Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Delete big directory issue
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete big directory issue Post 302883696 by learnbash on Wednesday 15th of January 2014 02:54:00 PM
Old 01-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInGermany
The /bin/rm binary should be the fastest.
Please state your OS and file system type!
Code:
uname
df $date

Code:
1) Linux RHEL5
2) ext3
3) kernel 2.6
3) currently i am
4) Filesystem is 70% available disk space.

---------- Post updated at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:51 PM ----------

Please check below link, is it possible we can do something for directories too..

How to delete million of files on busy Linux servers (Work out Argument list too long) | Walking in Light with Christ - Faith, Computing, Diary

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to make big directory structure

Hi, I'm a novice and I'd like to make a directory structure with a hundred or so folders. I've tried mkdir /foo/foo1/etc... mkdir /foo/foo2/etc mkdir /foo/foo3/etc mkdir /foo/foo4/etc ...but it appends '@' to each folder name and then fails on the subdirectories. Is it better to use a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamur
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Processing very big directory

Hello, I have a very big directory with lots of small files. Just doing a single "ls" takes eternity, so I even can't know how many files the directory has. I need to get the newest files in the last 15 minutes, but I can't get an eficient way of doing it. I've tried find, perl, shell script,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psimoes79
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find which dir is big size in a directory

Hi all, Could you please tellme the commadn which sorts the list of directories in a parent dir by their size. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Empty Directory, big size

Hello, Can somebody please explain why I have EMPTY directories on HP-UX with BIG SIZE ? Thank you ! Double post, continued here (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
0 Replies

5. HP-UX

Empty Directory, big size

Hello, Can you please explain why I have various empty directories with large size ? OS is B.11.11 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hello - Have a big issue need help please ASAP

I have been using this simple grep command to extract fields from a file that ALPHANUMERIC field has been set to 16 grep -w 'ALPHANUMERIC *16' filename ------------------------- sample data file SAMP_RICS "SAMPLE RICS" 5694 NULL ALPHANUMERIC 60 RMTES_STRING ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete rows from big file

Hi all, I have a big file (about 6 millions rows) and I have to delete same occurrences, stored in a small file (about 9000 rews). I have tried this: while read line do grep -v $line big_file > ok_file.tmp mv ok_file.tmp big_file done < small_file It works, but is very slow. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tibbeche
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete first 100 lines from a BIG File

Hi, I need a unix command to delete first n (say 100) lines from a log file. I need to delete some lines from the file without using any temporary file. I found sed -i is an useful command for this but its not supported in my environment( AIX 6.1 ). File size is approx 100MB. Thanks in... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: unohu
18 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete records from a big file based on some condition

Hi, To load a big file in a table,I have a make sure that all rows in the file has same number of the columns . So in my file if I am getting any rows which have columns not equal to 6 , I need to delete it . Delimiter is space and columns are optionally enclosed by "". This can be ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hemantraijain
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Big /etc/group creating issue

I have Solaris-10 with kernel patch 142900-03, Update 7 Sparc server. root@ddlomps40:/# uname -a SunOS ddlomps40 5.10 Generic_142900-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise root@ddlomps40:/# cat /etc/release Solaris 10 5/09 s10s_u7wos_08 SPARC Copyright 2009 Sun... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
5 Replies
PARTX(8)						       System Administration							  PARTX(8)

NAME
partx - tell the kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions SYNOPSIS
partx [-a|-d|-P|-r|-s|-u] [-t type] [-n M:N] [-] disk partx [-a|-d|-P|-r|-s|-u] [-t type] partition [disk] DESCRIPTION
Given a device or disk-image, partx tries to parse the partition table and list its contents. It can also tell the kernel to add or remove partitions from its bookkeeping. The disk argument is optional when a partition argument is provided. To force scanning a partition as if it were a whole disk (for example to list nested subpartitions), use the argument "-" (hyphen-minus). For example: partx --show - /dev/sda3 This will see sda3 as a whole-disk rather than as a partition. partx is not an fdisk program - adding and removing partitions does not change the disk, it just tells the kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions. OPTIONS
-a, --add Add the specified partitions, or read the disk and add all partitions. -b, --bytes Print the SIZE column in bytes rather than in human-readable format. -d, --delete Delete the specified partitions or all partitions. -g, --noheadings Do not print a header line with --show or --raw. -l, --list List the partitions. Note that all numbers are in 512-byte sectors. This output format is DEPRECATED in favour of --show. Do not use it in newly written scripts. -n, --nr M:N Specify the range of partitions. For backward compatibility also the format M-N is supported. The range may contain negative num- bers, for example --nr -1:-1 means the last partition, and --nr -2:-1 means the last two partitions. Supported range specifications are: M Specifies just one partition (e.g. --nr 3). M: Specifies the lower limit only (e.g. --nr 2:). :N Specifies the upper limit only (e.g. --nr :4). M:N Specifies the lower and upper limits (e.g. --nr 2:4). -o, --output list Define the output columns to use for --show, --pairs and --raw output. If no output arrangement is specified, then a default set is used. Use --help to get list of all supported columns. This option cannot be combined with the --add, --delete, --update or --list options. -P, --pairs List the partitions using the KEY="value" format. -r, --raw List the partitions using the raw output format. -s, --show List the partitions. The output columns can be selected and rearranged with the --output option. All numbers (except SIZE) are in 512-byte sectors. -t, --type type Specify the partition table type. --list-types List supported partition types and exit. -u, --update Update the specified partitions. -S, --sector-size size Overwrite default sector size. -v, --verbose Verbose mode. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
partx --show /dev/sdb3 partx --show --nr 3 /dev/sdb partx --show /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb All three commands list partition 3 of /dev/sdb. partx --show - /dev/sdb3 Lists all subpartitions on /dev/sdb3 (the device is used as whole-disk). partx -o START -g --nr 5 /dev/sdb Prints the start sector of partition 5 on /dev/sdb without header. partx -o SECTORS,SIZE /dev/sda5 /dev/sda Lists the length in sectors and human-readable size of partition 5 on /dev/sda. partx --add --nr 3:5 /dev/sdd Adds all available partitions from 3 to 5 (inclusive) on /dev/sdd. partx -d --nr :-1 /dev/sdd Removes the last partition on /dev/sdd. SEE ALSO
addpart(8), delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8) AUTHORS
Davidlohr Bueso <dave@gnu.org> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> The original version was written by Andries E. Brouwer <aeb@cwi.nl>. ENVIRONMENT
LIBBLKID_DEBUG=all enables libblkid debug output. AVAILABILITY
The partx command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux December 2014 PARTX(8)