Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Queries Regarding MigratePV
Operating Systems AIX Queries Regarding MigratePV Post 302883988 by bakunin on Friday 17th of January 2014 05:18:03 AM
Old 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbatte1
There is no need to mirror, sync unmirror.
It is true, you can do it this way and it surely will work. Still, if you use "migratepv" PPs are moved serially - one after the other. Using "mirrorvg" works in parallel (and possibly background, see the "-S" option) which can speed things up, especially when SAN disks are involved.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Some queries...

Guys need some advice on how to check some of the questions below? i'm running on an open VMS platform... which i am an idiot to... appreciate if anyone can give some hints or source on how to check on.. a script that is running on cron job... but doesn't run as the login user name.. 1. why... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 12yearold
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Two small queries

Query 1 : How to check if a directory already exists? If doesn't exist then create a new one. Query 2 : I want to put following text using a single echo statement into a log file and also want to retain the formatting of the text. How it can be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
3 Replies

3. AIX

migratepv

Hello Admins, When using migratepv is it necessary to use the bosboot command? coz i did made i migratepv under the rootvg which is /home fs to the other disk...? is there are any problem when we rebooted our system? Regards, Winky (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: winky
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

my queries

hi guys Well, i need to have a report generation script or any script which will show me all the content/information of a file when i run that script. Please help me on this isssue at the earliest.As i am little bit aware of scripting.Thanks in advance! regards ash (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whizkidash
4 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Queries

Any help on like where to get started on this? I'm just confused. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Enter text here.Queries to satisfy these two report requests (use your CCI database): Retrieve all rows of active inventory where current on hands is less than... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakers34kb
0 Replies

6. AIX

migratepv problem

HI all, I have changed chldev command for just one hitachi lun and I moved data from EMC to hitachi extendvg VolumeGroupName hdisk_new migratepv hdisk_bad hdisk_new reducevg -d VolumeGroupName hdisk_EMC that vg has only one EMC_lun now i have more than one lun in one vg. i want to do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nibiru78
1 Replies

7. AIX

vio server's rootvg disk migratepv

Hi I need to do the migratepv for the rootvg disks of the vio servers ? The current rootvg disks are on DMX3 storage and the new disks will be given from VMAX. Our setup is dual vio servers with multipathing to the vio clients. What is the command to do the migratepv for the vio rootvg disks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
5 Replies

8. Programming

Combine 3 queries

can these 3 be combined into 1 query? createtablea1as selecta.tps_Res_nb, b.tkt_prod_cd, b.tkt_prod_typ_nm, b.prod_intrnl_ds, b.tkt_prod_typ_nm AS TKT_ENTL_NM, casewhen b.tkt_prod_nm isnotnullthen b.tkt_prod_nm when b.tkt_prod_nm isnulland b.prod_intrnl_ds isnotnullthen... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dwr80
1 Replies

9. Debian

GRUB Queries ?!

Hello, I am posting the following questions here because I need them answered by people who have actually done a lot of work in GRUB. DO NOT GIVE ME GUESS ANSWERS PLEASE. Feel free to redirect me if this is not the right place to ask these questions. Can I download GRUB separately from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
6 Replies

10. IP Networking

RDNS Queries

Hey everyone, I have a question, I've been playing around with tcpdump, and noticed my machine making numerous rdns look ups. They are displayed like: 10.80.80.141.51234 > 10.80.80.1.domain: 9950+ PTR? 223.114.55.65.in-addr.arpa. (44) My question is, if dns works based on numerical... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
0 Replies
CCD(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    CCD(4)

