Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Opening a file in vi editor is giving out of memory error Post 302883661 by bakunin on Wednesday 15th of January 2014 01:15:57 PM
Old 01-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
I do not think you can expect to edit a 70-megabyte file in vi.
In principle this is possible. Make sure you have enough room in the filesystem where vi writes its temporary files, because the first thing vi when opening a file does is to create a temporary working copy. Usually this directory is /var/tmp, but it can be configured to be elsewhere.

Furthermore you need to have enough (free) memory available to accomodate such a large process. This means not only to have it but also to be allowed to use it (check with uname -a).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
If you just want to view it, try less filename
On AIX you should rather use more, especially as the AIX more can search, scroll forwards/backwards and do all sorts of useful things most people turn to less for. You could also use view, which is practically a vi in read-only mode.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to know whether that file has eol or noeol before opening that file in VI editor

Hi, I want to check whether file has EOL or NOEOL before opening this file in VI editor. My file is very big its in terms of 15-20 MB. I am using ksh for this. When we opened the file in vi editor, normally at last line we are able to see whether this is eol or noeol file. But i does want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HariRaju
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

messages file memory error

Hi, Does anyone know if this is a patch error or a real memory problem, its happening a lot and wanted to know what to expect if I reboot it. prtdiag shows no errors. the system is anetra running solaris9 5.9 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIi-cEngine Jan 5 15:23:39 t1 last message... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sun-days
1 Replies

3. AIX

Shared memory giving wrong value

Hi , I am working on AIX 5.3 server.I have small program which stores the from database to a particaular shared memory.But while retreiving the valus from the same shared memory, i am getting wrong values. Please help..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
1 Replies

4. Programming

Error found while opening any pdf file from IE 6

Hello All, My application is followed J2ee architecture. It contains Java and jsp codes. This application generates some reports in pdf format. I am using Weblogic 10.3 and jdk 6. While I want to open the pdf in IE 6 with service pack 2 , the pdf not showing properly. It comes in byte code.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyankak
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read/Search file being written to giving error due to timing issues

The following is a piece of code to rename LOG_FILE_NEW to LOG_FILE once you get a result (either RUNNING or SHUTDOWN) RESULT="" sleep 30 while ; do sleep 10 RESULT=`sed -n '/RUNNING/'p ${LOG_FILE_NEW}` if ; then RESULT=`sed -n '/SHUTTING_DOWN/'p ${LOG_FILE_NEW}` fi done mv... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonorous
3 Replies

6. Programming

Error in opening a file C++

Hi, I have written a function which will open the file with the input name provided.Input name is in string format so while opening I am converting it using c_str().detail code below Plz let me know what is the wrong in code. 1 #include<iostream> 2 #include<fstream> 3 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: forstudy3
4 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Error opening script file - location error

Hello, I know nothing about UNIX, ftp, etc. I am building an excel VBA macro which calls a .bat file. I've taken a pre-existing batch file and am trying to modify it to fit my purposes. I would be very grateful for some assistance. Here is my .bat file: echo off set... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: starcraftbud
9 Replies

8. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Memory value editor.

Anybody know a equivalent program similar to T-Search for Mac and Linux. T-Search allows a person to load a program and edit memory values. Many people use to it edited lives or scores on games etc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: codecaine
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -i option giving error no such file or directory

I created a shell with sed -i option. It is giving error - No such file or directory Ex - sed -i 's/yes/no' yes.txt sed -i 's/why/where' yes.txt sed -i 's/when/how' yes.txt Error - :No such file or directory When I run single line in my script say sed -i 's/yes/no' yes.txt... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahoo
10 Replies
Bio::Structure::Atom(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Bio::Structure::Atom(3pm)

