Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: GRUB Queries ?!
Operating Systems Linux Debian GRUB Queries ?! Post 302883856 by Corona688 on Thursday 16th of January 2014 10:57:14 AM
Old 01-16-2014
GRUB is often packaged by distributions to make it easier to install and upgrade.

GRUB's very reason to exist is because it uses configuration files instead of finicky bits hardcoded inside the MBR or some other hard-to-access disk location. That's quite a feat for a mere bootloader -- reading files generally needs the OSes help. That's what makes GRUB so big and complicated (for a bootloader, anyway). That's also what makes grub so flexible.

Other bootloaders like lilo cannot actually access files before anything boots. It must cache its configuration in the MBR or some other difficult-to-read place before before it will take effect.

GRUB usually uses Windows' bootloader to load Windows. It doesn't have to overwrite it due to the way Windows stores it. A simple 'chainloader' command tells grub to load the MBR from the Windows partition and it can handle itself from there.

Last edited by Corona688; 01-16-2014 at 12:02 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Some queries...

Guys need some advice on how to check some of the questions below? i'm running on an open VMS platform... which i am an idiot to... appreciate if anyone can give some hints or source on how to check on.. a script that is running on cron job... but doesn't run as the login user name.. 1. why... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 12yearold
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grub problem- keeps rebooting as soon as it tries to do grub

Hi, I installed solaris 10 a few weeks ago. It was working fine during the past two weeks. However, now when I start to load to the drive, I get this problem: The BIOS screen comes up like normal, then screen goes blank and a message "Grub loading stage 2" flashes real quick then the computer... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moesays
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

my queries

hi guys Well, i need to have a report generation script or any script which will show me all the content/information of a file when i run that script. Please help me on this isssue at the earliest.As i am little bit aware of scripting.Thanks in advance! regards ash (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whizkidash
4 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Queries

Any help on like where to get started on this? I'm just confused. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Enter text here.Queries to satisfy these two report requests (use your CCI database): Retrieve all rows of active inventory where current on hands is less than... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakers34kb
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Can we specify which grub.conf to use in grub-install.

Hi, Can we specify which grub.conf to use while installing grub on RHEL. We are working on application which requires different grub configurations needed, depending on certain criteria we need to update grub with correct grub.conf. Can we use grub-install for this purpose? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: successlin
4 Replies

6. Programming

Combine 3 queries

can these 3 be combined into 1 query? createtablea1as selecta.tps_Res_nb, b.tkt_prod_cd, b.tkt_prod_typ_nm, b.prod_intrnl_ds, b.tkt_prod_typ_nm AS TKT_ENTL_NM, casewhen b.tkt_prod_nm isnotnullthen b.tkt_prod_nm when b.tkt_prod_nm isnulland b.prod_intrnl_ds isnotnullthen... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dwr80
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How many DNS queries

Is there any way to see how many queries come into our external DNS server? In looking at DNS providers, most of them base pricing on number of queries per month so I just wanted to see if you had any idea/way of gathering that data? A rough ballpark figure would even work. Our DNS server is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raggmopp
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"/boot/grub/grub.conf" VS "/etc/grub.conf"

can someone please explain me the difference between these two files: "/boot/grub/grub.conf" and "/etc/grub.conf" .. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunn3r
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab queries

Hi Expert, How to schedule a job on last day of the month. Need your kind help. Regards, PK (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkrabi78
3 Replies
GRUB-INSTALL(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   GRUB-INSTALL(1)

NAME
grub-install -- Install GRUB on a device. SYNOPSIS
grub-install [--modules=MODULES] [--install-modules=MODULES] [--themes=THEMES] [--fonts=FONTS] [--locales=LOCALES] [--compress[=no,xz,gz,lzo]] [-d | --directory=DIR] [--grub-mkimage=FILE] [--boot-directory=DIR] [--target=TARGET] [--grub-setup=FILE] [--grub-mkrelpath=FILE] [--grub-probe=FILE] [--allow-floppy] [--recheck] [--force] [--force-file-id] [--disk-module=MODULE] [--no-nvram] [--removable] [--bootloader-id=ID] [--efi-directory=DIR] INSTALL_DEVICE DESCRIPTION
grub-install installs GRUB onto a device. This includes copying GRUB images into the target directory (generally /boot/grub), and on some platforms may also include installing GRUB onto a boot sector. OPTIONS
--modules=MODULES Pre-load modules specified by MODULES. --install-modules=MODULES Install only MODULES and their dependencies. The default is to install all available modules. --themes=THEMES Install THEMES. The default is to install the starfield theme, if available. --fonts=FONTS Install FONTS. The default is to install the unicode font. --locales=LOCALES Install only locales listed in LOCALES. The default is to install all available locales. --compress=no,xz,gz,lzo Compress GRUB files using the specified compression algorithm. --directory=DIR Use images and modules in DIR. --grub-mkimage=FILE Use FILE as grub-mkimage. The default is /usr/bin/grub-mkimage. --boot-directory=DIR Use DIR as the boot directory. The default is /boot. GRUB will put its files in a subdirectory of this directory named grub. --target=TARGET Install GRUB for TARGET platform. The default is the platform grub-install is running on. --grub-setup=FILE Use FILE as grub-setup. The default is /usr/bin/grub-setup. --grub-mkrelpath=FILE Use FILE as grub-mkrelpath. The default is /usr/bin/grub-mkrelpath. --grub-probe=FILE Use FILE as grub-probe. The default is /usr/bin/grub-mkrelpath. --allow-floppy Make the device also bootable as a floppy. This option is the default for /dev/fdX devices. Some BIOSes will not boot images cre- ated with this option. --recheck Delete any existing device map and create a new one if necessary. --force Install even if problems are detected. --force-file-id Use identifier file even if UUID is available. --disk-module=MODULE Use MODULE for disk access. This allows you to manually specify either biosdisk or native disk access. This option is only avail- able on the BIOS target platform. --no-nvram Do not update the boot-device NVRAM variable. This option is only available on IEEE1275 target platforms. --removable Treat the target device as if it is removeable. This option is only available on the EFI target platform. --bootloader-id=ID Use ID as the bootloader ID. This opption is only available on the EFI target platform. --efi-directory=DIR Use DIR as the EFI System Partition root. This opption is only available on the EFI ta rget platform. INSTALL_DEVICE Install GRUB to the block device INSTALL_DEVICE. SEE ALSO
info grub Wed Feb 26 2014 GRUB-INSTALL(1)