NAME
ccd -- Concatenated Disk driver SYNOPSIS
device ccd DESCRIPTION
The ccd driver provides the capability of combining one or more disks/partitions into one virtual disk. This document assumes that you are familiar with how to generate kernels, how to properly configure disks and devices in a kernel configura- tion file, and how to partition disks. In order to compile in support for the ccd, you must add a line similar to the following to your kernel configuration file: device ccd # concatenated disk devices As of the FreeBSD 3.0 release, you do not need to configure your kernel with ccd but may instead use it as a kernel loadable module. Simply running ccdconfig(8) will load the module into the kernel. A ccd may be either serially concatenated or interleaved. To serially concatenate the partitions, specify the interleave factor of 0. Note that mirroring may not be used with an interleave factor of 0. There is a run-time utility that is used for configuring ccds. See ccdconfig(8) for more information. The Interleave Factor If a ccd is interleaved correctly, a ``striping'' effect is achieved, which can increase sequential read/write performance. The interleave factor is expressed in units of DEV_BSIZE (usually 512 bytes). For large writes, the optimum interleave factor is typically the size of a track, while for large reads, it is about a quarter of a track. (Note that this changes greatly depending on the number and speed of disks.) For instance, with eight 7,200 RPM drives on two Fast-Wide SCSI buses, this translates to about 128 for writes and 32 for reads. A larger interleave tends to work better when the disk is taking a multitasking load by localizing the file I/O from any given process onto a single disk. You lose sequential performance when you do this, but sequential performance is not usually an issue with a multitasking load. An interleave factor must be specified when using a mirroring configuration, even when you have only two disks (i.e., the layout winds up being the same no matter what the interleave factor). The interleave factor will determine how I/O is broken up, however, and a value 128 or greater is recommended. ccd has an option for a parity disk, but does not currently implement it. The best performance is achieved if all component disks have the same geometry and size. Optimum striping cannot occur with different disk types. For random-access oriented workloads, such as news servers, a larger interleave factor (e.g., 65,536) is more desirable. Note that there is not much ccd can do to speed up applications that are seek-time limited. Larger interleave factors will at least reduce the chance of having to seek two disk-heads to read one directory or a file. Disk Mirroring You can configure the ccd to ``mirror'' any even number of disks. See ccdconfig(8) for how to specify the necessary flags. For example, if you have a ccd configuration specifying four disks, the first two disks will be mirrored with the second two disks. A write will be run to both sides of the mirror. A read will be run to either side of the mirror depending on what the driver believes to be most optimal. If the read fails, the driver will automatically attempt to read the same sector from the other side of the mirror. Currently ccd uses a dual seek zone model to optimize reads for a multi-tasking load rather than a sequential load. In an event of a disk failure, you can use dd(1) to recover the failed disk. Note that a one-disk ccd is not the same as the original partition. In particular, this means if you have a file system on a two-disk mir- rored ccd and one of the disks fail, you cannot mount and use the remaining partition as itself; you have to configure it as a one-disk ccd. You cannot replace a disk in a mirrored ccd partition without first backing up the partition, then replacing the disk, then restoring the partition. Linux Compatibility The Linux compatibility mode does not try to read the label that Linux' md(4) driver leaves on the raw devices. You will have to give the order of devices and the interleave factor on your own. When in Linux compatibility mode, ccd will convert the interleave factor from Linux terminology. That means you give the same interleave factor that you gave as chunk size in Linux. If you have a Linux md(4) device in ``legacy'' mode, do not use the CCDF_LINUX flag in ccdconfig(8). Use the CCDF_NO_OFFSET flag instead. In that case you have to convert the interleave factor on your own, usually it is Linux' chunk size multiplied by two. Using a Linux RAID this way is potentially dangerous and can destroy the data in there. Since FreeBSD does not read the label used by Linux, changes in Linux might invalidate the compatibility layer. However, using this is reasonably safe if you test the compatibility before mounting a RAID read-write for the first time. Just using ccdconfig(8) without mounting does not write anything to the Linux RAID. Then you do a fsck.ext2fs (ports/sysutils/e2fsprogs) on the ccd device using the -n flag. You can mount the file system read-only to check files in there. If all this works, it is unlikely that there is a problem with ccd. Keep in mind that even when the Linux compatibility mode in ccd is working correctly, bugs in FreeBSD's ex2fs implemen- tation would still destroy your data. WARNINGS
If just one (or more) of the disks in a ccd fails, the entire file system will be lost unless you are mirroring the disks. If one of the disks in a mirror is lost, you should still be able to back up your data. If a write error occurs, however, data read from that sector may be non-deterministic. It may return the data prior to the write or it may return the data that was written. When a write error occurs, you should recover and regenerate the data as soon as possible. Changing the interleave or other parameters for a ccd disk usually destroys whatever data previously existed on that disk. FILES
/dev/ccd* ccd device special files SEE ALSO
dd(1), ccdconfig(8), config(8), disklabel(8), fsck(8), gvinum(8), mount(8), newfs(8) HISTORY
The concatenated disk driver was originally written at the University of Utah. BSD
August 9, 1995 BSD