 abc..1 abc*1 abc@1 abc def ghr def...... ddef 5466 def ed def** 123445 I`m trying to find exact words from the list abc def (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for an exact match in a file

I am currently having some issues while trying to grep for a exact string inside a file. I have tried doing this from command line and things work fine i.e. when no match is found, return code=1 but when its done as part of my script it returns 0 for the same command - I dont know if there is an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ads89
6 Replies
KABCCLIENT(1)							 KDE User's Manual						     KABCCLIENT(1)

NAME
kabcclient - commandline client for the KDE addressbook SYNOPSIS
kabcclient [[-A] | [-R] | [-M] | [-S] | [-L]] [--match-case] [--nosave] [-ic codec] [-if format] [-if-opts format-options] [-oc codec] [-of format] [-of-opts format-options] [input-data] DESCRIPTION
kabcclient allows commandline access to the KDE addressbook, for example in shell scripts. It supports input from stdin or through additional commandline arguments. Output is always written to stdout. OPTIONS
Operation modes -A, --add Add a new contact entry to the addressbook -R, --remove Removes an existing contact entry from the addressbook -M, --merge Merges input data with an existing contact entry from the addressbook. This appends any new information to the already existing one -S, --search Searches the addressbook for matching contact entries -L, --list Lists all contact entries of the addressbook Input options -ic, --input-codec Pass input text through a specified text encoding. See -ic help for additional information about input codecs. Default is local which will use the codec for the current locale(5) settings -if, --input-format Parses the input text according to given formatting rules. See -if help for available formats. Default is search Instead of reading input text kabcclient can show a dialog for selecting contacts using the input format dialog -if-opts, --input-format-options Additional options for the chosen input format. Can be optional as well as mandatory depending on the format. See -if-opts help for available format options Output options -oc, --output-codec Pass output text through a specified text encoding. See -oc help for additional information about output codecs. Default is local which will use the codec for the current locale(5) settings. -of, --output-format Formats the output text according to given formatting rules. See -of help for available formats. Default is vcard -of-opts, --output-format-options Additional options for the chosen output format. Can be optional as well as mandatory depending on the format. See -of-opts help for available format options Additional options --match-case Use case sensitive text matching when comparing input text with contact entries --nosave Perform information changing operations like -A, -R or -M only in memory but do not write the changes back to the addressbook DIAGNOSTICS
As usual an exit status of zero indicates success. Depending on the chosen operation mode a non-zero exit status indicates a certain problem the application encountered ADD 1 Reading the input text failed 2 Creating a suitable contact entry from the input text failed, e.g. not data or wrongly formatted input for the chosen input format 3 Saving the addressbook changes failed. This can be caused for example by other applications currently locking the addressbook. REMOVE 1 Reading the input text failed 2 The program could not remove any contact entry from the addressbook. This can be caused by failing to parse the input text, failing to find a matching contact entry in the addressbook or finding more than one matching contact entry in the addressbook. In the latter case an error message is written to stderr 3 Saving the addressbook changes failed. This can be caused for example by other applications currently locking the addressbook. MERGE 1 Reading the input text failed 2 The program could not merge the input with any contact entry from the addressbook. This can be caused by failing to parse the input text, failing to find a matching contact entry in the addressbook or finding more than one matching contact entry in the addressbook. In the latter case an error message is written to stderr 3 Saving the addressbook changes failed. This can be caused for example by other applications currently locking the addressbook. SEARCH, 1 Reading the input text failed 2 The program could not find any matching contact entry in the addressbook. This can be caused by failing to parse the input text or failing to find a matching contact entry in the addressbook EXAMPLES
Look for contact entries with Joe in either name or email addresses kabcclient -S Joe Do the same but use case sensitive matching kabcclient --match-case -S Joe Do the same but read input text from stdin echo "Joe" | kabcclient --match-case -S Try to add a new contact entry using data from a formatted email address kabcclient --nosave --add -if email "Marilyn Monroe <mmonroe@moviestars.com>" Do the same but this time really save the changed addressbook kabcclient --add -if email "Marilyn Monroe <mmonroe@moviestars.com>" Listing the available input formats kabcclient -if help Listing the available output formats kabcclient -of help Listing the available options for the 'email' output format kabcclient -of email -of-opts help Listing all email addresses for all contacts containing 'Marilyn' kabcclient -of email -of-opts allemails -S Marilyn Remove all contacts the user selected in the contact selection dialog kabcclient --remove -if dialog Export selected contacts to a VCard (default output format) file kabcclient -S -if dialog > contacts.vcf AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at>. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. AUTHOR
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at> Author K Desktop Environment 2005-09-08 KABCCLIENT(1)