NAME
Bio::Structure::Atom - Bioperl structure Object, describes an Atom SYNOPSIS
#add synopsis here DESCRIPTION
This object stores a Bio::Structure::Atom FEEDBACK
Mailing Lists User feedback is an integral part of the evolution of this and other Bioperl modules. Send your comments and suggestions preferably to one of the Bioperl mailing lists. Your participation is much appreciated. bioperl-l@bioperl.org - General discussion http://bioperl.org/wiki/Mailing_lists - About the mailing lists Support Please direct usage questions or support issues to the mailing list: bioperl-l@bioperl.org rather than to the module maintainer directly. Many experienced and reponsive experts will be able look at the problem and quickly address it. Please include a thorough description of the problem with code and data examples if at all possible. Reporting Bugs Report bugs to the Bioperl bug tracking system to help us keep track the bugs and their resolution. Bug reports can be submitted via the web: https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/bioperl/ AUTHOR - Kris Boulez Email kris.boulez@algonomics.com APPENDIX
The rest of the documentation details each of the object methods. Internal methods are usually preceded with a _ new() Title : new() Usage : $struc = Bio::Structure::Atom->new( -id => 'human_id', ); Function: Returns a new Bio::Structure::Atom object from basic constructors. Probably most called from Bio::Structure::IO. Returns : a new Bio::Structure::Atom object x() Title : x Usage : $x = $atom->x($x); Function: Set/gets the X coordinate for an Atom Returns : The value for the X coordinate of the Atom (This is just a number, it is expected to be in Angstrom, but no garantees) Args : The X coordinate as a number y() Title : y Usage : $y = $atom->y($y); Function: Set/gets the Y coordinate for an Atom Returns : The value for the Y coordinate of the Atom (This is just a number, it is eypected to be in Angstrom, but no garantees) Args : The Y coordinate as a number z() Title : z Usage : $z = $atom->z($z); Function: Set/gets the Z coordinate for an Atom Returns : The value for the Z coordinate of the Atom (This is just a number, it is ezpected to be in Angstrom, but no garantees) Args : The Z coordinate as a number xyz() Title : xyz Usage : ($x,$y,$z) = $atom->xyz; Function: Gets the XYZ coordinates for an Atom Returns : A list with the value for the XYZ coordinate of the Atom Args : residue() Title : residue Usage : Function: No code here, all parent/child stuff via Entry Returns : Args : icode() Title : icode Usage : $icode = $atom->icode($icode) Function: Sets/gets the icode Returns : Returns the icode for this atom Args : reference to an Atom serial() Title : serial Usage : $serial = $atom->serial($serial) Function: Sets/gets the serial number Returns : Returns the serial number for this atom Args : reference to an Atom occupancy() Title : occupancy Usage : $occupancy = $atom->occupancy($occupancy) Function: Sets/gets the occupancy Returns : Returns the occupancy for this atom Args : reference to an Atom tempfactor() Title : tempfactor Usage : $tempfactor = $atom->tempfactor($tempfactor) Function: Sets/gets the tempfactor Returns : Returns the tempfactor for this atom Args : reference to an Atom segID() Title : segID Usage : $segID = $atom->segID($segID) Function: Sets/gets the segID Returns : Returns the segID for this atom Args : reference to an Atom pdb_atomname() Title : pdb_atomname Usage : $pdb_atomname = $atom->pdb_atomname($pdb_atomname) Function: Sets/gets the pdb_atomname (atomname used in the PDB file) Returns : Returns the pdb_atomname for this atom Args : reference to an Atom element() Title : element Usage : $element = $atom->element($element) Function: Sets/gets the element Returns : Returns the element for this atom Args : reference to an Atom charge() Title : charge Usage : $charge = $atom->charge($charge) Function: Sets/gets the charge Returns : Returns the charge for this atom Args : reference to an Atom sigx() Title : sigx Usage : $sigx = $atom->sigx($sigx) Function: Sets/gets the sigx Returns : Returns the sigx for this atom Args : reference to an Atom sigy() Title : sigy Usage : $sigy = $atom->sigy($sigy) Function: Sets/gets the sigy Returns : Returns the sigy for this atom Args : reference to an Atom sigz() Title : sigz Usage : $sigz = $atom->sigz($sigz) Function: Sets/gets the sigz Returns : Returns the sigz for this atom Args : reference to an Atom sigocc() Title : sigocc Usage : $sigocc = $atom->sigocc($sigocc) Function: Sets/gets the sigocc Returns : Returns the sigocc for this atom Args : reference to an Atom sigtemp() Title : sigtemp Usage : $sigtemp = $atom->sigtemp($sigtemp) Function: Sets/gets the sigtemp Returns : Returns the sigtemp for this atom Args : reference to an Atom aniso() Title : aniso Usage : $u12 = $atom->aniso("u12", $u12) Function: Sets/gets the anisotropic temperature factors Returns : Returns the requested factor for this atom Args : reference to an Atom, name of the factor, value for the factor id() Title : id Usage : $atom->id("CZ2") Function: Gets/sets the ID for this atom Returns : the ID Args : the ID _remove_residue() Title : _remove_residue Usage : Function: Removes the Residue this Atom is atttached to. Returns : Args : _grandparent() Title : _grandparent Usage : Function: get/set a symbolic reference to our grandparent Returns : Args : perl v5.14.2 2012-03-02 Bio::Structure::Atom(3pm)